Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brad147

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2001
:( How ? I own Macs since 1984: Mac Plus, Mac SE, Mac LCIII, Powerbook... and a very first Imac 233. As many of us, I've been waiting long for a new powerfull Imac.

Wonderfull, last week, jan 7, it was better than expected, it was with a G4. So I gave a phone call to the Apple store to order an immediately available Superdrive Imac.

The guy at the store explained that it would take 2 weeks to assemble it and 1 week until deliver. Super !

Until today. A new phone call to check if it will be delivered next week. What was the answer ?
5 opened days to review the order = jan 14
25 opened days to assemble it = feb 18
5 days for delivery = feb 25
All this not guaranteed. Is that immediately available ???

I was very, very dissapointed. And fed up ! So I went to a store at 50 meters from my appartment and I bought a high end PC (yes Wintel).
It's fast, I can edit my music, I can connect my DV and burn DVDs.
Plus it's less expensive and has more RAM.

If you've told me that yesterday I wouldn't have believed you. But that'it. Enough of Apple price, Apple delays, Apple bulls...!

Bye, bye Mac users.

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
So you get your iMac 3 weeks later. So what? That machine has already been ordered 100,000 times. Do you expect that you get some sort of special treatment?

C

colocolo

since 1984?

mac owner since 1984, and you got a mac plus???
interesting. get your facts straight before making things up, please

OSeXy!

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
London (or virtually here)
sin in haste, repent at leisure

Shouldn't this thead actually be called: "my all-time worst snap decision"? If your new machine is anything like as 'hot' as the 1.7Ghz P4 pile of rubbish I'm forced to use at work, I would be tempted to top myself right now.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Agreed mischief. ******* turncoat zealot AKA *******.

Boohooo, didnt diddums get his imac? awww dont cry now.
You should be grateful to even be able to have one. nobhead zealot.

The sad part is, not only he went for a PC, he went for an Intel. Ouch.
(if u believe the guy that is.)

Brad147

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2001
You guys are suffering of too much stress

Doraemon: "Do you expect that you get some sort of special treatment?"

-> When did I wrote that ? It's not about special treatment it was just a bye bye to the Apple community that I still appreciate very much.

colocolo: "mac owner since 1984, and you got a mac plus???"

-> what's wrong with the Apple III I bought in 1984 and that I don't have anymore and the Mac Plus I bought in 1986 ? I'm sure I know Apple history since 1976 almost as well as you do...

Keep cool guys don't think too straight and don't think that you're always smartests as others.

U

Unregistered

I really like Brad147. I especially like him leaving.

(Mac 128, February 1984)
(Mac Plus)
(SE30)
(IICX)
(Quadra 950)
(Performa 6115, still running almost nonstop)
(G4 Dual 500)
(Titanium to friend (loan payback)
(iPod to friend (see above))
(iBook 500 to niece)
(iPod to niece
(iMac on order)
(G5 in dreams....)

It just gets better....

Enjoy life.. Evangelize macs...

BTW Brad147, I assume all of the software that you have spent 16 years mastering has been conveniently port to XP...

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Still relevant:

Welcome to the discussion, please make yourself comfortable. Monkey poop will be available for throwing as soon as the monkey's bowels recover from the last round. There will be posting off topic and personal attacks. We're mostly separated by thousands of miles so broken noses should not be an issue. Ego's will be bruised and Facts will be overlooked. Please feel free to become personally attatched to any meme and have a personal breakdown at any time. Thank you for flying Air Macrumors. Remember citizens, it's not about reality: it's about questioning reality.*BING*
:D ;) :cool: :rolleyes:

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
If stupidity was a crime, you would be on death row.

Originally posted by Brad147

-> When did I wrote that ? It's not about special treatment it was just a bye bye to the Apple community that I still appreciate very much.

colocolo: "mac owner since 1984, and you got a mac plus???"

-> what's wrong with the Apple III I bought in 1984 and that I don't have anymore and the Mac Plus I bought in 1986 ? I'm sure I know Apple history since 1976 almost as well as you do...

