Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
e-readers like the kindle are a great use for the technology. You can view the display in full sun with no glare or eye strain. Tradeoff is viewing in poor lighting.

Most newer e-readers with e-ink seem to have a built in light on the screen.

I often read my Kindle Paperwhite in the dark and also under direct sunlight.

McPhallus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011

The new oasis even has a truetone-like feature which can make the screen more yellowish.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

Yes, I have a kindle voyage with the side-light. While it gets the job done, it’s still not the best IMHO.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I liked your post; but I also liked the example of a "traditional" watch with a square face. Some people don't seem to believe they exist.

I’ve never heard that before where ‘some people don’t believe they exist’. Square watches/faces do exist, but they’re not a commonality in comparison to the popularity and overall historical design with a round face. The reality is, if somebody wants a square mechanical watch, you’re likely paying thousands of dollars to have it, because those are usually more of a European design time piece.

dmr2112

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2017
I feel like e-ink just isn't right for a premium smartwatch market. I've seen e-ink be used in a ton of creative ways though. There are those little coupon tabs in some grocery store isles. Most I see anymore are surprisingly e-ink. As well as the price markers themselves being e-ink occasionally over the always needing changed paper stickers. I think it definitely has a ton of great usage in other markets though. I'll be surprised if going forward a lot of signs aren't e-ink or similar technology. That's honestly the biggest issue with technology as a whole too, shoving technology into areas it really doesn't fit. I may get slack for this but while companies are trying to fold displays around phones I don't know why they aren't already implemented in hundreds of other more beneficial uses around the world. Just my view though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.