Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Hello,

I am bringing the news that IconChamp 1.0.1 is released to the public. Previously available via macEnhance's Discord server.

There's currently not any other application on the market that does what IconChamp does with System Integrity Protection still being enabled. That way IconChamp allowing for more people to get their most beloved icon set back on their modern macOS' - this includes, application icons, folder icons and drive icons. It's all possible now with IconChamp.

IconChamp
is described on the author's website like so:

The only Icon theming app for Big Sur and Monterey!

IconChamp lets you change icons on macOS quickly and easily. Setting a new icon is as easy as drag, drop and apply. You can customize individual icons or create themes which let you quickly apply a set of icons all at once.

IconChamp differentiates itself from other Icon theming apps because it's the only app on the market that lets you theme system items on Big Sur and Monterey. It also lets you theme System Items while keeping System Integrity Protection enabled.

IconChamp can keep your app icons updated after system or app updates so icons are set it and forget it.

Head on over to
macEnhance for more information

Also read the FAQ should you have more questions.

Last edited:

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
It's too bad the FAQ doesn't tell us what the difference is between the Free version and the Pro.
Oh, that's a huge disadvantage.
I can't believe that's not there to be honest. Would be easy to type that out, but here's a screenshot of the differences.
iconchamp-pro.jpg

swooned

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2014
It's too bad the FAQ doesn't tell us what the difference is between the Free version and the Pro.
The short story is IC free does what every other app that says can change any icon, without pointing out the differences. The point of IC paid is to actually do what others ignore to specify.

Macenhance are very solid in the products they make, my goto being cDock. Anyway. I'm happy someone honest now has developed something to change the UI that Apple lock up for no reason. Apple should just chill an make changing icons across all levels accessible.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Good question. I'll ask the author

No response from the author..
I didn't look for that when buying.. I think limits are stated somewhere when purchasing.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrooklynAl

Lyvian

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2021
France
Hello, (google translate translation from French, my apologies) here is my feedback on this very promising utility ...

I bought a license at the beginning of April 2021 for version 0.5.1: in return, I received a download link for the cDock utility! ... It didn't start well! ... I have since installed the very last version of November (1.0.1) taking the precaution to remove all traces (system files and other caches ...) of previous versions for a “clean” installation.

The functions of IconChamp are very appreciable, because I find the design of the icons of mac OS Big Sur perfectible and little to my taste in fact. Unfortunately, on my configuration (see below), the utility is not stable. I just have to turn off my external screen and turn it on again for some icons to resume their original look. When starting a session, folder icons often revert to their original design. And quitting Safari causes it to lose its personalized icon.

Obviously there are much more important things going on in the world right now, but it's a shame that this editor hasn't consolidated their utility better to make it work flawlessly. In addition, that I have sent several messages without ever having received any feedback from him. Really too bad, but hey ...

Another thing, I noticed that IconChamp creates a system folder (/ Users / Shared / IconChamp) of an inordinate size. On my mac, it could have weighed up to 1.9 GB! ...

I hope that macenhance will continue to work on its utility, because unfortunately mac OS is more and more closed to all customizations. In any case, congratulations to this editor for having found a trick to bypass the system. Bravo again! ...

My config: Mac Mini M1 16GB - BenQ PD2700U UHD 4K screen connected to HDMI - mac OS Big Sur 11.6.2

Lukeit

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Shanghai, China
View attachment 1929843 View attachment 1929844
This is what I had to deal with because of this app. Missing Icons and a total restore.
Hi all... I am an Iconchamp Pro user, I have had and still have this problem and whenever I try to change system folder icon, after I try to apply the new icon, there is an empty "icon" instead fo the folder icon... only possible way is to revert to get the folder icons back. I have tried to reach in any possible way Macenhance people, support and any other possible "department", but to no avail: many many messages and emails all dropped in silence without any feedback.
I'm quite disappointed as when they were about to launch the app and they were in beta stage, they were very available and one single message got their reply. To this point this app, though promising, is basically useless: if I want to change icons I need to go one by one as the app is not working properly at all. If you guys have any possible turnaround or solution, you are most welcome. I have tried the shortcuts to clean the icon cache, but it leads to apple store shortcut app... any tip on how to import it into shortcuts app on Mac?
Many thanks to you all.

Lyvian

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2021
France
@ Lukeit

Hello, and sorry that this utility does not work correctly for you as I have seen on my configuration (see above in my previous post). And even more annoyed that you also have no feedback from Macenhance support: it's quite tiring, even unbearable. But OK !...