Keep cool guys don't think too straight and don't think that you're always smartests as others.

Explain to me why the hell u went intel?
Why are you supposedly leaving the mac community, i have a PC and im not.
At the end of the day, despite having some pre-pubescent dorks in here, we are smarter than others. I am certainly smarter than a buyer of Intel products, as are quite a few ppl in here.

D

decoone

Wintel Man

This should help make up for the previous posts

I've been a Wintel guy since the first PC's were released. I've owned every version of Windows ever available on the market, including version 1.0 that came (if memory serves) on 3 five inch floppies. Needless to say, I've been into Windows since Windows wasn't cool (not that it really is now).
I'm a Network Engineer for a smallish computer/telecom company. I know Windows of every flavor inside and out. I maintain over 10 Windows 2000 Servers, including Web Servers, 1 Novell Server and everyones desktops in the company including a few Win XP ones. I have a network in my house with two PIII's (Win XP)connected to a DSL line.
I'm BORED with computers and have been for a long time!! So what do I do??
January 10th, 2002 I placed my order for the new high end iMac.

I'm looking forward to something 'different' and I think OS X is intriguingly 'fresh'. Since I'm going to have to replace much of my software collection anyway, I can (as much as available) just get new OS X versions.

If the Mac takes a while to ship - what the hell, my systems do what I NEED for now. I'm REALLY looking forward to its arrival though - it's the 'coolest' new system I've seen in a while. In the mean time, I'm reviewing Mac software (which I know very little about) to see what's well-rated to replace necessities.

I don't think I'll ever be a Mac zealot any more than I'm a Windows zealot simply because such people never have any more than 10 percent of the truth to scream with their big mouths. But if you all wish to call me a 'windows convert', so be it.

amichalo

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2001
:wave bye-bye:

Someone with so few copeing skills will never make it in the Wintel 'community'. (is 'every one else' really a community?) Why not allow the dust to settle a little. Apple doesn't like to disapoint. You may have gotten a worste cast estimate. Anyway, what is a couple weeks. You terminally ill?

Anyway, I had never used a Mac for anything other than a punchline until a year ago when I got my Ti Book and took a look at OS X. Now I only use my PC for desk clutter.

Best of luck out there "Brad".

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Welcome Into The Fold...

I suspect you'll be very happy with your new iMac (I wish I could get one as my second Mac - first is a 533 G4).

I guess the question I have for Brad147 is this:
Why can't you wait a month for your new iMac?

Is there something you needed to do so urgently that you couldn't wait? Late shipments has turned you away from Apple - a company you've been with since inception? somehow, it seems fishy.

I mean, if you're for real about this iMac thing, you need to get your meds refilled. Patience is a virtue.

Frustration and greed - these are the ways of the Dark Side of The Force.

montex

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
Seattle, WA
Not Bloody Likely

The post from Brad147 is interesting in two ways. First, it seems very unlikely that someone who has so heavily invested in Apple products for more than a decade, would toss it all aside because he couldn't wait three weeks for a just announced iMac. His story just doesn't hold up. Why didn't he ditch the Mac 4 years ago, during Apple's darkest days? Why wait until Apple is flying high to leave? No, I think Brad147 is a big, fat liar.

But what I find really interesting is the shocking lack of integrity. Here you have an obvious PC shill, pretending to be a "Mac Addict" who feels so insecure about the Wintel platform he has so heavily invested in, that he is compelled to fabricate a story like this. What does that say about Windows?

It's actually a compliment, of the sour grapes variety. Maybe he wishes he had a new iMac, but is facing that credit card bill from the Dell he bought last summer. Doesn't matter. Apple is going to have a great year and a terrific decade because they make great products. And petty lies like the one from Brad147 amount to... nothing.

M

amichalo

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2001
Re: Wintel Man

Originally posted by decoone
In the mean time, I'm reviewing Mac software (which I know very little about) to see what's well-rated to replace necessities.

