Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
MA
I've had my MBP (in my sig) for 2 months now and I love it to death, but I really wish I got a MBA. Maybe it's because everyone on campus has the exact same computer as me, or maybe it's because I never use any ports other than the mdp, 1 usb port, and audio out. Maybe because I realized the most pressing thing I do is watch HD videos and other not-so-hard tasks. Who knows, but I would trade mine in a heartbeat for a MBA.

/buyers remorse.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Trade my MBA for yours and with overnight shipping and a Time Machine backup you'll be fine. ;)

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
I've had my MBP (in my sig) for 2 months now and I love it to death, but I really wish I got a MBA. Maybe it's because everyone on campus has the exact same computer as me, or maybe it's because I never use any ports other than the mdp, 1 usb port, and audio out. Maybe because I realized the most pressing thing I do is watch HD videos and other not-so-hard tasks. Who knows, but I would trade mine in a heartbeat for a MBA.

/buyers remorse.

MBA paired with MacBook Pro 17 inch is the greatest setup in the world though it costs!

46 Bear

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2009
Since we are trading....

Since everyone is trading......I have a Unibody 2.2 GHz MacBook w/ 500 GB HD and 4GB of ram. I barely use the full power of my computer. I have tons of media but I have a Time Capsule AND an external HD. I used to DJ in college and I have only a 10,000 songs. Since I don't DJ now that I am in the real world I understand that I don't need all that space. Any takers? :D

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Since everyone is trading......I have a Unibody 2.2 GHz MacBook w/ 500 GB HD and 4GB of ram. I barely use the full power of my computer. I have tons of media but I have a Time Capsule AND an external HD. I used to DJ in college and I have only a 10,000 songs. Since I don't DJ now that I am in the real world I understand that I don't need all that space. Any takers? :D

You're not eligible for the marketplace; please refer to the rules ;)

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
MBA paired with MacBook Pro 17 inch is the greatest setup in the world though it costs!

I don't understand the purpose of an MBA and a 17" MBP. I think the greatest setup in the world, for me, is the MBA with 2.13 GHz CPU, 128 GB SSD, and a 24" LED-backlit ACD. Now, if I needed more power, I would have an MBA as my traveler and a Mac Pro as my power Mac... that way I could use the 24" ACD with Mac Pro or hook up the MBA if I needed a file.

I guess I just don't understand two Macs with two smaller displays both laptops. But to each their own... personally, I have not found a task that I would need that the MBA with SSD will not easily handle; and the 9400m is a champion at driving the 24" LED-backlit ACD. I guess if I were made of money, I would have a Mac Pro with 30" ACD, a 24" LED with MBA and a 17" MBP fully done out with anti-glare display... but then I am not wealthy.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008

Yep. That's what I have.

3.06Ghz 17" MacBook Pro w/ 30" Dell LCD
2.16Ghz 13" MacBook Air w/ 24" Dell LCD

Amazing setup. suits every single need that I have.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I don't understand the purpose of an MBA and a 17" MBP.

Good point. Two things.

1. The 17" MacBook Pro is as fast (same internal components) as the 24 & 30" iMacs. BUT it's portable, super high-res and maintains a higher resale value than the iMac. Portables are just in higher demand. I can take the 17" with me on certain trips where I need more power or plan on gaming A LOT.

2. The 13" MBA is great and I use it for almost every portable aspect of my life. the 17" MBP will stay plugged in at my desk w/ the 30" monitor 6 or even 7 days a week but there are 3-4 days a month that I unplug it and am glad to have a portable 3GHZ+ computer.

I'd be ultimately dissapointed with a MacPro or iMac. They're big, not that much more powerful than the MBP line and certainly not portable as i ride my bike 4+ miles to and from work & home each day. If I'm going home for a 3 day weekend and have high demand stuff going on, I take my 17" home with me. But during weeknights, the 17" stays at the office and the thin & light MBA goes in my backpack. It's just convenience in the highest standard.

Now, honestly if I was wealthy, Yes a 30" iMac would be at my desk FULL TIME, a MacBook Pro 13" would be right beside it & a MacBook Air would be in my bag. the 13" would replace the tasks of my 17" as my portable power house, iMac would be my work computer and MBA would be skinny & sexy companion.

That's my opinion but having two laptops now is well worth it and they compliment each other perfectly!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I don't understand the purpose of an MBA and a 17" MBP. I think the greatest setup in the world, for me, is the MBA with 2.13 GHz CPU, 128 GB SSD, and a 24" LED-backlit ACD. Now, if I needed more power, I would have an MBA as my traveler and a Mac Pro as my power Mac... that way I could use the 24" ACD with Mac Pro or hook up the MBA if I needed a file.

I guess I just don't understand two Macs with two smaller displays both laptops. But to each their own... personally, I have not found a task that I would need that the MBA with SSD will not easily handle; and the 9400m is a champion at driving the 24" LED-backlit ACD. I guess if I were made of money, I would have a Mac Pro with 30" ACD, a 24" LED with MBA and a 17" MBP fully done out with anti-glare display... but then I am not wealthy.

