Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by york2600
AOL uses Mozilla. It did in the betas of the latests version at least. It ran so much faster than the crippled IE it had. It wasn't just IE. Somehow it ran worse than IE did. If that's even possible.

AOL ended up not using Mozilla's Gecko rendering engine for the Windows version of AOL (I believe the Mac version does use Gecko). They made another deal with MS (AOL icons on Windows desktop for IE in AOL) several months ago.

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by dho
Almost as if the gray icon signifies, "hey there is annother pc user I can't iSight with" :\

If they did design interoperability it would make it worth it for me to buy an isight.

Same here. problem is, im not sure how well isight will run on a 500mhz imac. i know 600 is required but will 100mhz make that big a difference?

DamnDJ

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2003
Baltimore
Re: On the right way, but...

Originally posted by kerni
why is AOL introducing another video format, when Apple has a superb working one? Apple has mostly no problems with Firewalls, NAT and so on. So why does Apple have to include another one? I doubt that the new AOL format will of the same quality... or is there a hope!?

Because it would be a pain in the butt to have to suffer more pain of two companies not giving in to the other. I'd rather Apple provide compatibility in iChat to talk to AIM video users rather than having to use two different programs for the same thing.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Originally posted by Wonder Boy
Same here. problem is, im not sure how well isight will run on a 500mhz imac. i know 600 is required but will 100mhz make that big a difference?
\
It won't work at all...my sis. has a 500mhz imac and it won't let her recieve video chats at all. Maybe there is a hack out there but I'm not sure.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Originally posted by jholzner
\
It won't work at all...my sis. has a 500mhz imac and it won't let her recieve video chats at all. Maybe there is a hack out there but I'm not sure.

i think iChatusbcam does the trick.
it's a really useful app.

alamar

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2003
Originally posted by ITR 81
Goto http://www.myisight.com if you want to meet over 3,000 folks with iSight cams.

thats a relativitly small number. The one guy I met there wanted me to fly to texas and do a pro hemp comedy show on my own dime...i don't even like pot.

At any rate. I hope that soon iChat will add MSN Messnger support, Atleast basic support w/o the games. Who is with me? I could also use some sort of plugin support so ICQ and IRC and Yahoo and whatever can be added at the customers lesurie. ESP if its going to cost money for users to buy the app. Common Apple....open the b!tch up. One chat to rule them all.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
There is now an online petition for making iChat comptible with USB/USB2 webcams. I don't think that compatibility with regular USB is a good idea. The quality sucks and it is too slow to even be useful beyond just something neat to try once. Apple has the right idea...do it right or not at all. USB2 support would be okay as long as the quality is the same. Slow jerky video chat is worthless

supercres

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
Originally posted by D0ct0rteeth
It would be so much easier if we all had working iSights... we all hop on.. arrange a few windows and its that easy.

Sadly, you can only have a single one-to-one chat going, but if a whole party could be arranged... :D :D :D

Still. Please, for the love of Jobs, let this be true.

zaphoyd

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2002
Wisconsin/Illinois
and a lot of bandwidth

remember every video stream needs to be sent to every person in the room. It might make sense for audio, but video i think would be too much bandwidth for the 256/386k upload on most residential broadband.

kerni

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Germany
Re: Re: On the right way, but...

Originally posted by DamnDJ
Because it would be a pain in the butt to have to suffer more pain of two companies not giving in to the other. I'd rather Apple provide compatibility in iChat to talk to AIM video users rather than having to use two different programs for the same thing.

I totally agree to that! I just wouldn't understand it, if AOL is developing another video conferencing system, which is a) incompatible even there is already a GOOD one and b) which might have problems working behind a firewall or NAT. I just hope at least the 2nd one will not happen and the 1st point will be better than Yahoo video and close to iChat video quality ;-)

youngr40

macrumors member
May 23, 2003
UK
AOL

Hi all

Were can one download this new AOL IM for Windows?

I wanna get on my friends windows boxes and see the greyed out icon for myself.

AOL + iCHAT together is must must must - I to would purchase a iSight just on the strength of AOL voice/video compatibility.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
here.
is this better?
(oh yeah, i have demetallizer on)

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 477

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
While their updating iChat, I hope they throw in AIM's dice-roller. I could use iChat for an online game of D&D, if only the //roll-diceX-sidesY command worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.