Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gerabbi

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2009
I am pissed I didn't wait till a week after starting school to buy. Like I have stated numerous times, I love my 15" MBP, but going from school, to Field Placements, and upcoming practicum rotations, I already resent the weight and size except for when I am home. Nearly all lectures are on ppt presentations via our school's BB site and I see plenty of twits walking around with nothing more than a piece of **** netbook. I'M PISSED!

The more I think about the MBA 2.13 with SSD drive would have lasted "me" the two years it needed to and my needs are pretty mundane in the grand schemata. :(

2.54ghz, 4g, 250gb with glass trackpad and there will be bloodshed if there is someone standing between me and that machine.

*F* me....

I feel like a troglodyte

You have a wonderful machine. Enjoy!:)

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
MA
Yes, the MBP as you know is glass, best trackpad I've ever used on a laptop hands down. The MBA is plastic? and not nearly as enjoyable to use. The MBA needs the MBP's trackpad for sure, but probably won't fit into the current form factor of the MBA.
Oh. Didn't know that. Thanks for clearing that up.

coast1ja

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2009
Yes, the MBP as you know is glass, best trackpad I've ever used on a laptop hands down. The MBA is plastic? and not nearly as enjoyable to use. The MBA needs the MBP's trackpad for sure, but probably won't fit into the current form factor of the MBA.

I kinda like the actual button on the bottom. Also, if you like the feel of the glass, try an invisibleshield skin. I have an invisibleshield on my entire MBA, trackpad and all! The smooth plastic makes it feel remarkably like the glass trackpad.

Kelly the Dude

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
I kind of know what you mean. I have a Both a Pro and a Macbook "nothing", and even though I really like them both, it would be nice to just carry one small one for taking notes.

The more and more I look at NetBook options, the more and more I appreciate the Air. If it hit the $999 area, it would definitely be a quick seller.

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009

The glass is nice and I'd like that on the MBA but I really am not a fan of the "trackpad is the button" concept. If the tap gestures were more reliable, or I did not like to drag-n-drop so much I might be ok with it but I just have too many cases where I need to "hold" something for a long time. I hate click-lock, and the mixed signals of clicking and tapping on the glass trackpad get me all tangled.

That said, everyone seems to use trackpads differently. I can see it being a really great upgrade to some.

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
MA
The glass is nice and I'd like that on the MBA but I really am not a fan of the "trackpad is the button" concept. If the tap gestures were more reliable, or I did not like to drag-n-drop so much I might be ok with it but I just have too many cases where I need to "hold" something for a long time. I hate click-lock, and the mixed signals of clicking and tapping on the glass trackpad get me all tangled.

That said, everyone seems to use trackpads differently. I can see it being a really great upgrade to some.

The one thing that sucks is dragging on the glasspad. The worst seems to be moving an item from my montior to the trash on an external monitor. It's a real drag :eek:

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
I don't really have any problems dragging, or otherwise, on my 17" MBP's glass trackpad. I pretty much use it like the Air, with my thumb at the bottom of the trackpad as if the button existed. Since it ignores the input it's pretty much no different, at least that I notice. I'd say I use it in exactly the same way as the Air's trackpad.

Gadgetman99

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
I kind of know what you mean. I have a Both a Pro and a Macbook "nothing", and even though I really like them both, it would be nice to just carry one small one for taking notes.

The more and more I look at NetBook options, the more and more I appreciate the Air. If it hit the $999 area, it would definitely be a quick seller.

My rev b was $770 on clearance at Best Buy (with SL). It might be the lowly 1.6gh, but it does everything I need and beats the heck out of my old netbook (which I sold after getting the MBA to keep cost down). Once I sell a few items on ebay, I might get the runcore SSD to make it even better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.