Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I use Appcleaner and it works pretty neatly!
AppCleaner also just recently got an update. Text in bold is my emphasis.
AppCleaner 3.6.3 - Feb 16, 2022
• Fixed a last minute bug that made its way into the previous release.
AppCleaner 3.6.2 - Feb 16, 2022
• Apps are finally properly sorted by name.
Improved search engine.
• Minor cosmetic fixes.

• Love
Reactions: SigEp265

Lyvian

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2021
France
Hello, I believe I found why iConChamp was not working properly on my Mac. Well, I think I know...
I always install LittleSnitch on my machines and I realized that the “in.appcenter.ms” service was blocked in one of my general rules. By unblocking it, iConChamp has now apparently regained more stability. I will confirm in a few days here if the situation has stabilized. ;)

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Wait is that the app search or like embedded web browser?
Just their app search algorithm that's been modified is my best guess. Not an embedded web browser. The AppCleaner developer could have taken on a different method for catching files left over by apps. That's what I gather from Improved search engine
:)

Lyvian

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2021
France
Hi, I thought I found why iConChamp was not working properly on my Mac running Big Sur with the "in.appcenter.ms" service crashing under Little Snitch. But no, it wasn't that.
I have since done a clean install with the very latest version of Monterey (v12.3.1) and iConChamp works perfectly now. There is just the Finder icon which returns to its initial design when during a session I turn off my external screen connected to my Mac Mini M1 via HDMI, but when opening a new session, I find all my custom icons...

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
Is there anything special I need to do to get IconChamp to work? I've unzipped the file and moved the application over to the Application folder but when I double-click the app it just puts up the spinning beachball of death and Force Quit shows it as "Not Responding". Installed in macOS Monterey 12.3.1.

Lyvian

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2021
France
@rpmurray

The copy of your iConChamp application no longer seems to have the correct rights.

You can restore rights to the application by performing this very simple manipulation:
Open the “Terminal” application.
Type the following code:
xattr -cr
Then hit the “Space” key to add a space after the previous code entered
Move the iConChamp icon right after the “Space” you just typed
Finally, validate by pressing the “Enter” key
Try again to launch iConChamp after this manipulation...

Otherwise, you can still download iConChamp from the publisher's site.

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
The copy of your iConChamp application no longer seems to have the correct rights.
Tried your suggestion and get the same result. Re-downloaded the app and the same result.

None of my other applications behave like this. I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

By the way, the same thing happens with BootBuddy.

Update: Do I need to turn off SIP to use these apps? The website doesn't say to like it does for some of the other apps on the site.

Last edited:

Lyvian

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2021
France
@rpmurray
iConChamp is only compatible with Big Sur and Monterey.
Disabling SIP is not required.
I don't know “Boot Buddy”.
Try running the free and very safe “Onyx” utility to clean your system...

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
I don't know “Boot Buddy”.
BootBuddy is an application from the same developer.

My system is relatively clean since I only set it up on the iMac a few days ago and did a clean install of Monterey, it's on a refurb I just received from Apple. I'll give Onyx a try. I already have it downloaded and strangely enough it works and doesn't give me the same problem as IconChamp.

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
I think I found the problem. It appears that you have to wait around for about a minute for the application to finish initializing before you can actually do anything with it. I assumed that the spinning beachball meant it was locked up and had been force quitting it. But this last time I just continued to let it run while I was surfing the web and it finally came up. I seems to do this every time you start it up so it's not some kind of setup it's doing on first install.

Ninkas89

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2022
Hi

Does anyone know where to get themes for icon champ, or how to create them and in what format they should be saved?

burrzoo

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
Hi

Does anyone know where to get themes for icon champ, or how to create them and in what format they should be saved?
Take a look at DeviantArt
Do a search for MacOS Icons. You could also look for iOS Icons or Android Theme Icons.

Also this site.

Last edited:

Lyvian

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2021
France
By chance, I was researching IconChamp, the utility having not been updated since April 2021... and I came across the Github of Jeremy Legendre, one of the founders of macEnhance.
The programmer seems to continue the development of IconChamp: it is a very good thing.

https://github.com/jslegendre/appcast/tree/master/IconChamp

The latest version (1.2.2) is a few days old. It works perfectly on my Mac (macOS Ventura 13.3.1(a) - Mac Mini M1 16GB). The Safari icon is taken into account, but the Finder icon is ignored and therefore cannot be customized.
Of course, the pro license is fully recognized with version 1.2.2: all functions are therefore available.

Reactions: Diskutant

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
By chance, I was researching IconChamp, the utility having not been updated since April 2021... and I came across the Github of Jeremy Legendre, one of the founders of macEnhance.
The programmer seems to continue the development of IconChamp: it is a very good thing.

https://github.com/jslegendre/appcast/tree/master/IconChamp

The latest version (1.2.2) is a few days old. It works perfectly on my Mac (macOS Ventura 13.3.1(a) - Mac Mini M1 16GB). The Safari icon is taken into account, but the Finder icon is ignored and therefore cannot be customized.
Of course, the pro license is fully recognized with version 1.2.2: all functions are therefore available.

Jeremy Legendre seems to be part of the MacEnhance Team. He is listed on the about us page: https://www.macenhance.com/about.html

I wonder why those versions are not made more public. Currently the version is 1.3.5-9. There is a changelog.md inside the .app Package, but that only goes up to version 0.5.5. So no word on what got changed/updated/fixed.

I wonder if I should by the App and use that version. But the silence on their page and everything isn't very reassuring.

Lyvian

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2021
France
If you go to the official IconChamp page:

...and click on the 1.0.1 button, you will actually download version 1.3.6 of the September 23, 2023.

This version is functional on my Mac Mini M1 Ventura 13.6.3
The only limitation I noticed was still the inability to change the Finder icon.

Reactions: Diskutant

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
If you go to the official IconChamp page:

...and click on the 1.0.1 button, you will actually download version 1.3.6 of the September 23, 2023.

This version is functional on my Mac Mini M1 Ventura 13.6.3
The only limitation I noticed was still the inability to change the Finder icon.
Interesting! I downloaded that version, and in there is a changelog.md file which has the same content up to version 0.5.5 but then also lists changes for version 1.3.5 and 1.3.6:

### 1.3.6 - Fix crash on Intel Macs ### 1.3.5 - Improved support for macOS Ventura and Sonoma - Add support for theming icons in System Settings - Fix alias indicators not showing for themed system icons - Improve theme persistence between restarts and OS updates - Add "Force Re-Apply Icon" option to right-click menu - Ensure correct icon is generated for current appearance - Bug fixes and enhancements

That looks good. Now if I can find some good high quality non-flat non-minimalistic icons, I'm happy again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.