Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I have the screen zoom ramped right up on my devices.
Traded my mini 6 in for an Air 5 earlier this week and I'm pretty happy. I shouldn't complain, lol.

Yeah - it's interesting, 3 years ago I could read the tiniest font without a problem, but now, it just hurts and my eyes get tired (everything gets fuzzy). And the mini for me is just too small when I ramp up text size.

Air is working great for me - and probably will for the foreseeable future.

ALWAYS wished I could be like everyone else I see - most people I know use their phone as their primary device. My eyes just hurt after spending 30 mins on it. lol.

Mini 6 felt ... so perfect in the hands. Enjoy that mini 6 for me :D

Reactions: sunking101

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
The Tab S9 has jelly scroll with an AMOLED 120Hz display. ProMotiion has nothing to do with it. It's all to do with the quality of the display. I've got a ton of 60Hz LCD displays that don't openly exhibit the jelly scroll phenomenon.
I don’t know about Samsung, I’m an Apple user. But I don’t have a jelly roll problem on either my iPad Pro or Iphone Pro Max.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I don’t know about Samsung, I’m an Apple user. But I don’t have a jelly roll problem on either my iPad Pro or Iphone Pro Max.
Those devices all have decent quality displays.
My Note 8, Note 10 Plus, Z Fold 4, S23 Ultra, Huawei MediaPad M5 and Galaxy Tab S7 don't exhibit any noticeable jelly scrolling. The only devices I currently own which do are the ipad Mini 6 and, to a much less extent, my Galaxy Tab S9.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
Sadly now I’ve seen jelly scroll on the Mini 6 I see it on all other Apple phones and tablets. It’s surprisingly noticeable on the 12.9” in portrait. The Mini 6 is clearly the most obvious but it is present on other devices. “Pro Motion” is doing alot to hide it.

Jelly roll is a sweet feature, Apple needs to bring this feature to the ipad pros. I would like to see Jelly roll get even better in the next ipad mini and spin 360 degrees as you scroll up and down.

• Haha

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Those devices all have decent quality displays.
My Note 8, Note 10 Plus, Z Fold 4, S23 Ultra, Huawei MediaPad M5 and Galaxy Tab S7 don't exhibit any noticeable jelly scrolling. The only devices I currently own which do are the ipad Mini 6 and, to a much less extent, my Galaxy Tab S9.

What's interesting is the varying user sensitivity to it. I can definitely see it on my Mini 6 but I have to actively think about it to notice it - it doesn't bother me in the least; other users here have reported the same. But many clearly can't unsee it and are bugged to high heaven about it. I don't see any problems with my M1 12,9, 14 Pro Max, or Galaxy Tab S7. Nor have I seen it on the 10 or so other tablets I have owned.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I’ve been using my Mini 6 much more than I normally have. I’ve been doing everything that I normally would do on my 12.9 iPad Pro, because it’s easier to take with me on the go, and easier to read my books and browse social media and the web while laying bed. I have went from using MacRumors through the Tapatalk app to using MacRumors exclusively on Safari. I just wish September was here so that I can use the Health App. I don’t want to download the beta on my iPhones nor iPads.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Well never doing it wouldn't be correct, but I only do it as a backup when out and about with no other devices with me. I never watch YouTube or any media on my phone though but I use it as a web browser backup when there are no other devices with me.
That’s still just a personal, self-imposed preference. I’ll be sitting with my mini or 12.9 within arms length but still pick up and use my phone instead.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
The issue apple has is pricing… the iPad mini although it has many fans it’s just not the most popular iPad, I go out on a whim and say it’s probably the least popular iPad unfortunately (hence why it gets refreshed the least often out of them all).

Now looking at the pricing between the iPad Air and the iPad Pro, there is a $200 difference. The iPad mini is essentially a mini Air for $100 less than its bigger brother, so I can quite easily see that if Apple gave the iPad mini 120hz Face ID etc… we would be looking at a price of $699, that is a lot of $$$ for an iPad of that size and functionality and if the current $499 iPad mini is a poor seller, I can imagine a $699 version just wouldn’t be worth Apple’s time and effort to bring to the market. Don’t get me wrong those who are a fan of the mini would likely splurge on it, but it definitely would be an extremely niche product.

