Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
I’ve decided to move to tab groups entirely (meaning I don’t use the on-device tabs anymore).

I have a personal Focus mode that’s enabled when I’m not working. I configured the focus to use a tab group also called Personal on every device (you could configure separate tab group for each device if you don’t want the same tabs open on every one).

Then I moved all my "normal" tabs from every device to my Personal tab group (making the local group empty). It took a while, but now my iCloud tabs are empty on all devices (not that I would care since you can just turn off the iCloud Tabs section on the start page) and no more phantom tabs.

Haven’t looked back since.
Keep an eye on those. I’ve had Tab Groups get out of sync between my devices several times, too.

• Wow
Reactions: Pyrazol

MacUser0011

Suspended
Jun 18, 2023
I've had this problem for over a year now and it's only the Mac (Ventura and also previous Monterey) that generates the phantom tabs. I've tried all the suggestions from this thread.

The phantom tabs show up on my iPad and my iPhone.

Has anyone any contact with developers at Apple with this issue? I don't want to call support because they will just use hours of my time, when maybe someone else here has a support case going?

Phantom iCloud tabs

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2021
I've had this problem for over a year now and it's only the Mac (Ventura and also previous Monterey) that generates the phantom tabs. I've tried all the suggestions from this thread.

The phantom tabs show up on my iPad and my iPhone.

Has anyone any contact with developers at Apple with this issue? I don't want to call support because they will just use hours of my time, when maybe someone else here has a support case going?
I know this is going to be annoying if you've already tried it, but have you tried unchecking the "safari" option under iCloud to stop synching, agreed to DELETE the data when it prompts you, and then turned the iCloud safari option back on? What version of i(Pad)OS are you running?

MacUser0011

Suspended
Jun 18, 2023
I know this is going to be annoying if you've already tried it, but have you tried unchecking the "safari" option under iCloud to stop synching, agreed to DELETE the data when it prompts you, and then turned the iCloud safari option back on? What version of i(Pad)OS are you running?
Yes I done all that multiple times (with Monterey AND Ventura). Always running newest version of everything (I'm a computer engineer).

Phantom iCloud tabs

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2021
Yes I done all that multiple times (with Monterey AND Ventura). Always running newest version of everything (I'm a computer engineer).
You said that the phantom tabs appear on your iOS devices. You would need to do what I suggested above on those devices, the devices where the phantom tabs appear. Doing it on your Mac won't have any effect. This can be tricky, because most people's instinct is to think the problem lies with the devices that the phantom tabs supposedly belong to, but the issue is with the .db (database) files that iCloud uses to display other devices' open tabs. So if your iPhone is showing tabs that are no longer open on other devices, the problem lies with the .db files on that device. Hence the need to deselect Safari from iCloud, ensure you select "YES" when it asks to delete offline data, and then turn it back on -- on your iPhone, not the Mac.

Last edited:

MacUser0011

Suspended
Jun 18, 2023
You said that the phantom tabs appear on your iOS devices. You would need to do what I suggested above on those devices, the devices where the phantom tabs appear. Doing it on your Mac won't have any effect. This can be tricky, because most people's instinct is to think the problem lies with the devices that the phantom tabs supposedly belong to, but the issue is with the .db (database) files that iCloud uses to display other devices' open tabs. So if your iPhone is showing tabs that are no longer open on other devices, the problem lies with the .db files on that device. Hence the need to deselect Safari from iCloud, ensure you select "YES" when it asks to delete offline data, and then turn it back on -- on your iPhone, not the Mac.
Like I said now two times, I have done that many times.

MacUser0011

Suspended
Jun 18, 2023
And I tried one more time and suddenly now it's working! Perhaps the latest 16.5 update or 13.4 update made the difference? I have done this so many times before over the two years.

Reactions: Phantom iCloud tabs

Phantom iCloud tabs

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2021
And I tried one more time and suddenly now it's working! Perhaps the latest 16.5 update or 13.4 update made the difference? I have done this so many times before over the two years.
Yes, I think an update this year (iOS 16.1?) modified the behavior of the toggle so that turning off Safari iCloud syncing on an iOS/iPadOS device deletes the database file that is responsible for the ghost tabs. I wish they would implement a similar change in macOS, but progress I guess...

verdi1987

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I managed to clear my phantom tabs (again), but I also have another problem: bookmarks and reading list have stopped syncing entirely. (The last time I had phantom tabs, bookmarks and reading list also stopped syncing. However, after I fixed the phantom tabs, syncing resumed normally.)

With Advanced Data Protection off, my bookmarks and reading list are ”frozen” at a specific point in time (roughly two weeks ago when the phantom tabs appeared). No matter how many times I delete the bookmarks manually and toggle iCloud syncing for Safari (whether opting to delete the local copy or not), those same bookmarks reappear the next time I enable syncing.

I have completely logged out of iCloud on every device except my two iPhones (because re-adding all my Apple Pay cards is a pain), but I will try logging out of those later.

If I try to view deleted bookmarks on iCloud.com, it just says “loading” and after a while says there are no bookmarks.

What happens with Advanced Data Protection enabled is even more frustrating. With ADP enabled, the frozen-in-time bookmarks aren’t downloaded at all. (I get zero bookmarks.) If I try to load my bookmarks.html and then edit them, Safari reports that they are still syncing. However, syncing never finishes (or even appears to start), and Activity Monitor shows no activity for SafariBookmarksSyncAgent. Restarting the agent does nothing. I have deleted every identifiable file and keychain entry related to bookmarks and even reinstalled macOS to no avail.​

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
Running the latest iOS/iPadOS/macOS, I've had tabs from my MacBook that were stuck on other devices for weeks now.

