Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I have been reading about the different display technologies and learned quite a bit when I read about e-ink. The e-ink display essentially uses no energy after the display content is rendered. There was even a picture of some e-ink displays that were removed from their devices and mounted on the wall - the screen content is still visible even though there is no connection to a power source.

Can you imagine the battery life of the Apple Watch if Apple had produced them with an e-ink display? From what I understand there is now color in e-ink displays. I wonder why Apple didn’t go with e-ink in the Apple Watch.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Look at the pebble. Great device, but e-ink refresh rates are a tough but to crack. The last iteration of the pebble really shocked me with the animations they were able to do but it’s nowhere near what I’d consider a fluid experience.

Reactions: revmacian

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Look at the pebble. Great device, but e-ink refresh rates are a tough but to crack. The last iteration of the pebble really shocked me with the animations they were able to do but it’s nowhere near what I’d consider a fluid experience.
Ah, ok, refresh rates. Yeah, I can see how that would detract from the experience.

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Pebble was my first smart watch. The e-ink technology was great for what the watch offered at the time. But I think Apple watch’s functionalities have now far surpassed what e-ink is suitable for. Unless the technology takes a giant leap forward to match. But seeing the latest kindle updates over the past few years I wouldn’t hold my breath of that happening anytime soon.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I have been reading about the different display technologies and learned quite a bit when I read about e-ink. The e-ink display essentially uses no energy after the display content is rendered. There was even a picture of some e-ink displays that were removed from their devices and mounted on the wall - the screen content is still visible even though there is no connection to a power source.

Can you imagine the battery life of the Apple Watch if Apple had produced them with an e-ink display? From what I understand there is now color in e-ink displays. I wonder why Apple didn’t go with e-ink in the Apple Watch.

Color accuracy, contrast ratio. It just doesn’t look as nice.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Because it would have looked like crap.

E-ink might be fine on a $100 pebble watch.

Not so much for a $1000 Apple Watch.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Wowsers, thanks for the insights everyone. I had no idea that e-ink isn’t ready for prime time where the Apple Watch is concerned.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004

Come on e-ink looks like and etch a sketch. Looks terrible.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
E-ink is very dated technology. Pebble was a watch that used it, and although it worked for what it was worth, I just don’t think it offers really anything tangible, aside from some battery conservation, OLED is acceptable for now, but the next GEN displays will be here eventually for the Apple Watch, likely micro LED.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
E-ink is also a dying technology. I think there’s only one major company putting any real R&D dollars into it.

Compare that to the 2000’s where it was viewed as the next major technology and funding was being thrown at development.

Once the industry decides it’s not going to invest in new developments of a technology it’s pretty much the end of the road.

Personally I think it’s an incredibly neat technology, but I don’t see it ever growing again beyond the small production specialty uses that it currently serves.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
USA
E-ink is also a dying technology. I think there’s only one major company putting any real R&D dollars into it.

Compare that to the 2000’s where it was viewed as the next major technology and funding was being thrown at development.

Once the industry decides it’s not going to invest in new developments of a technology it’s pretty much the end of the road.

Personally I think it’s an incredibly neat technology, but I don’t see it ever growing again beyond the small production specialty uses that it currently serves.
Yeah, good point.. if you can’t “wow” the industry then your days are numbered.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
I definitely prefer reading on e-ink, although my choice is Kobo rather than Kindle.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Pebble was my first smart watch. The e-ink technology was great for what the watch offered at the time. But I think Apple watch’s functionalities have now far surpassed what e-ink is suitable for. Unless the technology takes a giant leap forward to match. But seeing the latest kindle updates over the past few years I wouldn’t hold my breath of that happening anytime soon.

Exactly my thoughts.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
To add on, I think Apple is gunning for whole-day battery life and isn't really interested in extending it beyond that. Their assumption is like that the user will be charging the watch overnight and as such, Apple is comfortable channeling any excess battery life towards features like the AOD and noise tracking. I can see how this would be problematic if you are out in the field for days on end without ready access to power, and I guess it's either a power bank or switch to a "dumb watch" for that couple of days.

