Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
I really hope that Apple deliver this chip as soon as posible... I love the specs... 6.4Gbps data rate on the interface bus... DAMN! :) Bring it on Apple!

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by beatle888

this is a very good point. ibm said they would
have the 970 at 1.8 during the third quarter
of 2003. what it they already have a 970 running
at 1.4 and are producing those in mass production?

Actually no. The newsletter is unambiguous when it states:

"The PowerPC 970 is designed in IBM 0.13-micron CMOS silicon-on-insulator (SOI) technology and will be manufactured in IBM's new state-of-the-art 300-mm facility in East Fishkill, NY. Sampling is scheduled to begin in the second quarter of 2003 with production expected in the second half of 2003."

It's pretty clear that they're talking about the 970 as a whole and not certain speeds--unless they're flat out lying or this newsletter is inaccurate. If they're already mass producing 970s at some speed, they CANNOT be saying that "sampling is scheduled to begin..." Sorry to rain on your parade. Not possible.

Raiden

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2002
I am looking forward to these new chips!

I think a more logical date to unveil these chips is at the mac world at new york. It fits the time perfectly, midway through the year, and it would give SJ a big hitting "just one more thing". So MWNW wont be a let-down like it was this year.

jg3

macrumors member
May 3, 2002
Urbana, IL
Re: goo!

Originally posted by cr2sh
Could it look anymore like the new g4 tower?

Well, I suppose it could look like this:

G5MDD.jpg

:D

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
Re: Re: Re: Re: Altivec compatable

Originally posted by jrv3034

Exactly. It's confirmed by IBM that the chips will be produced then, but that doesen't mean it will show up in Macs right then. It could take Apple longer than that, although everyone hopes for sooner rather than later, of course. That's where the rumors come in.

Timing of the IBM PowerPC 970....

Here's something I thought of while reading an article at IBM's website about the PPC 970 [http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/products/powerpc/newsletter/dec2002/newproductfocus2.html]. This is the first time I have thought of this even though I have read the timeline estimates many times. They have stated many times that the 970 will be sampled in Q2 03, with production in the 2nd half of 03.

What do we think IBM means by Q2 of 2003? Is it Q2 of Fiscal 03 or calendar 03? If Fiscal 03, are we not already in that by Apple's and IBM's SEC papers?

Hmmmmmm.......

Also, does anybody have any info on the status of the Fishkills, NY plant IBM is building to fab the 970? What state of completion is it in?

---
primalman

Wano

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2002
Would it be possible for apple to put out a machine with such a drastic speed bump. What if apple are going to work on the G4 chip a little more untill they reach at least 1.6Ghz, about two releases from now, and then release the 970. Would that be a possibility? or are they thinking of releasing it as soon as possible? cause in that case the speed bump will be huge.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by Wano
Would it be possible for apple to put out a machine with such a drastic speed bump. What if apple are going to work on the G4 chip a little more untill they reach at least 1.6Ghz, about two releases from now, and then release the 970. Would that be a possibility? or are they thinking of releasing it as soon as possible? cause in that case the speed bump will be huge.

Apple needs a huge speed bump...it's not like they are going from 1.25 to 3.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by JSRockit

Apple needs a huge speed bump...it's not like they are going from 1.25 to 3.

and they probably wont go from 1.25 to 1.8...right? so, what i am thinking is that they might go up to 1.6 or something(if possible with the G4), and then release the 970 or something

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
They changed up the front-side on the current g4's which I was surprised by. I expected to see DDR, but not this 166fsb. I don't remember anyone mentioning that this might happen... we're using the same multiplier on the new 1.25 as we were on the old 1GHz...
My point is, if they can pull that 166 out of nowhere - who's to say what else is working...

Or am I wrong?

groundhog troll

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2002
A few years ago IBM designed a CISC chip that decentralized the clock on the chip which enabled it to run at speeds of 3.3 to 4.5 billion calculations a second 3.3-4.5 GHz. It was called IPCMOS for Interlocked Pipelined CMOS. Question, was it ever implimented into any IBM chips? if yes, which ones? or did Intel acquire this technology:rolleyes:

Trolling trolling on the river

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by groundhog troll
A few years ago IBM designed a CISC chip that decentralized the clock on the chip which enabled it to run at speeds of 3.3 to 4.5 billion calculations a second 3.3-4.5 GHz. It was called IPCMOS for Interlocked Pipelined CMOS. Question, was it ever implimented into any IBM chips? if yes, which ones? or did Intel acquire this technology:rolleyes:

Trolling trolling on the river
Oh you mean this.... here?

Anyways, I guess apple has some planing to due for any of these chips at any of these speeds...
Oh yeah Note to apple: Spend some of that 4 BILLION in the bank to some chip Tech, PLEASE. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.