Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I walked into Best Buy to preorder an Xbox One and walked oevr to the iPad section and checked out iOS 7. I thought it looked pretty slick. All the things I read about it and thought I would hate about it was not an issue.

The UI felt pretty simple to me. i did have to remember some of the tips I read on this forum. I liked iOS 7 so much I installed it on my iPad 2. I love the dynamic wallpapers, and yes tilting the iPad will cause the wallpaper to shift, very slick. :cool:

Speed wise, yeah iOS 6 runs a wee bit smoother but not by much. Keyboard lag is no better or worse on iOS 7. So i'm definitely up for the next iPad.

My suggestion is to first see iOS 7 in action at a display. You may like it.

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
Been using it since beta 1/Day 1 and is pretty solid for me. Though like anything new it does have a few moments but over all pretty happy with it.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
New stuff always feels good at first, but when the novelty wheres off you might feel differently.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
I don't have any serious issues with IOS7, though I find the animation-caused delays a little annoying. I don't spend a lot of time looking at the phone or the icons.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I did not have the beta on my phones/iPad and so when it was released to the general public it was my first time using it. Since then, I've been very happy with it.

Its been fast, stable and seemingly bug free - I've not noticed anything

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Here's something I thought was strange. When changing wallpaper on the iPad 4 at Best Buy it took several seconds to register the change. Then the Apple logo appeared and stayed there for like 10 seconds, THEN THE WALLPAPER changed.

On my iPad 2 when I go to change the wallpaper it registers the change immediately, no Apple logo. Changing wallpaper behaves just it does for me on iOS 5 and iOS 6.

I do like the convience of Private mode in Safari. I'm sure the newness may wear off but so far I do like it.

One question, where the hell is the .COM key? :)

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010

When you are in the url bar at the top, press and hold the . key and it will give the .com, .org, .net, and other options.

Also the Apple showing up is the system crashing according to some and the springboard respringing according to others. I am not sure which it is but it ocassionally happens during the initial setup from what I have found and others have experienced it more often.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Here's something I thought was strange. When changing wallpaper on the iPad 4 at Best Buy it took several seconds to register the change. Then the Apple logo appeared and stayed there for like 10 seconds, THEN THE WALLPAPER changed.

Posts like this make me wonder.

When people here say their phone crashes a lot and others say theirs doesn't... Are they really not experiencing that, or are they just like the OP here who doesn't understand that they just witnessed the phone crashing?

You saw the phone lock up and crash. That happens a bit more with iOS 7 now.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
When you are in the url bar at the top, press and hold the . key and it will give the .com, .org, .net, and other options.

Also the Apple showing up is the system crashing according to some and the springboard respringing according to others. I am not sure which it is but it ocassionally happens during the initial setup from what I have found and others have experienced it more often.

Certain third party apps can crash springboard. I'm not sure what the issue in the apps code is, but the app I experienced it with has since been fixed.

My iPhone 5S - Now Apples Numbers app does crash so hard that it does a hard reboot. Pages seems to be okay, and I haven't tried Keynote.

My iPad 4 - It runs Numbers fine and I haven't had any issues with any other apps.

Just my experiences.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007

When people here say their phone crashes a lot and others say theirs doesn't... Are they really not experiencing that, or are they just like the OP here who doesn't understand that they just witnessed the phone crashing?

So was that a crash at the BB store?

----------

Thanks that did the trick. :)

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Certain third party apps can crash springboard. I'm not sure what the issue in the apps code is, but the app I experienced it with has since been fixed.

My iPhone 5S - Now Apples Numbers app does crash so hard that it does a hard reboot. Pages seems to be okay, and I haven't tried Keynote.

My iPad 4 - It runs Numbers fine and I haven't had any issues with any other apps.

Just my experiences.

So is there a difference in a crash versus a respring. Do they both show the Apple just one take longer or do something else as it seems a true crash takes longer to recover than a respring??