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
To add on, I think Apple is gunning for whole-day battery life and isn't really interested in extending it beyond that. Their assumption is like that the user will be charging the watch overnight and as such, Apple is comfortable channeling any excess battery life towards features like the AOD and noise tracking. I can see how this would be problematic if you are out in the field for days on end without ready access to power, and I guess it's either a power bank or switch to a "dumb watch" for that couple of days.

I would like to see Apple work on a watch display where the entire display is (transparent) solar cells. Even if it couldn't keep the watch fully charged, if it could enable 5 day battery life, that would be fantastic.

I went from wearing a solar charged G-Shock for the last few years where I never ever thought about battery life to a watch where it is now always a consideration. The features you gain make it worth it, though.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I went from wearing a solar charged G-Shock for the last few years where I never ever thought about battery life to a watch where it is now always a consideration. The features you gain make it worth it, though.
I know, right? Back when I was using a g-shock as well, I only had to replace the battery once every couple of years. Now with my series 5, you can literally see the battery meter drop every hour (so far, it seems to be about 5% every 2 hours for me).

The Apple Watch is really more of a miniature computer you strap on your wrist, just as the iPhone is a computer in your pocket. Expect battery life to be about there as well.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

That use case is pretty narrow and if someone is in that situation then most likely there won’t be any network coverage either, which makes the phone and the watch pretty dumb anyway. When I go mountain climbing etc I always use my trusted GShock Mudman.

McPhallus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
I would like to see Apple work on a watch display where the entire display is (transparent) solar cells. Even if it couldn't keep the watch fully charged, if it could enable 5 day battery life, that would be fantastic.

Maybe they could do an SE or something similar that would have more limited features, a simpler display, and even better power management.

Citizen also makes some interesting solar-powered watches with their eco drive, but they seem to often get overlooked. I’ve had this one for years that’s been running nonstop since I bought it and kept it on my nightstand. The solar cells are built into the dial.
76F52F6C-9A31-460E-BB5E-B18E75D72CAD.jpeg

Reactions: Duncan68

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
E-ink is very dated technology.

So is fire, and the wheel, yet we use those ancient technologies regularly where they make sense. :D

Pebble was a watch that used it, and although it worked for what it was worth, I just don’t think it offers really anything tangible, aside from some battery conservation, OLED is acceptable for now, but the next GEN displays will be here eventually for the Apple Watch, likely micro LED.

Where e-ink really "shines" is with relatively static monochrome display to be viewed in bright lights, with minimal power draw. e-readers like the kindle are a great use for the technology. You can view the display in full sun with no glare or eye strain. Tradeoff is viewing in poor lighting.

To your point though, the days of e-ink for watches is gone.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So is fire, and the wheel, yet we use those ancient technologies regularly where they make sense. :D

Where e-ink really "shines" is with relatively static monochrome display to be viewed in bright lights, with minimal power draw. e-readers like the kindle are a great use for the technology. You can view the display in full sun with no glare or eye strain. Tradeoff is viewing in poor lighting.

To your point though, the days of e-ink for watches is gone.

I wasn’t indicating E-ink isn’t relative anymore, it still is in a sense, the reason manufactures are using panels like OLED/LCD, is strictly for the wide color gamut for photos/videos and of course a higher brightness. Plus, LCD technologies has been around for ages, even OLED isn’t new technology. But I digress, I don’t use any E-readers of any sort and they definitely have their place. I do think Pebble had a great thing going for them in the beginning with their watches, they tried to move to a colored display, but by that time, Apple had moved into the ‘game’ with the Apple Watch, virtually sinking them.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
@Relentless Power I was responding tongue-in-cheek on the old technology part.

We're in agreement that the market today isn't interested in e-ink for smart watches. It's a great technology for a certain niche, such as e-readers, but doesn't serve the needs of watches at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.