Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
I like the design of the macbooks, but the plastic they use is ****. I've never seen plastic that scratches as easily as the white macbooks - just by breathing on it you'll get scratches. My girlfriend's macbook is never taken out of the house and sits mainly on a desk and it has scratches all over, most tiny micro scratches but still....

I don't think the average PC laptop - even the cheapest - gets scratches this easy. it's time for a new material! Something that is suitable for a laptop! Duh. The design is nice (except the ridiculously sharp edges), but the materials need some change. Just my opinion.

Odd - my Macbook has done some serious travelling over the last eighteen months by train and motorcycle and the outer casing, while not pristine, is in very good nick with surprisingly few scratches.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
the plastic is "more" durable in the sense that it doesn't dent. i wouldn't call that more durable but thats what people mean generally when they say that.

In general plastic also flexes less. It also allows strong wifi signals through it.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
the plastic is "more" durable in the sense that it doesn't dent. i wouldn't call that more durable but thats what people mean generally when they say that.

It doesn't dent, but it spontaneously cracks : ) Every time I've been at the genius bar, somebody has come in with macbook with a cracked palmrest....talk about design flaw that anybody could have foreseen, even somebody like me.

Csmitte

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
Look at this picture, what stands out the most?

It seems to me that apple is over plastic, and is going to make a transition for the current macbooks into an aluminum design.

Your thoughts?

great family shot, they are probably due but i like the plastic its pretty durable.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
It doesn't dent, but it spontaneously cracks : ) Every time I've been at the genius bar, somebody has come in with macbook with a cracked palmrest....talk about design flaw that anybody could have foreseen, even somebody like me.

That's a bit of an exaggeration, no?

If plastic was truly that poor a choice, then 95% of laptops would be cracking all the time!

Plastic is good. It doesn't look as good, but I don't have to be as careful with it. I owned a 12" PowerBook, and I didn't treat it as poorly as my MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.