Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordsinforge

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2002
Ithaca, NY
Originally posted by Metatron
I know nothing about processors, so any statement I make, feel free to correct me. I was told that the fastest desktop computer was a anything with a dual zeon by intel.

Except for the fact that xeon's are not for desktop machines. They are a server prossessor. They run extreamly hot and need a whole sh*t load of cooling. running one in a desktop machine would result in eather a really big cooling unit or a melted heap of slag.

LS

Dandee

macrumors newbie
I hope that we finally get such a speed that without any test or benchmark whatsoever we will be able to kick the **** out of those grey (win)dozes and very badly ripped steal-offs (hear this Compack). But i do agree, reaching faster speed is wanna override faster speed. That's the problem, it's never enough.
I can still hear my neighbour say: WOW 2.4 GHZ, don't u love it. My question towards him: So, what are you planning to do on such a 'monster'. Answer (believe it or not): Word, Excel, Internet! (Me and my fam almost moved to another town).

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Originally posted by Dandee
I hope that we finally get such a speed that without any test or benchmark whatsoever we will be able to kick the **** out of those grey (win)dozes and very badly ripped steal-offs (hear this Compack). But i do agree, reaching faster speed is wanna override faster speed. That's the problem, it's never enough.
I can still hear my neighbour say: WOW 2.4 GHZ, don't u love it. My question towards him: So, what are you planning to do on such a 'monster'. Answer (believe it or not): Word, Excel, Internet! (Me and my fam almost moved to another town).

Tell him his POS box doesn't even have hyperthreading. Then kick him in the balls.

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Sorry, but I don't think that day will come, and if it does, it probably won't last long. What will more likely be the case is that computers will get so fast, have so much ram and storage, that the hardware will be indistinguishable without opening the case. When that day comes, indeed it is already fast approaching, software will determine the worth of a computer, and hopefully people will realize how much better OS X is.

User X

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Does anyone know how high the 970 is planned to scale up to. Is 1.8 the max or just the begining?

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Who knows, what if IBM was to come up with a version that is say 1.4Ghz for MWSF??? Then in the summer/autumn bring out the 1.8Ghz

locovaca

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2002
Iowa
Originally posted by lordsinforge

Except for the fact that xeon's are not for desktop machines. They are a server prossessor. They run extreamly hot and need a whole sh*t load of cooling. running one in a desktop machine would result in eather a really big cooling unit or a melted heap of slag.

LS

Except for the fact that they are workstation/low end server processors, do not run extremely hot, and do not require a large amount of cooling. They are the exact same processor as the P4 with SMP enabled & have more cache. See these here? http://www.dell.com/us/en/bsd/products/series_precn_desktops.htm Xeons. Can be configured as dual.

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Altivec is a vector processing unit on some processors made by Motorola and now IBM. Anyone who makes something that uses this processor, be it a computer or a router, can write code that uses the Altivec unit.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
Re: Altivec compatable

Originally posted by Dj Kioto
Geemawitsgotdemtharvectorthingysinit vector processor

Hehehehehehe...:D ;)

Sure, who knows when these things will come out. It'd be great if it was January. But most indications and rumors point to late 2003, and usually rumors tend to be fairly accurate if enough people are stating them, right?

evolu

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2002
LA la land...
Originally posted by ThlayliTheFierce
Altivec is a vector processing unit on some processors made by Motorola and now IBM. Anyone who makes something that uses this processor, be it a computer or a router, can write code that uses the Altivec unit.

But if another company wanted to utilize this technology, software vendors would have to rewrite code to accomodate Altivec, right?

Meaning, the only way Altivec could be used by another company is if their sofware is written specifically for Altivec.

Would this mean that only Apple could use this processor?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Re: Altivec compatable

Originally posted by jrv3034

Hehehehehehe...:D ;)

Sure, who knows when these things will come out. It'd be great if it was January. But most indications and rumors point to late 2003, and usually rumors tend to be fairly accurate if enough people are stating them, right?