The one thing that really does infuriate me with the iPad mini though, is the fact it don’t come in silver!!!

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Meh, 120Hz is unnecessary for most folk. They falsely assume that 60Hz is the reason for jelly scroll and all manner of ills when in fact the Mini6 just has a horribly cheap panel. All Apple need to do is put a decent display on the Mini7, a processor upgrade, more RAM and up the base storage from a paltry 64GB - in other words just a refresh. Add $50 to the price and away we go.
Yeah it’s either a very poor display or it’s due to the orientation the screen refreshes and because how narrow the mini is in portrait it’s far more obvious to the human eye. So it’s giving the illusion of a poor display when in fact it’s the same display as the others just utilised poorly.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I use my mini 6 a lot every day. I enjoy using it. I notice the jelly scroll at times but, it is rather minor at best. Too many people here make way too much out of it because they expect Promotion performance at the lower price, which isn't going to happen. Many people here say the mini 6 is unusable because of the screen, and that is laughable and just shows how biased the comments are. Many of these same people also make a point to constantly advise people to the higher priced products regardless.

Bottom line is don't be afraid of the mini 6. It is a fine tablet and is more than capable of meeting the varying needs of the consumer base at large. The base of MR is filled with too many tainted fringe based users.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I use my mini 6 a lot every day. I enjoy using it. I notice the jelly scroll at times but, it is rather minor at best. Too many people here make way too much out of it because they expect Promotion performance at the lower price, which isn't going to happen. Many people here say the mini 6 is unusable because of the screen, and that is laughable and just shows how biased the comments are. Many of these same people also make a point to constantly advise people to the higher priced products regardless.

Bottom line is don't be afraid of the mini 6. It is a fine tablet and is more than capable of meeting the varying needs of the consumer base at large. The base of MR is filled with too many tainted fringe based users.
I agree 100%. I love my mini 6 and have zero complaints with it. I use it everyday more than my 12.9 iPad Pro and my iPhone. Despite all of the complaints, I don’t look for what everyone else notices. I just use it the way I want to use it.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
That’s still just a personal, self-imposed preference. I’ll be sitting with my mini or 12.9 within arms length but still pick up and use my phone instead.

Must be nice, can save loads of money on not needing tablets, laptops, TVs and such when you prefer using the phone screen over larger ones.

I want the best experience possible so if there’s any other way I don’t see a reason to use my phone for something where it will not give me the best user experience.

Last edited:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I agree 100%. I love my mini 6 and have zero complaints with it. I use it everyday more than my 12.9 iPad Pro and my iPhone. Despite all of the complaints, I don’t look for what everyone else notices. I just use it the way I want to use it.
Zero complaints? So the jelly scroll, scaling issues, typing issues (the space bar frequently fails to register) and general 'yesteryear' performance of the tablet washes over you completely?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Zero complaints? So the jelly scroll, scaling issues, typing issues (the space bar frequently fails to register) and general 'yesteryear' performance of the tablet washes over you completely?

Typing issues is a new one to me - I haven't run into any, certainly not the space bar failing to register. I don't write long documents on it but I do a fair share of emails and texting.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Typing issues is a new one to me - I haven't run into any, certainly not the space bar failing to register. I don't write long documents on it but I do a fair share of emails and texting.
I type quite fast and the space bar fails to keep up. Has been this way from day one no matter which keyboard I use.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I’m the exact opposite. Even tho I have an iPhone Pro Max, if I am at home and want to surf the web or consume media I will grab my IPad Pro or IPad Mini 10/10 times over my iPhone. When walking around outside, I’ll grab my iphone of course… but if I am sitting with an iPad & an iPhone… the iPhone will get a rest. Also, ever since I got an Apple Watch, my iPhone stays in my pocket more. If i get a message or need to check who called or the weather or an update on a sports score… a quick glance at my watch will often suffice.

Reactions: jagolden

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Must be nice, can save loads of money on not needing tablets, laptops, TVs and such when you prefer using the phone screen over larger ones.

