Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Well I agree, it isn’t technically correct since you could technically look at YouTube video on a 2” display but it isn’t a nice experience. So where you draw the line is subjective, should have clarified it was my opinion.
I used to web browse and watch video on an iPhone 4 so to say that you cannot do it on an iPhone 14 Pro Max is nuts. If you only use such a device for texts, calls and parking apps then why not just get the smallest & cheapest phone on the market.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
I used to web browse and watch video on an iPhone 4 so to say that you cannot do it on an iPhone 14 Pro Max is nuts. If you only use such a device for texts, calls and parking apps then why not just get the smallest & cheapest phone on the market.

Well never doing it wouldn't be correct, but I only do it as a backup when out and about with no other devices with me. I never watch YouTube or any media on my phone though but I use it as a web browser backup when there are no other devices with me.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Not really. Here's the 4 best OLED TVs of 2023, according to Rtings.com and they don't seem any more expensive than any of the best LCD TVs.
You should be comparing the price of similar (size, features, etc.) OLED and LED TVs from the same manufacturer.

Last edited:

SilvioInfante

Suspended
Jul 27, 2023
Well I agree, it isn’t technically correct since you could technically look at YouTube video on a 2” display but it isn’t a nice experience. So where you draw the line is subjective, should have clarified it was my opinion.
Yeah a couple billion people disagree. Good grief.

• Love
Reactions: Yourbigpalal83

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I agree people will adapt to whatever device they have at the time. A lot of our complaints are first world issues. I watched videos and browsed the web on the iPhone 3G which had a 3.5 inch screen and back then I wasn’t complaining that it was too small.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Well never doing it wouldn't be correct, but I only do it as a backup when out and about with no other devices with me. I never watch YouTube or any media on my phone though but I use it as a web browser backup when there are no other devices with me.
If my 13 pro max is the device I have with me then that’s what I use for web browsing. I watch YouTube videos on there a lot too. Back in the day, when I had the iPhone 3G and iPhone 4 I even watched TV episodes that I had purchased from iTunes. These days I would not watch a movie or TV show on my iPhone. However, for YouTube videos I don’t mind.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I own an iPad Mini 5, along with a 5th Generation Air. In my opinion, the Mini 5 is the best of the Mini line, so far. I have owned the original Mini, Mini 2, Mini 4, and briefly owned the Mini 6, before I returned it after 3 days. The Mini 5 the sharpest display (along with the Mini 4), was available with 256 MB storage, uses a pencil (or Logitech Crayon, which I use), and the A12 chip still keeps it running all apps that I use at acceptable speeds with no noticeable lagging, even running the latest version of iOS. I will keep using this device running for at least another two years. My brief experience with the Mini 6 (the display sucked!) made me appreciate the Mini 5 that much more. My only issue with it is that my battery life has somewhat degraded, most likely from heavy usage, going back to the spring of 2019, when it was released.
I’ve owned every generation of the mini and I was very skeptical about the mini 6. However, once I bought it and used it alongside my old mini 5 I came to prefer the mini 6 better. I’m the kind of person who moans about form factor changes. I tend to look at them from an aesthetic standpoint and don’t see the point until I get said device and see the practical benefits. It was the same with the iPhone X, iPad Pro, new MBA design and the iPad mini 6.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
When the weather widget is more legible on an iPhone mini than the iPad mini, there is a scaling problem.

I think the weather widget is better on the iPad Mini so I wouldn’t call it a problem. It is unnecessarily big on the iPhone.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I think the weather widget is better on the iPad Mini so I wouldn’t call it a problem. It is unnecessarily big on the iPhone.
Aren't you the guy that finds an iPhone 14 Pro Max too small to browse the Web on and yet you think the Mini 6 doesn't have scaling problems?

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Aren't you the guy that finds an iPhone 14 Pro Max too small to browse the Web on and yet you think the Mini 6 doesn't have scaling problems?