IBM itself says production volume in second half of 2003.

arn

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Altivec compatable

Originally posted by arn
IBM itself says production volume in second half of 2003.arn

Exactly. It's confirmed by IBM that the chips will be produced then, but that doesen't mean it will show up in Macs right then. It could take Apple longer than that, although everyone hopes for sooner rather than later, of course. That's where the rumors come in.

badika

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2002
when?

The news about cutting OS9 boot abilities being extended to mid-'03 suspiciously syncs well with the expected release of these new babies, and the release of Quark X. Rumour mill fodder, congeal~!

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Originally posted by evolu

But if another company wanted to utilize this technology, software vendors would have to rewrite code to accomodate Altivec, right?

Meaning, the only way Altivec could be used by another company is if their sofware is written specifically for Altivec.

Would this mean that only Apple could use this processor?

Yes, other companies would have to rewrite their software, but routers use software as well. The G4 is also used in embedded systems, which, again, have their own software. I read that Apple actually constitutes a minority of the G4 sales. Thus, it would probably be easy for another company who currently uses the G4 to switch to the 970, something which IBM might be hoping for.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2002
WA
What if.....?

IBM is making chips at an old facility now. A few thousand or so. And apple will put them into expensive powermacs in January. They must have these chips somewhere right now. The new plant will reduce the cost and number of chips for cheaper systems later on. :)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
It goes into VOLUME production in 2003. That means if Apple is going to use the chip, they've been testing pre-production units. Probably for awhile now. That way, when it does go into volume production (at least enough for IBM itself, and all of it's customers - there's sure to be other customers) Apple can start BUILDING the units right away. Not selling. If it goes into volume production in Spring/Fall 2003, it might take awhile before you can actually BUY the new Macs.

But I'm hoping for sooner than later. :D

Mr. Dibbs

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2002
USA
Re: What if.....?

IBM will not be making the chips in an old facility, and it's entirely possible that apple could be making a PPC 970 compliant machine/build. However, we all know apple doesn't usually get things perfect on the first release, so I would think that they might get a low end Xserve box out during the debut, and by the time the high end machine is up for shipping, the OS will hopefully be refined enough to run really well on the high end box. my only doubt is that apple is going to radically change the Xserve architecture all at once, because from what I hear from AppleCare people, they are all having to take some serious Xserve training, and having to re-learn all that would be a big waste of rescources... but it wouldn't be the first time. below is an excerpt from the newsletter. -dibbs

The PowerPC 970 is designed in IBM 0.13-micron CMOS silicon-on-insulator (SOI) technology and will be manufactured in IBM's new state-of-the-art 300-mm facility in East Fishkill, NY. Sampling is scheduled to begin in the second quarter of 2003 with production expected in the second half of 2003.

ogun7

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2001
Re: Could IBM be lying?

Originally posted by Silver Dragon
Did anyone ever think that maybe, just maybe Uncle Steve will announce 970 based G4's this January at macworld?

Ya know, Uncle Steve better do something, 'cause NOONE is gonna buy a PowerMac before the 970 ships.

Not me, anyway. (and I'm in animation school trying to run Maya on a Dual 450)

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Originally posted by Falleron
Who knows, what if IBM was to come up with a version that is say 1.4Ghz for MWSF??? Then in the summer/autumn bring out the 1.8Ghz

this is a very good point. ibm said they would
have the 970 at 1.8 during the third quarter
of 2003. what it they already have a 970 running
at 1.4 and are producing those in mass production?

Wano

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2002
I really hope that they release a powermac with the 970 in the next three months, because i am going to get what ever is availavle around that time, cause i need it for video editing...then i am planning on getting a powerbook. hopefully, there will be something great, cause i don't want to wait.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
goo!

970.jpg

I'm breathing heavy just looking at it. That is a sexy goddamn chip. :D

Could it look anymore like the new g4 tower?

<image edited, obviously.>

blogo

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2002
If Apple is gonna support OS 9 another six months, i don't think we will see 970's before summer 2003 atleast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.