I want the best experience possible so if there’s any other way I don’t see a reason to use my phone for something where it will not give me the best user experience.
Never said I preferred using the 14 PM, it’s simply a choice made at a particular moment.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Yes. I’m not looking for any faults. I do the same thing when it come to my iPhones. I don’t have time to look for the faults that others talk about. Something is going to be wrong with every device wether it’s the device or software. If I were looking for or trying to produce the problems, it would bother me every time it resented itself. As long as my devices are not hampering me in any way to use them as I do then, that’s when I use my AppleCare+. I have a 12.9 iPad Pro that I use for typing. I don‘t use the mini for large typing projects. Typing when using social media isn’t a problem since I type in portrait mode. I did use my mini when traveling to and from Florida this summer and had no problem with the screen size. I knew when I purchased this iPad that it wasn’t going to be as powerful as the iPad Pro or my iPhone Pro Max.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I’m the exact opposite. Even tho I have an iPhone Pro Max, if I am at home and want to surf the web or consume media I will grab my IPad Pro or IPad Mini 10/10 times over my iPhone. When walking around outside, I’ll grab my iphone of course… but if I am sitting with an iPad & an iPhone… the iPhone will get a rest. Also, ever since I got an Apple Watch, my iPhone stays in my pocket more. If i get a message or need to check who called or the weather or an update on a sports score… a quick glance at my watch will often suffice.
I do the exact same thing with my iPhone and iPads. I’ve used the mini 6 more than my 12.9 iPad Pro and Pro Max, due to the larger screen than the iPhone Pro Max, and the easier portability than the iPad Pro.

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
You buy it for the jelly roll feature. No other iPad has that execlusive feature.
Most displays currently in existence have that feature. It's less noticeable on 120 Hz displays and it's more noticeable on a Mini because it's a narrow display with high pixel density and is usually used in a way where the jelly-axis is the same as the scrolling axis.

It's just a side effect of how these displays work, every single Apple display in our household (iPhone 12, 13 Mini, iPad Mini 6 and Air 4, MacBook Pro 2013 and Air M1) does it. My Philips 4K monitor does it. My old Android did it. They all do it in the horizontal axis, except the iPad Mini 6 which does it vertically where it's more noticeable.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Most displays currently in existence have that feature. It's less noticeable on 120 Hz displays and it's more noticeable on a Mini because it's a narrow display with high pixel density and is usually used in a way where the jelly-axis is the same as the scrolling axis.

It's just a side effect of how these displays work, every single Apple display in our household (iPhone 12, 13 Mini, iPad Mini 6 and Air 4, MacBook Pro 2013 and Air M1) does it. My Philips 4K monitor does it. My old Android did it. They all do it in the horizontal axis, except the iPad Mini 6 which does it vertically where it's more noticeable.

Most people had never come across 'jelly scroll' until the Mini 6. Sure it existed before but to such a small degree that nobody noticed it. It's nothing to do with 120Hz refresh rates and everything to do with a cheap display panel.

The new Samsung Tab S9 11" AMOLED dispiay exhibits the issue in portrait mode to a noticeable degree and that indicates a cheap display panel. However no device I have ever come across in 45+ years of owning tech has such dealbreakingly appalling jelly scroll as the iPad Mini 6.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
No face ID, no access to my movies i bought on itunes, blue bubbles in text, no airplay or airdrop....all the perks of IOS gone...I knew that going in, but i thought i could get past them, but i couldent...so i send back the phone and get the Ipad mini 6 256 celluar...

I wish Apple would open up the iTunes media store to Android. They would gain millions of new customers from the Android side. They use it as a carrot to get Android users over to iPhones, but most Android users won't bite, and Apple misses out on not having Android customers be part of the iTunes store.

• Love
Reactions: Yourbigpalal83

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2015
Confession: I caved and got me a Ipad Mini 256 gig cell again...BUT IT WAS ON SALE FOR 629. Ive spent the most time with it, and while i still hate all the issues i laid out about the product, for 630 for a celluar model, i can live with it for now.

I dont want to say i hate the device. I truly dont. I want to love it, and despite its major flaws, its still the best ipad for laying in bed or taking with you!

Its just, i wish apple would make it way better then it is.

The scalling issue is still very noticable and confusing. It is a dull screen in direct sunlight, i cant stand touch ID and going from a 120 HZ ipad pro 11 inch and Iphone 14 pro max to it, feels like a step backwards.

