Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclab

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Is anyone else suffering from this issue with ical in Lion? overlapping events is just a big mess in this latest version of ical, this issue did not exist in the previous version with snow leopard. How did these not get sorted already.

THIS ISSUE DID NOT EXIST ON ical 4 - Snow Leopard edition !!!!!

Lion ical !

Ical in lion by maclabAU, on Flickr

ipad ical

Ipadical2 by maclabAU, on Flickr

Very annoying !

Last edited:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
stop overlapping them? i mean, make events (for example) a half-hour, if the next one is a half-hour later.

i've been doing that forever, just to keep things neat...

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
All the talented engineers at Apple, and they still can't put out a calendar application that doesn't look and perform like something written by high school kids.

What a pathetic application. Address Book is the same POS.

AnneStuarto238

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
All the talented engineers at Apple, and they still can't put out a calendar application that doesn't look and perform like something written by high school kids.

What a pathetic application. Address Book is the same POS.

Knowing some good alternative for both? :confused:

maclab

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
stop overlapping them? i mean, make events (for example) a half-hour, if the next one is a half-hour later.

i've been doing that forever, just to keep things neat...

ummm...the appointment time is the appointment time, I can't move them around to make it look neater, I do see 2 clients at a time.

----------

Also we did not have this issue on ical 4 in Snow Leopard !!!!!

I have called Apple Care about this 3 times now to try and inform them, but Apple Care where useless! they just kept trying to guess what I was talking about and not replicating the issue, very frustrating, hence why I tried 3 times calling but have now given up on them.

SORT IT OUT APPLE !!! WE NEED A CALENDAR

----------

Busy cal is the only alternative at the moment, but they are dreaming that I will pay $50 for it in AU ....... and I shouldn't have to !

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
ummm...the appointment time is the appointment time, I can't move them around to make it look neater, I do see 2 clients at a time.

am talking about the END time; if appointments don't overlap, change the ends to not overlap, i.e. 4pm-415, or 2pm-230...

make sense?
works for me...

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
am talking about the END time; if appointments don't overlap, change the ends to not overlap, i.e. 4pm-415, or 2pm-230...

make sense?
works for me...

Whatever happened to the "it just works" for Mac?

Guess that ended with Lion did it?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Whatever happened to the "it just works" for Mac?

Guess that ended with Lion did it?

i have my own issues with Lion, but...what are you talking about??
if an end time overlaps a start time...it overlaps.
a simple alternative is to stretch an appointment to the time of the next one.

not complicated.

maclab

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
i have my own issues with Lion, but...what are you talking about??
if an end time overlaps a start time...it overlaps.
a simple alternative is to stretch an appointment to the time of the next one.

not complicated.

Impossible in my case ..... I have a double booked schedule all the time for up to 10 hrs.....also we should not have too stuff around like this, I did not have an issue with ical 4 ..... but thank you for trying to help.

maclab

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
can anyone tell me if this has been fixed in 10.7.2 ?

thx

vandozza

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2006
Australia
Use Terminal.app to turn on the iCal Debug Menu -
defaults write com.apple.iCal IncludeDebugMenu 1

Then in iCal go to the debug menu > Top Sekret (sic) > Uncheck "use iPad style event layout."

Quit iCal and restart. Did this help?

maclab

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009

Then in iCal go to the debug menu > Top Sekret (sic) > Uncheck "use iPad style event layout."

Thank you so much ...... that did it !!! It had to be a fellow Aussie :)

vandozza

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2006
Australia
Thank you so much ...... that did it !!! It had to be a fellow Aussie :)

Glad to help.

You can now remove the debug menu if you don't wanna see that as well.

(I've used an app MacPilot to show/hide these extra prefs in the past, then you can avoid the terminal.)

Now... about this reward... :)

jk10003

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2011
Change the look of iCal

first thing i i did in Lion: change the look of this (to get rid of that ridiculous brown paper top bar)... :D

Sorry for dealing with an old post, but can you share how to change the new (dis-improved?) iCal look? Thanks.

JK

Djay1

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I use BusyCal instead: it uses the old layout, and in addition gives you the option to view two weeks at a time.

After a few iCal issues and the new "tacky" look, I sprang for BusyCal and the drop down calendar "Fantastical". The iCloud integration between the two as well as the integration of the two with iCalendar on my iPad 1 works seamlessly.

Some extra bucks but very pleased with this combo.

juliachidley

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
This works!

When I first came across this fix I didn't get it. I'm not computer savvy. I don't know PC language either. I finally got you have to type in the Terminal.app at the flashing curser the whole thing beginning with "defaults...1" just as it looks above spaces and all. Then the next part is in iCal where a new menu magically appeared "debug". Thought I'd give it another try. This time I took my time followed your instructions and it fixed my overlapping events! Thanks Vandozza!:D

JamesEis

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2012
Cambridge
Thanks - it worked!!

When I first came across this fix I didn't get it. I'm not computer savvy. I don't know PC language either. I finally got you have to type in the Terminal.app at the flashing curser the whole thing beginning with "defaults...1" just as it looks above spaces and all. Then the next part is in iCal where a new menu magically appeared "debug". Thought I'd give it another try. This time I took my time followed your instructions and it fixed my overlapping events! Thanks Vandozza!:D

Many thanks to vandozza for the original answer, and to juliachidley for putting it in words of one syllable for duffers like me! Can I add that I found I had to quit iCal and restart it after entering that occult incantation into Terminal.app. THEN I saw the 'debug' menu appear, and was able to follow vandozza's instructions. It worked! Magic!! :)

nicktedesco

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
Removing Debug Menu

You can remove the debug menu by going back into terminal and typing

defaults write com.apple.iCal IncludeDebugMenu 0

The only thing changed from before is there is a 0 at the end of the command rather than a 1.

dwimmer

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2012
Thank you

Thank you for the Debug menu tip. After switching from 7 day week view to 14 day view I noticed it did not switch back to 7 day week view. This was simply corrected by clicking month view and then back to week view. Just putting this tip out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.