Yes, what would those two have to do with each other. I have no problem with readability on the iPhone, I have a problem with not fitting enough things on the screen. The Mini will show a lot more of a web page at the same text size than the iPhone does.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
The iPad mini has always been the forgotten stepchild of the iPads. Apple only updates it every 2 or 3 years, and it usually lags behind it’s bigger siblings in features. Pity, cause i LOVE the iPad mini! It compliments my larger iPad Pro for when i want to be more mobile and an iphone just isn't big enough to create on & consume media with. Yes, a foldable iPhone that expands to ipad mini size would be cool, but that probably ain’t happening anytime soon. If ever. I currently use an iPad mini 5 to compliment my iPad pro to sketch on while on the go. It works, altho the first gen pencil & screen refresh rate leave something to be desired. I didnt upgrade to the ipad mini 6 two yrs ago even tho it got the new flat edged form factor and apple pencil 2 support because of the jelly roll prone screen with 60hz refresh rate. Hopefully the iPad mini 7 will correct this and I will finally upgrade my mini. Face ID would be nice too. Especially since the ipad mini costs more than the regular iPad.

Last edited:

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
You buy it for the jelly roll feature. No other iPad has that execlusive feature.
604790AA-0D0C-40EA-86C4-FE2362D96D41.gif
12B0459E-6E5D-490A-9AF7-383756E4B1BC.gif
😂

• Haha
Reactions: Student of Life

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
You buy it for the jelly roll feature. No other iPad has that execlusive feature.
Sadly now I’ve seen jelly scroll on the Mini 6 I see it on all other Apple phones and tablets. It’s surprisingly noticeable on the 12.9” in portrait. The Mini 6 is clearly the most obvious but it is present on other devices. “Pro Motion” is doing alot to hide it.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Sadly now I’ve seen jelly scroll on the Mini 6 I see it on all other Apple phones and tablets. It’s surprisingly noticeable on the 12.9” in portrait. The Mini 6 is clearly the most obvious but it is present on other devices. “Pro Motion” is doing alot to hide it.
Agreed. I look out for it now when I never did before. My Samsung Tab S9 does it in portrait but never have I seen it as bad as on the Mini 6.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Agreed. I look out for it now when I never did before. My Samsung Tab S9 does it in portrait but never have I seen it as bad as on the Mini 6.
Anything with promotion won’t have jelly roll. My iPad Pro is perfect. As is my iPhone Pro. I am sure the ipad mini 7 will too as the jelly roll was the biggest complaint with the mini ipad 6.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Anything with promotion won’t have jelly roll. My iPad Pro is perfect. As is my iPhone Pro. I am sure the ipad mini 7 will too as the jelly roll was the biggest complaint with the mini ipad 6.
The Tab S9 has jelly scroll with an AMOLED 120Hz display. ProMotiion has nothing to do with it. It's all to do with the quality of the display. I've got a ton of 60Hz LCD displays that don't openly exhibit the jelly scroll phenomenon.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Was going to say, it as REALLY noticeable on the iPad mini 6 but I don't notice it on the Air 5, iPP or anything else... Maybe my eyes aren't good enough to notice it?

The mini 6 is a great device to read books on but at $399 (discount when I got it) - it is a little expensive for just a book reader. iPad Air 5 is probably next best, a little bit more expensive but at least I can use it to read webpages, watch videos, and other things instead of just books.

I think that's why a lot of people liked the idea of foldable phones - you get the view space when you want it. <shrug>.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Was going to say, it as REALLY noticeable on the iPad mini 6 but I don't notice it on the Air 5, iPP or anything else... Maybe my eyes aren't good enough to notice it?

The mini 6 is a great device to read books on but at $399 (discount when I got it) - it is a little expensive for just a book reader. iPad Air 5 is probably next best, a little bit more expensive but at least I can use it to read webpages, watch videos, and other things instead of just books.

I think that's why a lot of people liked the idea of foldable phones - you get the view space when you want it. <shrug>.
You can't view web pages on a Mini 6? Does that mean you don't view the web on phones either?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.