My Top ten recommendations:

(1) Office v.X is excellent but has made my system unstable at times. If you don't need Office for working at home or scheduling with Entourage, then OS X comes with a great e-mail program.
(2) Airburst is a visually stunning and fun game with a cool sound track you can play for 2 or twenty minutes. Oh, and it's free (download.com)
(3) Use the built in system update to keep yourself on the 'tip of the spear'
(4) Go to http://www.apple.com/itunes and /iphoto and /imovie to get the latest versions of those apps. (not automagically updated by system update)
(5) If you design websites, Dreamweaver isn't out for OS X yet but there are some free tools that are great if a bit on the basic side. (download.com)
(6) Photoshop is likewise not available for OS X yet :(
(7) SETI@home is fun and runs fast on OS X (setiathome.com)
(8) For downloading MP3's, movies, etc, try Lime Wire (limewire.com) - a great Nutella client - oh, and the 2.x Pro verison is $6 payable via PayPal
(9) If using IE makes you ill, try Omni web or Mozilla. Both are excellent alternatives. (omniweb.com, mozilla.com)
(10) Virtual PC 5.0 (you can buy on-line and download - cool!) will allow you to run any windows (or Linux) apps you want

Karma Police

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2002
what were you thinking?! at least get an athlon...you'll be kicking yourself after hours of trying to get your DV to work and waste even more time editing your movies.

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
Apple III -- Mac?

:rolleyes:

This may sound like a dumb question, but... wasn't the "Macintosh" the first "Mac"? I didn't think that the Apple III was called a "Macintosh,"... was it?

My first Mac is going to be the iMac 800Mhz, 512MB, Airport Card & Base Station, iSub, iPod, and some DVD-Rs.

Ordered it on 1/7/2002, got everything except the iMac.... it's okay for me to say that it's my first "Mac" isn't it? Since it has "Mac" in the name. Did I mention that Apple III doesn't have "Mac" in the name.

I love the Mac community! You guys/gals are fanatics, but "edumacated" fanatics!!:D

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
Re: Apple III -- Mac?

Originally posted by Quark
:rolleyes:

This may sound like a dumb question, but... wasn't the "Macintosh" the first "Mac"? I didn't think that the Apple III was called a "Macintosh,"... was it?

You're absolutely right.

D

decoone

Wintel Man

The one program that I have been REALLY worried about is Family Tree Maker. I have a very large database of my genealogy dating back to the 1590's. Unfortunately, FTM for the Mac world was discontinued 6 versions ago. I have read good reviews about 'Reunion' version 7. MacWorld gave it 4 & 1/2 'mice' which a Mac-head friend of mine says is 'stellar', so I ordered it yesterday.

It's not been updated to OS X yet, but it supposedly runs fine in 'classic' mode. Their website mentions that an 'X' version is in the works.

It's going to be a lot of work though, I can only import the 'gedcom' file which is the basic info only, I'll have to re-do all photos & scanned documents - geez!

Yes, I COULD have gotten Virtual PC and run FTM or, just used my other Windows machines, but I think I'll want to do it all on my new Mac.

Damn - I feel weird, dizzy - am I becoming................. NOooooooo
It's not even arrived yet!

U

Unregistered

So, simply because you're so impatient you can't wait a few short weeks for your new toy, you're going to switch to Windows. That makes all kinds of sense.

Quark: Sharon, darling, will you marry me?
Sharon: Yes, but let's wait until after I graduate from college in 6 months.
Quark: Six months?! Forget it! Betty, will YOU marry me?
Betty: Sure! Let's go!

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Welcome to the club Quark...

Is anyone getting the feeling that our community is getting more and more converts, and almost noone is turning back??? Maybe the Mac will have that 95% marketshare by the end of the decade!:rolleyes:

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
Re: You guys are suffering of too much stress

Originally posted by Brad147

But what is your problem? Because your understanding of "immediate" does not match Apple's shipping time? Wake up! You're not the only one who ordered the iMac. It'll take a couple of weeks, but that's hardly a reasonable argument for buying a PC.

But do whatever makes you happy (although I really doubt that you're going to be happy with your PC).

U

Unregistered

correction -- replace "quark" with "brad147". My apologies!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.