Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
just random tidbits... nothing solid, nothing reliable...

arn

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
apple... please... it's way past time for this... I can't take any more false rumors about ibook/ PB updates!! We know you have 'em; let us buy 'em!

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I guess this would be in line with the TS rumor from a little bit ago. But, I'm not convinced. Luckily, I don't have to be. I can just sit and wait a few hours... :)

bentmywookie

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
Palo Alto
I do think there is a possibility the iBooks will be released tomorrow. If you look at the very un-exciting upgrade specs that ThinkSecret posted, this is not going to be Apple.com frontpage material in the least. However, if they do update the iBooks, I can't imagine Apple not putting in on the frontpage in some way - however, if they do it tomorrow, they will only have to have the incredibly worthless "900 Mhz iBook" announcement on for a week (at least as the main ad), since April 28th is definitely bringing some, much bigger announcement.

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
Hmmm

I dont know about when the new iBooks are coming, but has anyone else realized Apple is able to switch to G4 iBooks with little overhead expense?

It appears to me that when the 970 enters the PowerBook line next winter/spring, the existing motherboards from the 12" powerbook will be used on the 12" and 14" iBooks with little or no modifications. Does anyone else agree?

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
canada's apple store...

apple store is down north of the border too, im guessing random maintainance tho... usually is

celaurie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Originally posted by meghop
They're heeeerrrre.... New ibooks up!

Bugger this dial-up connection! If the flipping page would have loaded quicker I might have been able to tell you that at least 3 minutes ago.

Heh, new iBooks... sweet!

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
Re: hmmmmmmm

Originally posted by digitalgiant
Apple store site is down at the moment,,,we shall see;)

though i've noty checked properly...seems to be for as new store design...oh new ibook...only 900mhz but i didn't see it in the sore main page or the main splash, only one of them small ads, seems very minor revision....and no airport extreme...also its $300 more for just 10 more gig and 100mhz faster, thats all i can tell is difference, the older 12.1" is much more of a bargin at 999

zer0army

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2003
Toronto
60 gig hard drive ?

The font page of the apple site boasts a 60 gig hard drive option for the ibook. However when you check out the tech specs on the ibook page it says the biggest drive you can get is a 40 gig. Have they just not updated the info yet ?

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Re: 60 gig hard drive ?

Originally posted by zer0army
The font page of the apple site boasts a 60 gig hard drive option for the ibook. However when you check out the tech specs on the ibook page it says the biggest drive you can get is a 40 gig. Have they just not updated the info yet ?

in the store they show the 60 gig.. its only the cutom built one tho

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
Re: Re: hmmmmmmm

Originally posted by dstorey
its $300 more for just 10 more gig and 100mhz faster, thats all i can tell is difference, the older 12.1" is much more of a bargin at 999

it's 10gb, 100mhz AND a combo drive

entirely a bargain if you ask me. excellent value.

ChrisUK

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2003
Lincoln - UK
.mac as a BTO option too

Here in the uK they have added the .mac account as a Build To Order option too. It is available on all of the macs.

The 60gig HD option is also avaialble.

I'm not too woried about the lack of Firewire Extreme, however I think that Apple has missed an oportunity in not adding Bluetooth. But I suppose that they needed to keep re-engineering costs down as well as a need to differentiate the extra cost of the 12" Powerbook.

Finally, why can you not purchase the D-Link BT adapter on its own (or with an ibook)? You can only get it if you order it with the 15" imac or the 15.1" TiBook?

dekator

macrumors regular
May 18, 2002
Krautistan
No big thing

Nothing but a slight speed bump really. No Air Port Extreme, no Bluetooth and still only 128MB of RAM... (with the 12'1ers)
That means, if you actually want to use your iBook, you'll have to have RAM added to it right away (or add it yourself, of course, which is preferable given the prices of the Apple Store). I wonder what impression that makes with newbies. Silly, if you ask me.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
My iBook isn't top of the line anymore :(

Not that there's much difference, I'm happy with what I've got.

Edit: They also appear to still run OS 9. My reasoning behind this is that the spec sheet says "Software: Mac OS X, Mac OS 9" but the Power Mac sheet says "Mac OS X with Classic Environment".

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
hahahhahahahahahhahaha

I love Apple, they're great.

Instead of having a big splash on the front page they've got a "Check out our new store design" image.

It's so obvious they monitor these sites like hawks.

AppleMatt

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by Nermal
Edit: They also appear to still run OS 9. My reasoning behind this is that the spec sheet says "Software: Mac OS X, Mac OS 9" but the Power Mac sheet says "Mac OS X with Classic Environment".

They do:

step1bullet1ibook_1102.gif

:)

Now I want to see the 12" Powerbook compared to the 900MHz iBook, then I'll know which to get.

AppleMatt

(You'll have to click on the image link, for some reason the picture isn't showing up)

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
Re: hahahhahahahahahhahaha

Originally posted by AppleMatt
\
It's so obvious they monitor these sites like hawks.

AppleMatt

if they monitor these sites like hawks..... it's kinda dissapointing that they only gave aus a speed bump and not what we want

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by melchior
what was this source and what else do they have to say?
why do you people ask for sources, these people who know are not suppose to tell, thats what gets them in trouble, you will never know the sources and you dont need to know. have some common sense.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.