Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Hello all.
I am excited to hear the rumors that the Apple wearable will probably be announced on September 9. But now, after reading a lot of posts and articles, I have begun to think that the wearable might not be an iWatch. Perhaps it will just be a simpler fitness tracker device, rather than an actual watch/notifier (like Android Wear). I am more interested in a watch and email, text, reminder, etc. notifier that connects with my iPhone, rather than a fitness tracker. What does everyone think? Will you be buying the Apple wearable whether it is an iWatch or a fitness tracker? Or are you only interested in a smart watch? What exactly do you suspect the wearable by Apple to be?

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Nah, don't need it lol.

I feel like I can never be doing something seriously enough or can be multitasking hard core enough to really need that.

At all other times it feels super inorganic. Its not just a watch but a digital satellite to where you start to feel borderline cyborg-ish wearing it. Really brings out that over the top nerd feeling and not in a cool way.

iBanker

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2014
46th floor
It's too early to make purchasing decisions on a product when we don't know which form it will come in and what it will be capable of.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Nah, don't need it lol.

I feel like I can never be doing something seriously enough or can be multitasking hard core enough to really need that.

At all other times it feels super inorganic. Its not just a watch but a digital satellite to where you start to feel borderline cyborg-ish wearing it. Really brings out that over the top nerd feeling and not in a cool way.

To the guy who thinks the iWatch will be too small: Please just try it. Give it a chance.

Last edited:

Deeds500

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
I personally just don't see the need for one. As much as I love iphone, they are intrusive enough in our lives as it is. Sure we can decide what we want our phone to alert us about, but having a watch would make it even more intrusive. If my phone is in my pocket, the vibrate will alert me to a notification, I don't need my wrist to be vibrating as well. Plus there is the extra cost and without knowing too much more, probably the extra sync as well.

If the watch is predominantly about health, then sure that's great for those who take their exercise seriously, but I just don't see the need to have what will most likely be a mini version of my phone clinging to my wrist.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I personally just don't see the need for one. As much as I love iphone, they are intrusive enough in our lives as it is. Sure we can decide what we want our phone to alert us about, but having a watch would make it even more intrusive. ....

Actually, once you own a smartwatch, you realize how much LESS intrusive it makes notifications.

Instead of totally disrupting whatever you're doing by yanking out your phone to see if the notification is important, you can simply glance at your wrist.

Thus my son-in-law loves his Pebble in meetings where it's frowned upon to always be playing with your smartphone. He can instantly see if he really needs to check it.

Likewise, my daughter loves her Samsung Fit because, as a teacher, she's not allowed to use a phone at all. Yet she can still get notifications and text messages on her wrist all day long, and even send canned replies with a touch of a finger.

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
Actually, once you own a smartwatch, you realize how much LESS intrusive it makes notifications.

Instead of totally disrupting whatever you're doing by yanking out your phone to see if the notification is important, you can simply glance at your wrist.

Thus my son-in-law loves his Pebble in meetings where it's frowned upon to always be playing with your smartphone. He can instantly see if he really needs to check it.

Likewise, my daughter loves her Samsung Fit because, as a teacher, she's not allowed to use a phone at all. Yet she can still get notifications and text messages on her wrist all day long, and even send canned replies with a touch of a finger.
So true

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
I have zero desire to purchase an iWatch.
I most certainly don't want one. It's designed as an attention getter and profit center for Apple. I'm guessing it'll sell initially, but as the honeymoon fades, people will realize their true value is as a tracking device in addition to smartphones.

Might as well accelerate the push to have us forced into allowing the feds to insert embedded chips, just like they've predicted. They'll create a compelling story people will believe, just as they're removing the word "gullible" from the dictionary. :)

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
Well you can't buy something that has never been announced or released. Might want to wait until Apple actually makes the iWatch a reality.

Deeds500

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014

I hear what you're saying, but why then the need for an iphone device? Me personally, I don't want two devices, I want one unit, which would be the iphone at the expense of a watch.

jkel777

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2014
I read an article somewhere (might've been MacRumors, actually...) that said that the iWatch may be more of an iPhone "accessory" as opposed to a standalone product. This is due to the rumors that Apple is announcing the iWatch alongside the new iPhone at the 9/9 event.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Let them announce/release it first and then we can all decide.

These sorts of comments are unfortunate. This site and its forum are to discuss the various rumours and to speculate what might or might not be.

Personally, I agree with the op. A fitness tracker isn't something that interests me, but a watch that notifies me does. However, I would want jewellery rather than a wrist computer. I think I'll be more interested in smart watches when the traditional watch manufacturers add smart capabilities to their watches.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So far based on the handful of leaks (mostly speculation), I see little need for an iwatch. I don't even wear a watch but it may come in handy for my runs but my iPhone handles that task.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
I have little to no interest for the iWatch.
I just recently started wearing a watch, but I still find myself looking at my phone for the time. It's a habit.

On the other hand, we don't know what the iWatch will bring to the table, so it's best to sit and wait, then decide.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I hear what you're saying, but why then the need for an iphone device? Me personally, I don't want two devices, I want one unit, which would be the iphone at the expense of a watch.

I understand. If you only want one device, then it might as well be the phone. (Actually, this is why many choose a phablet. They don't want a phone and a tablet. Similar concept.)

As to why there are two: In most cases, the phone is the master device, the source of notifications, and the point of communcation with the rest of the world. The smartwatch is more or less a display peripheral to the phone, connected via Bluetooth.

There are also totally standalone wrist phones with voice calling and 2G/3G data.

There are also smartwatches without voice calling, but which have their own WiFi or 2G or 3G connection so they can operate without the master phone nearby.

Of course battery life is a huge concern when a watch is also a cellular device.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
As someone who's owned a pebble since launch, I'm pretty excited about this.

Pebble/smartwatches are things that you don't think you really need, until you live with them. It's so convenient getting an email/text and checking it on your wrist.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
These sorts of comments are unfortunate. This site and its forum are to discuss the various rumours and to speculate what might or might not be.

Personally, I agree with the op. A fitness tracker isn't something that interests me, but a watch that notifies me does. However, I would want jewellery rather than a wrist computer. I think I'll be more interested in smart watches when the traditional watch manufacturers add smart capabilities to their watches.

It's not because there has been no leaks at all on iWatches except for the possibility that there will be one. Without any leaks, what is there to discuss. Everyone discussing can have their opinion of what it could be and it would be a never-ending discussion. Had there been a spec or two leaked, then everyone could base their discussion on it.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I most certainly don't want one. It's designed as an attention getter and profit center for Apple. I'm guessing it'll sell initially, but as the honeymoon fades, people will realize their true value is as a tracking device in addition to smartphones.

Might as well accelerate the push to have us forced into allowing the feds to insert embedded chips, just like they've predicted. They'll create a compelling story people will believe, just as they're removing the word "gullible" from the dictionary. :)

Open the blinds on ur widows and let some sunshine in.

iBook_Clamshell

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2013
Wisconsin
I listen to Jonathan Park stories on the radio, and they are always talking into their "communicator watches" to talk to other members of their team. If this thing will be a stand-alone device capable of doing everything an iPhone does, then I might consider it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.