Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
Hello everyone,
I’m gonna try to keep this short, but I don’t understand if it’s me doing it wrong or if it’s another fine mess made in Apple.

I have an album in my iCloud photos, photos that I took on a trip.
I wanna share those photos with my partner.
There are 403 photos. They are all uploaded in iCloud, because I can see them on the Apple TV and on my Mac.

From my iPhone I created a shared album, invited her and selected the 403 photos.
Now, my phone says “preparing” or “download”, depending how I choose to add the photos into that shared album, it gets extremely hot and it takes forever. If I swipe up to go home, the process stops and restarts when I reopen photos. If I let it do it’s thing, the screen goes off (standby) and the process stops again, so I assume I am supposed to stare at it and make sure the screen doesn’t go on standby, or go into the settings and disable the screen automatic standby I guess.

Is this happening to any of you? The photos are already on the cloud, shouldn’t it be a matter of a split second to just link them to another album?
I have been trying for a month on and off in several occasions, I finally gave up because I feel like the heat that the phone generates during the preparation/download process is just gonna destroy my battery and I don’t have the time/willingness to stare at the phone to make sure it doesn’t go off.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Last edited:

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I am pretty sure that a fellow member in another thread mentioned that when you share Photos it’s designed that it downloads and uploads them again which is absolutely ridiculous but there it is.

Have you tried just uploading maybe 10 photographs at a time to see if that works?

I have a shared folder with a few hundred photographs in and videos, but they have been uploaded a few at a time over a number of years. But when I do add a few photographs, it is very very quick in all fairness.

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
So it’s apple being apple, awesome.. bunch of geniuses they are…!

Yes a few at the time works, but I don’t have the patience to do the same procedure 30 times just because they can’t release a feature that works.
Might cancel iCloud storage plan then. Unfortunately it isn’t gonna hurt them.

I am so over their useless services full of bugs..

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I use iCloud Photos a lot, and have quite a few shared albums. Sometimes it takes a little while for things to appear but overall it works quite reliably for me.

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
I tried with 40 photos at the time. It worked, still went through the preparing phase, which I really don’t understand. It should be done server side in a split second, without using battery on the device and bandwidth..
the first 40 pics synced. The second try they showed up in the shared album on my phone and nothing on her phone. Tried to reboot, tried to unsubscribe and invite again, nothing. Just not showing up.

I gave up. I can’t believe I need to ask for assistance on a forum to share photos, in 2021.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I would confidently say that what you are experiencing is most certainly not normal. iCloud photos can indeed be slow at times but I found them to be very reliable across my iPhones and iPads. I even have people saving to one of my shared libraries and that works flawlessly.

It might be worth you setting up your phones from new if you haven’t done it in awhile? I know it’s a pain in the backside but might solve the problem.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
There are reasons millions of people including iPhone users choose to go with Google Photos. I use Apple Photos and the paid tier of Google Photos and prefer Google. Just my opinion...

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
I would confidently say that what you are experiencing is most certainly not normal. iCloud photos can indeed be slow at times but I found them to be very reliable across my iPhones and iPads. I even have people saving to one of my shared libraries and that works flawlessly.

It might be worth you setting up your phones from new if you haven’t done it in awhile? I know it’s a pain in the backside but might solve the problem.
Well, I reset it when I got the iPhone 12, not long ago then.
I see there are bizarre bugs in every area of the operating systems and services so I don’t know if this is just going to be fixed with a reset or if it is something they should address.
My partner’s phone also has the same issues, I doubt we have two corrupted OS….

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.