----------

I have 5 iDevices and have only ever had 2 of the devices crash/ respring during the initial setup (going into all the settings to adjust things off or on), and haven't seen any on any of the devices since (and I did the setup on all the devices and am the first one notified when anything strange occurs, think home full of technophobes). I can therefor believe that some are not experiencing this at all, others very few times, and some repeatedly.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I just experienced my first low memory crash while running Safari. Adding Bookmarks got really weird (like adding BM weren't really added) then when I went to BM the page again I saw duplicates.

The battery on my iPad 2 seems to be a little warmer than usual.

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN

On my iPad 2 when I go to change the wallpaper it registers the change immediately, no Apple logo. Changing wallpaper behaves just it does for me on iOS 5 and iOS 6.

I do like the convience of Private mode in Safari. I'm sure the newness may wear off but so far I do like it.

So was that a crash at the BB store?

----------

Thanks that did the trick. :)

I wouldn't be too concern with what you saw at BestBuy. It's in Demo Mode and I'm sure with A LOT of people messing with it it's bound to happen.

----------

I've been using that buggy POS every day since Beta 1. :cool:

Yet you're on ios7??? If it was so buggy for me I think I'd stay at 6.1.3/.4

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
This says something about how much I have grown to like iOS 7 in just a short time.

I updated my phone a few days after the update came out. I didn't want to deal with the extremely long wait times due to server overload and so I waited until I had a chance to just lay my phone down and "let it do its thing."

Well, I've enjoyed it and have had a good time with the new features.

Fast forward to last week. My employer informed me that they ordered some iPad Mini's and I could get one to use for free. I said ok, checked one out and began walking back to my office with it. Powered it up...iOS 6. I disliked it so much that before I did anything else on it, I plugged it in and set it to update.

As soon as it was finished I got that "ahh, that's better" feeling and realized I really do prefer iOS 7 leaps and bounds over the older versions.

I couldn't have imagined I would have felt that strongly before but it really has been a pleasant update for me.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
I wouldn't be too concern with what you saw at BestBuy. It's in Demo Mode and I'm sure with A LOT of people messing with it it's bound to happen.

I thought the same thing about the demo devices (that is why Apple reimages theirs each night at the end of the day, due to customer usage and to clean everything up). I didn't get the impression the OP{ was concerned as much as he wasn't sure if that was the expected behavior to see the Apple show up and then the home page reappear, as that is the expected behavior when you enable bold text, and it tells you that when you do it.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
So is there a difference in a crash versus a respring. Do they both show the Apple just one take longer or do something else as it seems a true crash takes longer to recover than a respring??

----------

I have 5 iDevices and have only ever had 2 of the devices crash/ respring during the initial setup (going into all the settings to adjust things off or on), and haven't seen any on any of the devices since (and I did the setup on all the devices and am the first one notified when anything strange occurs, think home full of technophobes). I can therefor believe that some are not experiencing this at all, others very few times, and some repeatedly.

A true hard reboot takes longer of course. A springboard crash recovers very quickly. I'm pretty sure the springboard crash does show an Apple logo. I didn't get a blue screen with a springboard crash either- only on the hard reboot.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010

Some people don't get a choice due to work issues (such as devleoper's and people that corporate migrated them, or they are the tester for corporate so they need to use it.

----------

A true hard reboot takes longer of course. A springboard crash recovers very quickly. I'm pretty sure the springboard crash does show an Apple logo. I didn't get a blue screen with a springboard crash either- only on the hard reboot.
That's what I thought but wasn't sure as they used to have the little spinning cog(?) when rebooting and I haven't seen that except on restores through iTunes. Also was it a true blue colored screen or the proverbial BSOD (I ask as I have only ever seen black coloring and not sure if they actually have the blue screen in IOS and was curios)??

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Some people don't get a choice due to work issues (such as devleoper's and people that corporate migrated them, or they are the tester for corporate so they need to use it.

^ This. Besides you can't go back to iOS 6, Apple stopped signing it.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

----------

iOS 7 is working great for me. Even my wife's phone is updated to it and she loves it. No issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.