For me concerning the icons of the system files, I created a specific Theme which I apply when the old designs of the icons return to their original state. As for the new icons, I created them myself (Illustrator, Affinity Designer and IconFly) and they are saved in .icns format I took great care to name these replacement icons identically to macOS in English. Besides, all my other icons are named very precisely identical to the originals...

Well, I hope these details help you. I can also suggest that you completely uninstall ALL the files generated by IconChamp, because I understand that you had installed the previous beta versions. For me, this cleanup brought some stability to IconChamp.

NB: I did not understand your reference to shortcuts and the Apple Store!...

Lukeit

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Shanghai, China
@ Lukeit

Hello, and sorry that this utility does not work correctly for you as I have seen on my configuration (see above in my previous post). And even more annoyed that you also have no feedback from Macenhance support: it's quite tiring, even unbearable. But OK !...

For me concerning the icons of the system files, I created a specific Theme which I apply when the old designs of the icons return to their original state. As for the new icons, I created them myself (Illustrator, Affinity Designer and IconFly) and they are saved in .icns format I took great care to name these replacement icons identically to macOS in English. Besides, all my other icons are named very precisely identical to the originals...

Well, I hope these details help you. I can also suggest that you completely uninstall ALL the files generated by IconChamp, because I understand that you had installed the previous beta versions. For me, this cleanup brought some stability to IconChamp.

NB: I did not understand your reference to shortcuts and the Apple Store!...
Thanks very much for your help! Really appreciated... as for the Shortcut to clean the icon cache, I was referring to a previous post from iSuperuser whom has posted a link in his message, pointing to a shortcut app automation (I think) to clean the icon cache.
I was asking for Macenhance support because even clean uninstalling of iconchamp does not remove the problem when applying a change to system folders... if I try to customise, it simply does not work and system folder icons are gone and there is an empty invisible icons instead...
Hope MacEnhance will eventually provide some help.

Thanks very much for your help nonetheless.

Lyvian

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2021
France
@ Lukeit

I venture to think that Macenhance found a trick to bypass the macOS system icon cache by overriding its own cache.

Without insisting, in IconChamp run the command “Reset All Icons”, quit IconChamp, kill the background process “com.macenhance.ICHelper”, delete all traces of the utility and all user files of IconChamp, empty the Recycle Bin, restart your machine, check again that there are still no IconChamp files left, then reinstall IconChamp in its latest version (1.0.1)...

With a bit of luck, maybe it will will prove useful and effective...

Lukeit

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Shanghai, China
@ Lukeit

I venture to think that Macenhance found a trick to bypass the macOS system icon cache by overriding its own cache.

Without insisting, in IconChamp run the command “Reset All Icons”, quit IconChamp, kill the background process “com.macenhance.ICHelper”, delete all traces of the utility and all user files of IconChamp, empty the Recycle Bin, restart your machine, check again that there are still no IconChamp files left, then reinstall IconChamp in its latest version (1.0.1)...

With a bit of luck, maybe it will will prove useful and effective...
I'm happy to report that now all seems to work again and customisation is working again... cross fingers and thanks for your tips!

Kimcha

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
I’d like to request a feature: the ability to add icons to non-default folders in the finder sidebar.

This was possible many, many years ago before the redesign that made all the sidebars monotone.

If you add this feature, your app will become an instant-buy for me.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I’d like to request a feature: the ability to add icons to non-default folders in the finder sidebar.

This was possible many, many years ago before the redesign that made all the sidebars monotone.

If you add this feature, your app will become an instant-buy for me.
It's a good idea you had there

It's better to direct those app-suggestions to the developers of IconChamp over at www.macenhance.com or their Discord server.

I'm sure they are happy to help.

Lyvian

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2021
France
@Kimcha, about the ability to add icons to non-default folders in the Finder sidebar.

Since mac OS Catalina, the vast majority of icons present in the interfaces of Finder, Mail, Calendar, Safari, etc. are no longer bitmap images, but vector icons, very easy to colorize according to the color theme chosen by the user (including Light and Dark appearance modes) and easily scalable. This lightens the system in terms of resources. These icons are moreover very “basic line” illustrations.

So, I have the feeling that adding these own designs is definitively refused, even prohibited by Apple (which less and less does not want us to “touch” ITS system).

If a future utility allowed this feature, then the user will have to take good care of the graphics so that it matches the existing one... Very interesting approach anyway (I agree 100%).

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I'll suggest the custom sidebar icons to the developers on the macEnhance Discord server. If anyone disagrees with me doing so, then holla back within the next 2 minutes.

Lyvian

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2021
France
I'll suggest the custom sidebar icons to the developers on the macEnhance Discord server. If anyone disagrees with me doing so, then holla back within the next 2 minutes.
Oh!... Sorry, but I didn't understand your post and I apologize. Sorry !...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.