Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr.stinki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Look at this picture, what stands out the most?

It seems to me that apple is over plastic, and is going to make a transition for the current macbooks into an aluminum design.

Your thoughts?

Attachments

• whichmacfamily20080115.jpg
    whichmacfamily20080115.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 428

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Doubt it. The MacBook is still a relatively new design for Apple...

janitorC7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
California
I think that the air will get some more features soon, see a price drop and replace the macbook.....
I would say at macworld 09

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I'd rather have a plastic MacBook than an aluminum one. Plastic feels better, is more durable, and doesn't wear as easily. But, that's just my two cents.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
No, I just felt like posting it.

k, i do agree with you though, the macbook looks like a slightly updated ibook g3/g4

I think that the air will get some more features soon, see a price drop and replace the macbook.....
I would say at macworld 09
possible, but apple will never remove the cddrive/dvd from their base model (and best selling) laptop not to mention expansion ports

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
what? it looks just like a G3 ibook...

Not really, there are differences.

I see the similarities, but there's only so much you can do with a Notebook before it becomes say... a toilet seat...

cudo

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2007
In my head.
reading ur posts make me wait for the upgrade but my heart tells me to get one tomorrow..so i dont know what to do...wait or go for it..

DCSMAC

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2005
will montevina's X4500 be a big step forward in terms of graphics capabilities or not really?

b9sinner

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2008
sweden
well as my first post , I must say that i would like them to change to gunmetall or grey like this pic ive made.

:cool:

Attachments

• gunmetall.jpg
    gunmetall.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 264

McBeats

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2007
erf
ya i see them updating the design of the MBP before they do the macbooks, macbook design is still relativly new

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I like the design of the macbooks, but the plastic they use is ****. I've never seen plastic that scratches as easily as the white macbooks - just by breathing on it you'll get scratches. My girlfriend's macbook is never taken out of the house and sits mainly on a desk and it has scratches all over, most tiny micro scratches but still....

I don't think the average PC laptop - even the cheapest - gets scratches this easy. it's time for a new material! Something that is suitable for a laptop! Duh. The design is nice (except the ridiculously sharp edges), but the materials need some change. Just my opinion.

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
I'd buy an aluminium MacBook right away, if there was one.
I really thought there would be one before last christmas, but seems like I was wrong :)

There's probably going to be a MBP update first. But if we get lucky Apple will update MBP and MB simultaneously .

I'm most likely going to buy another MacBook soon anyway, but it would be fun if it was updated first.

murc585

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
i doubt they will change the macbook design for a little while. They have the new keyboard in it, it had a major thickness difference from the ibook, the size for one is different as well. If anything, the Macbook Pro will get a redesign, it looks the same as powerbooks did 5 years ago.

Ryuukumori

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2008
Look at this picture, what stands out the most?

It seems to me that apple is over plastic, and is going to make a transition for the current macbooks into an aluminum design.

Your thoughts?

Haha! Notice that the MBA is in the very center of all the rest? Talk about fame!

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
aluminum one day for sure, but the design team are quite small and they can only really do one major product at a time - i'd say there are other things at the front of the queue like the cinema displays, MBP and even the MP would probably be in line for a bit of a refresh (though i love the design and i'm keeping my MP case forever - when it's dead i'm building a PC out of the case!), not to mention any new products that apple are working on.

We might even see the iPhone2 with a slightly different form factor

Spritey

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2006
Canada/Norway/USA
I'd rather have a plastic MacBook than an aluminum one. Plastic feels better, is more durable, and doesn't wear as easily. But, that's just my two cents.

More durable and less environmental friendly. At least aluminium cases can be recycled, so that's more inline with Apple's kind-of trying to be environmental friendly

Then again, don't see how aluminium is LESS durable than plastic...? Since when did plastic trump metal?

icec0ld

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2006
the plastic is "more" durable in the sense that it doesn't dent. i wouldn't call that more durable but thats what people mean generally when they say that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.