Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fluidinclusion

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2003
Green Bay, Wisconsin USA
Re: iSight

Originally posted by Inkmonkey
Well I certainly won't be buying an iSight until I can A/V chat with Windows users. All of my friends and family have Windows machines so this is just a sad reality.

iSight and iChat AV have no use for me unfortunately. Sure wish they did though because I love the look of them.

Agreed. I'm in the same boat. Since I just installed Panther (awesome!!!) I've got iChat AV now, but no one to use it with. No one else I know has a Mac AND Broadband - at least no one I want to iChat with.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Pardon me if someone has already pointed this out, but it sounds like a very good way to sell iSight cameras to a lot more people. Apple won't make much if any money on the software, but like the iPod the profit is in the hardware.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i dont think anything like that could happen. it's probably an old version of AIM 2.3746586 or something like that. but if anyone wants to try it, go ahead.

MacWhispers

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2003
My understanding is that serious consideration is being given at Apple to doing just as one poster here has suggested: bundling a Windows and Mac version of iChatAV in the box with the iSight web cam. However, the idea seems to be stalled until the change can coincide with (A) having a bulletproof Windows version ready, and (B) having a bulletproof OS X version ready... both events appearing to be several months into the future.

Peace. MW

anidel

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2003
iChat AV at MacWorld San Francisco

I think it's a good move. I just got my iSight and I really wish iChat AV was already on Windows.
Almost every iSight user has his family or friend running on Windows machines and many of them just hoped they could chat with them too.
I'll push my family to buy iChat AV for Windows as soon as it'll come out. Many will do the same.
What does this bring to Apple? Some money, may be some switcher.

Right now iTunes (Mac/Win) + iPod is a tremendous combination.
iChat AV + iSight could make it, but iChat as to be compatible at least with AOL Messenger or MSN Messenger on Windows (I'm speaking about Audio/Video).
If this rumor is true (and I hope so) I would probably execpt a new iChat version for Mac too. With MSN o AOL compatibility. And bundled with the iSight. That'd be terrific.
(a Windows user will never buy iChat AV just to chat with an Apple friend)

Anidel

sbrown01

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2003
KY
excellent idea

Most people are amazed by video conferencing.
I find it a pretty radical technology, something most people have only dreamed of for years.
And for Apple to continue to hold its crown as leading innovator, iChat AV needs a larger market.
iChat should be bundled with an iSight or sold for $30 to work with other FW cams.

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
MacTV

I think a Mac designed for use with your TV is a good idea. iChat AV is one application that would work very well in this setup. The unit would have to be compact and fairly powerful. An iSight would be included. Standard TV resolution would provide an experience similar to WebTV while HDTV would be more like a large computer monitor. A ring tone and flashing light on the unit could make it function similar to a video phone if coordinated with iChat AV. You would need to switch video input on your TV to your Mac and then push a key or button to receive the call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.