Interestingly, the tabs stuck on the iPad were not the same as the iPhone. Short of signing out of iCloud and having to go through Apple Wallet madness, I tried everything I could think of with regard to disabling Safari iCloud sync on every device, deleting the CloudTabs.db files, and power cycling the devices before re-enabling. That would work until I relaunched Safari on the Mac, causing tabs to resend and the stuck tabs to return.

But I think I found a consistent way to clear stuck tabs from non-macOS devices. It seems like there's something in the iCloud Backup that Safari might be pulling in the stuck tabs from.

On each device showing stuck tabs, I did the following:
  1. Disable Safari iCloud sync
  2. Force quit Safari on that same device
  3. Delete the iCloud Backup from that device, which also turns off iCloud Backup for that device
  4. Power the device off, then turn back on
  5. Re-enable Safari iCloud sync, then launch Safari
  6. Wait for Safari to fully sync with iCloud (takes 1-2 minutes and might require swiping out of the app, then opening again)
  7. Note that the stuck tabs should not have reappeared
  8. Re-enable iCloud Backup and force a backup
So far, it seems to have worked. Will keep an eye on it over the coming days to see if the stuck tabs come back. I've been seeing new tabs sync from my Mac to these devices without the stuck tabs showing up, so I think I've successfully purged them.

Reactions: chris4565

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Got this problem again today where I had a stuck tab appear on my iPad. In the past this would have required doing everything including sacrificing a chicken to get it to go away, but I read that Apple fixed it so that turning off Safari in the iCloud settings now clears out the open tab list for other devices, so I tried that. Sure enough when I toggled it back on the closed tab was gone and the open tabs started syncing properly (though I had to kill the Safari app and restart it).

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I’m back to 4 devices all listing each other device with a bunch of erroneous old tabs open. I’ve tried the signing out of iCloud thing, restoring from a backup, even reinstalling macOS. Doesn’t matter. At some point one of my devices will have this issue again and it’ll only get worse. iPhone, iPad, M1 MBP, and a 2018 Intel Mac mini. All different device types and all have this issue. I’ve “resolved” it before and then it happens again…

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
This issue stopped happening to me for at least a year or two, until iOS/iPadOS 17.4 came out and was installed. I’ve now got tabs stuck across two iPhones and an iPad that were closed three days ago.

• Sad
Reactions: Pyrazol

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
iOS 17.4 changed the way syncing works. It only syncs when there are tabs open. As such it’s impossible to have all closed tabs on other devices now. I’m assuming that’s a bug.

It’s not the same syncing problem that was reported here as the next time you close Safari with tabs open, the old tabs are removed. As such, syncing “works”, but not when all tabs are closed.

I created a new thread about that since this old one is from iOS 14.

It’s also been reported elsewhere:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ios/comments/1b82vt7

Leschy

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2012
Bavaria (Germany)
Did you do anything after installing the update? I am not seeing this fixed on any of my devices.
not after, but before installing the update. I disabled Safari in the iCloud settings on all my devices (MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone), closed safari, restarted all devices, enabled Safari in the iCloud settings in all my devices again. But after I did this, the problem exists further. Then I read about the 17.4.1 updates, installed them and now everything works. so far :)

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
not after, but before installing the update. I disabled Safari in the iCloud settings on all my devices (MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone), closed safari, restarted all devices, enabled Safari in the iCloud settings in all my devices again. But after I did this, the problem exists further. Then I read about the 17.4.1 updates, installed them and now everything works. so far :)
I wonder if that will stick. So there was no macOS update today, but I just closed all tabs in Safari on Mac and it did clean up the stuck Mac tabs on my other devices.

Tried the same thing on my iPad, but no good. Other devices still show whatever was last open before closing all tabs.

Leschy

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2012
Bavaria (Germany)
I wonder if that will stick. So there was no macOS update today, but I just closed all tabs in Safari on Mac and it did clean up the stuck Mac tabs on my other devices.

Tried the same thing on my iPad, but no good. Other devices still show whatever was last open before closing all tabs.
I had the problem only on my iPhone. between Macbook and iPad everything worked fine, also before the update.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
Odd. I’ve been seeing it across every device. And it misbehaves the exact same way. Seeing the Mac’s tabs actually get cleared was the first time I’ve had any one of my device’s tabs all gone since 17.4 came out.

Leschy

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2012
Bavaria (Germany)
Odd. I’ve been seeing it across every device. And it misbehaves the exact same way. Seeing the Mac’s tabs actually get cleared was the first time I’ve had any one of my device’s tabs all gone since 17.4 came out.
maybe you'll try to disable / enable Safari in the iCloud settings with a restart after you've installed the 17.4.1 updates?

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Not fixed for me at all. I've got 4 devices and none of them can sync Bookmarks or Safari Reading List...

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
I have it all tabs close but on my iPhone is says macOS has a tab open and everyone I close it even tho it’s not open it just comes back so annoying

gearboxsg

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2020
I have it all tabs close but on my iPhone is says macOS has a tab open and everyone I close it even tho it’s not open it just comes back so annoying
yeah it's like this all over my devices.. lots of phantom tabs all over. I used to be able to resolve it by signing out of icloud and back in but now this doesn't even fix it for long. it happens again within a week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.