Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacOSXRumors reports that the next major revision of iChat AV will will have AOL/AIM video-conferencing compatibility... while interoperability with other protocols is not expected, according to the rumor site.

AOL's AIM with video conferencing is currently in Beta testing... and several readers have reported that AIM Beta users appear in iChat with a greyed-out Video icon next to their screen-names. As a result, the two applications do not presently allow inter-app video conferencing.... but do recognize the existence of the video-capabilities of the other application.

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
Audio also

Also if they only have audio, there will be a greyed out audio icon.

SFNE Freak

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2003
CT
Yea...I noticed when I used iChat to receive an image the other day a few people had greyed out video icons that were Windows users.

Puzzled is what I was.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Originally posted by SFNE Freak
Yea...I noticed when I used iChat to receive an image the other day a few people had greyed out video icons that were Windows users.

Puzzled is what I was.

I noticed that one of my freinds had a greyed out audio icons...not sure what that is about but I know they were on Windows. I tried to click it but nothing happened. I hope this all happens before the next major release of Mac OS X. I also hope that once it does that Apple will ship the new AOL IM and the new iChat AV with iSight...thus making iSight compatible with Windows...maybe also sell a firewire to usb2 cable...similar to the iPod...though not sure USB2 can provide enought power to run iSight.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
This is good news. I was bummed out when I heard the earlier rumor that the two systems were not going to be compatible. Hopefully this is an indication of future compatibility.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Since Apple and AOL seem to be getting along so great...iTMS, iChat, AOL IM AV?...maybe further collaboration is on the horizon.

It would be GREAT if AOL began using WebCore and JavaCore...the Safari rendering engine as the basis for AOL's service...instead of IE.

AND...they could make quicktime the default player for all content on AOL.

All based on open standards and much of it open source!

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Originally posted by jholzner It would be GREAT if AOL began using WebCore and JavaCore...the Safari rendering engine as the basis for AOL's service...instead of IE.

It would, however sadly M$ stuck the ratcage on AOheL with another one of their b*** screw contracts with the devil a little over a year ago to have IeeEEEE browser "technology" in their web stuff (I'm sure that fat rat who was running AOhelL at the time got a wad of dough from Satan, aka Gates, himself). This of course odd because AOhelL bought Netscrape. The deal with the devil I recall was three years so it'd be almost another two before AOhelL could break out of the deal with Satan. It's a cool thought though.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
This is a must if Apple wants to be a leader in this area too. I mean, even with the iTMS were restricted to the Mac, we could all survive buying our music and listening to it. But withvideo conferencing, you need someone else to do that with....opening up to Windows actually makes the experience better. I hope Apple and AOL can do this, and do it fast.

Originally posted by jholzner

Many months ago, I thought I read somewhere that they were going to do this. Or maybe I am making that up. I could have sworn though.....

Edit: Not quite what i remembered, but here it is:
https://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/08/20030801130506.shtml

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
woohooo, when this happens i might consider buying an iSight, since it will be useful then.

DamnDJ

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2003
Baltimore
If indeed true, I think this will be a great thing for Apple to do. I figured Apple would stick to their guns and not provide compatibility, but "opening up" is a smart thing to do.

Glad I bought an iSight today. Although I guess I have to give up Adium. :(

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
Almost as if the gray icon signifies, "hey there is annother pc user I can't iSight with" :\

If they did design interoperability it would make it worth it for me to buy an isight.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Originally posted by dho
Almost as if the gray icon signifies, "hey there is annother pc user I can't iSight with" :\

If they did design interoperability it would make it worth it for me to buy an isight.

I would also buy an iSight. I want one now but could only video chat with 4 people on my buddy list...three of which live across town from me!

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by DamnDJ
If indeed true, I think this will be a great thing for Apple to do. I figured Apple would stick to their guns and not provide compatibility, but "opening up" is a smart thing to do.

Steve Jobs said during the WWDC 2003 Keynote where iChat AV was introduced, that since Apple was the "first one to do this" and that when others "copy what [they] do" they will "endeavor to interoperate with them and do the best for that."

I think Apple is more eager to get iChat compatible with AIM than AOl is.

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
In ordert to keep my cellphone bill under a grand I talk to my coworkers and customers on iChat for hundreds of hours a week.. unfortunately they are almost all aol users and this has kept me from buying an iSight. This would completely change everything.

But the biggest impact would be the conference calls which are a constant pain in the arse, and consume 2+ hours a day! It would be so much easier if we all had working iSights... we all hop on.. arrange a few windows and its that easy.

I hope this is true.. would make my life so much easier. easily the best thing apple has ever done as far as my business is concerned.. it is hard to explain how big of an impact this would make.

I would do a commercial for apple in a heartbeat!!

KBFinFan

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2003
Connecticut, USA
Ya, I noticed this too the other day.. it certainly would be beneficial to Apple as a company and to Mac users to allow the AIM and iChat clients to become more interconnected.

However, my one request, please allow us to have profiles on iChat... that is all.

york2600

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2002
Portland, OR
Originally posted by jholzner
Since Apple and AOL seem to be getting along so great...iTMS, iChat, AOL IM AV?...maybe further collaboration is on the horizon.

It would be GREAT if AOL began using WebCore and JavaCore...the Safari rendering engine as the basis for AOL's service...instead of IE.

All based on open standards and much of it open source!

AOL uses Mozilla. It did in the betas of the latests version at least. It ran so much faster than the crippled IE it had. It wasn't just IE. Somehow it ran worse than IE did. If that's even possible.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Originally posted by DamnDJ

Glad I bought an iSight today. Although I guess I have to give up Adium. :(

Goto http://www.myisight.com if you want to meet over 3,000 folks with iSight cams.

simply258

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2003
Bahrain
Yhe only time i would buy the iSight is when:

1) iChat is compatible with MSN Messenger

2) MSN Messenger for Mac has video capabilities

kerni

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Germany
On the right way, but...

why is AOL introducing another video format, when Apple has a superb working one? Apple has mostly no problems with Firewalls, NAT and so on. So why does Apple have to include another one? I doubt that the new AOL format will of the same quality... or is there a hope!?

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i was going to post somewhere about they faded icons. usually, the icons that show mean that the person can't talk or video right now because they're in another chat, but when i asked my friend, they weren't.

this should be great because my neighbor has a usb webcam, and most likely you will be able to use usb webcams with the windows version. then i can go out and buy the software to and use a cheap $30 webcam from wal-mart to videochat with everyone.:D

iJed

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2001
West Sussex, UK
Originally posted by simply258
Yhe only time i would buy the iSight is when:

1) iChat is compatible with MSN Messenger

I would probably buy it if iChat supported video with M$N. There is no way I'm ever going to use the abomination that is Mac M$N Messenger.

I would also like iChat to use the iTunes interface style for text chat. I just seems rather stupid that you require to open a separate window and waste screen space having a window for each chat. This is a much better approach than using a tabbed window as in something like GAIM on Linux.

Until the M$N support is added at least I will have to stick to "Fire".

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
they're not grey.
they are a faded green. they look like the ones used when people are already in a video or audiochat, but here is the one for the video.

Attachments

• my-video_down copy.jpg
    my-video_down copy.jpg
    943 bytes · Views: 3,398
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.