But that portability. That laying in bed with it using it to read a book or watch youtube even on a clearly inferior screen...its form factor is near perfect it really is.

Every time i go back to my other devices, like my iphone, its so frustrating cause they are so much better but their physicality of them holds them back.

I love my Ipad Pro 11 inch M2. With the Magic Keyboard Case, its a wonderful hybrid laptop tablet.

I love my Iphone 14 pro max...i actually wish it was smaller and if i upgrade to the 15 i might go with the smaller one...(Hell if i could get a pro 15 mini id love that)

The Ipad mini is the sweet spot size wise. Imagine if it was a foldable iphone mini like device that opened into the ipad mini with face ID, 120HZ screen, OLED, it be my dream apple device.

The only device that comes close to that currently is the Google Fold, which runs android and has overheating and durability issues apparently.

Its so fustrating cause the tech is here, now to make even a non foldable Ipad Mini Pro and apple isnt doing it! The rumors are that we are just going to get a faster chip in the Ipad Mini 7....

i doubt they will even change out the screen for a brighter one or improve the cameras!

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Confession: I caved and got me a Ipad Mini 256 gig cell again...BUT IT WAS ON SALE FOR 629. Ive spent the most time with it, and while i still hate all the issues i laid out about the product, for 630 for a celluar model, i can live with it for now.

I dont want to say i hate the device. I truly dont. I want to love it, and despite its major flaws, its still the best ipad for laying in bed or taking with you!

Its just, i wish apple would make it way better then it is.

The scalling issue is still very noticable and confusing. It is a dull screen in direct sunlight, i cant stand touch ID and going from a 120 HZ ipad pro 11 inch and Iphone 14 pro max to it, feels like a step backwards.

But that portability. That laying in bed with it using it to read a book or watch youtube even on a clearly inferior screen...its form factor is near perfect it really is.

Every time i go back to my other devices, like my iphone, its so frustrating cause they are so much better but their physicality of them holds them back.

I love my Ipad Pro 11 inch M2. With the Magic Keyboard Case, its a wonderful hybrid laptop tablet.

I love my Iphone 14 pro max...i actually wish it was smaller and if i upgrade to the 15 i might go with the smaller one...(Hell if i could get a pro 15 mini id love that)

The Ipad mini is the sweet spot size wise. Imagine if it was a foldable iphone mini like device that opened into the ipad mini with face ID, 120HZ screen, OLED, it be my dream apple device.

The only device that comes close to that currently is the Google Fold, which runs android and has overheating and durability issues apparently.

Its so fustrating cause the tech is here, now to make even a non foldable Ipad Mini Pro and apple isnt doing it! The rumors are that we are just going to get a faster chip in the Ipad Mini 7....

i doubt they will even change out the screen for a brighter one or improve the cameras!
Have you ever tried a Mini 5? It holds essentially all of the same benefits as the 6 (including some things that are just better), but is less than half the price right now. Might be the perfect holdover device until the 7 is released, which hopefully will have some fixes to the hardware - jelly scroll, screen quality, ram upgrade, etc.

The compromises to the Mini size are more palatable at a cheap price point. Still frustrating for those of us that want a premium device and would pay up for it, but since Apple doesn’t make that, we just do our best. I think the 6 is way overpriced for what it offers but the 5 is currently a decent deal.

Reactions: Yourbigpalal83

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Have you ever tried a Mini 5? It holds essentially all of the same benefits as the 6 (including some things that are just better), but is less than half the price right now. Might be the perfect holdover device until the 7 is released, which hopefully will have some fixes to the hardware - jelly scroll, screen quality, ram upgrade, etc.

The compromises to the Mini size are more palatable at a cheap price point. Still frustrating for those of us that want a premium device and would pay up for it, but since Apple doesn’t make that, we just do our best. I think the 6 is way overpriced for what it offers but the 5 is currently a decent deal.

I don’t see much of a price difference between mini 5 and 6 on Apple refurb.

Note, the OP got mini 6 256GB cellular for $629. The equivalent mini 5 is $579 on Apple refurb (out of stock at the moment) so just $50 difference.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.