I totally agree. The MacBook Air is the ultimate companion for the Mac Pro.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
30" iMac would be at my desk FULL TIME, a MacBook Pro 13" would be right beside it & a MacBook Air would be in my bag. the 13" would replace the tasks of my 17" as my portable power house, iMac would be my work computer and MBA would be skinny & sexy companion.

That's my opinion but having two laptops now is well worth it and they compliment each other perfectly!

That's close to my set up ... Mac Pro with dual 24" ACD's, a 13" MBP and a MBA...

The Mac Pro I use at my desk for heavier work, design /cad, downloading, back up, server etc.

I love my 13" MBP, small, light, powerful handles most everything I throw at it, just a GREAT computer, never hear the fan, doesn't even get hot under normal conditions ...

And, finally my little MBA, I love it too, while it's far from a main computer or adequate desktop replacement for my needs, it is the perfect netbook for me, so thin and light I take it everywhere. Most of my computing is done 'in the cloud' now so syncing between the three is easy, for files I use sugarsync couldn't be better, imo.

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
i ditched my aluminum macbook for a MBA and regretted it. only hat it for a week and a half, then returned it to get my MBP

the thing that killed me was the 1 usb port followed by smaller hard drive space. i could not fit my entire iTunes library on the MBA and then would have to connect a usb hub to sync my iphone.

the size and screen were awesome.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Good point. Two things.

1. The 17" MacBook Pro is as fast (same internal components) as the 24 & 30" iMacs. BUT it's portable, super high-res and maintains a higher resale value than the iMac. Portables are just in higher demand. I can take the 17" with me on certain trips where I need more power or plan on gaming A LOT.

2. The 13" MBA is great and I use it for almost every portable aspect of my life. the 17" MBP will stay plugged in at my desk w/ the 30" monitor 6 or even 7 days a week but there are 3-4 days a month that I unplug it and am glad to have a portable 3GHZ+ computer.

I'd be ultimately dissapointed with a MacPro or iMac. They're big, not that much more powerful than the MBP line and certainly not portable as i ride my bike 4+ miles to and from work & home each day. If I'm going home for a 3 day weekend and have high demand stuff going on, I take my 17" home with me. But during weeknights, the 17" stays at the office and the thin & light MBA goes in my backpack. It's just convenience in the highest standard.

Now, honestly if I was wealthy, Yes a 30" iMac would be at my desk FULL TIME, a MacBook Pro 13" would be right beside it & a MacBook Air would be in my bag. the 13" would replace the tasks of my 17" as my portable power house, iMac would be my work computer and MBA would be skinny & sexy companion.

30" iMac? :eek:
:rolleyes:

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
i ditched my aluminum macbook for a MBA and regretted it. only hat it for a week and a half, then returned it to get my MBP

the thing that killed me was the 1 usb port followed by smaller hard drive space. i could not fit my entire iTunes library on the MBA and then would have to connect a usb hub to sync my iphone.

Totally. I only ever connect my iPhone to MBA to charge it. It's a lap computer for me. my MBP does everything else.

That's close to my set up ... Mac Pro with dual 24" ACD's, a 13" MBP and a MBA...

And, finally my little MBA, I love it too, while it's far from a main computer or adequate desktop replacement for my needs, it is the perfect netbook for me, so thin and light I take it everywhere. Most of my computing is done 'in the cloud' now so syncing between the three is easy, for files I use sugarsync couldn't be better, imo.

Sugarsync needs work! But I use it w/ TimeMachine, .Mac & Mozy for a full solution. I wrote about syncing all of the Macs on my blog

http://blog.adam-jackson.net/2009/09/06/keeping-multiple-macs-pcs-in-sync/

30" iMac? :eek:
:rolleyes:

Yeah yeah.... I'm dreaming! A 30" iMac for $2999 would e in my shopping cart if I could sell my 17" MacBook Pro for around 2k.

GeekGirl*

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2009
Buffalo, NY

yep i did that too. No more Airs for me.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City

/buyers remorse.

Be glad you have the MBP, sounds like you watch a fair bit of video/HD content. I don't care what the fanboy's here say, the MBA will heat up, stutter and fail at video content. I've had the Rev B and C (SSD versions), both fail in the video playback department. The MBA is a great work tool, but falls short on becoming an all around work/entertainment device.

If you enjoy HD video, Hulu, Netflix and other video sites avoid the MBA until they overhaul it to handle it properly.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Is there any difference besides how the button is not beneath the trackpad?

Yes, the MBP as you know is glass, best trackpad I've ever used on a laptop hands down. The MBA is plastic? and not nearly as enjoyable to use. The MBA needs the MBP's trackpad for sure, but probably won't fit into the current form factor of the MBA.

Disavowed

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
Midwest
I am pissed I didn't wait till a week after starting school to buy. Like I have stated numerous times, I love my 15" MBP, but going from school, to Field Placements, and upcoming practicum rotations, I already resent the weight and size except for when I am home. Nearly all lectures are on ppt presentations via our school's BB site and I see plenty of twits walking around with nothing more than a piece of **** netbook. I'M PISSED!

The more I think about the MBA 2.13 with SSD drive would have lasted "me" the two years it needed to and my needs are pretty mundane in the grand schemata. :(

2.54ghz, 4g, 250gb with glass trackpad and there will be bloodshed if there is someone standing between me and that machine.

*F* me....

I feel like a troglodyte

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.