Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
Some people say that mbp 16 display is amazing and built for its purpose. Sorry but this display has one of the worst on planet about pixel response time and feels terrible when scrolling. How can you accept this worst pixel response time??? How can you feel good with the knowledge of this issue and happy with your mbp 16 inch. how do you feel when you scroll on a web page and notice that texts and images get crazy blurry???

on the other hand

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple...The-best-MacBook-you-can-get-No.460229.0.html
so according to these numbers about pixel response time, i think there are 2 reasons to feel shame for the mbp 16.

1) one of the worst laptop on slow pixel response time on planet (terrible display)

2) a lower state model (MacBook air) has beter display than the premium MacBook Pro 16

Last edited:

DieBeachballDie

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2015
We MUST be looking at different machines here. Maybe there is something to the screen lottery... but mine (2019 16" i9) is goddamn brilliant. In every conceivable way superior to my 2012 iMac's screen, or certainly any MBA's screen i tried... in terms of how it moves. I can see the cursor move as well as any other machine i've seen, and i can read scrolling just fine. No ghosting, even looking for it. Only watched a couple short videos so far, but both were HD, and even if i were looking for something to bitch about... i couldn't find it.

After spending a week researching 4K TV's i'm starting to think this whole '60Ghz is garbage' mindset is a bit lost. By that reasoning EVERY 4K TV on the market, regardless of price, that is under 50" is garbage too? Because far as i saw, there were no 43" or 49" screens with better. Maybe i'm still a noob, but some of them sure looked good in the store...

Yeah, some of these threads had me worried... but i bought anyways. Glad i did.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The fact that many love the laptop and are happy with it doesn't change its screen.
I'm not defending or justifying apple's choices or the quality, but rather pointing out that if the OP doesn't like the machine then he's free to not buy it. There are many people who have zero complaints with the display and love their MBP.

garrel

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2019
I'm not defending or justifying apple's choices or the quality, but rather pointing out that if the OP doesn't like the machine then he's free to not buy it. There are many people who have zero complaints with the display and love their MBP.
Maybe OP already bought it and found himself disappointed... I just try not to assume anything. And I'm sure many people had zero complaints with the display, but as i said this screen's slow response time is an undeniable fact.
The screen may be good for its brightness, color accuracy and other things. ..

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
I will say I've seen a few of these displays and some do seem legitimately better than others. But generally, there does seem to be a push and pull between quality/color accuracy and response time. Apple chose to focus on the former, and for some users that was the right call. They'll probably try to strike a better balance with the next version of the display.

I think mine looks brilliant for whatever it's worth. I actually see less streaking when scrolling in dark mode than I see on the 120 hz iPad Pro.

garrel

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2019
I will say I've seen a few of these displays and some do seem legitimately better than others. But generally, there does seem to be a push and pull between quality/color accuracy and response time. Apple chose to focus on the former, and for some users that was the right call. They'll probably try to strike a better balance with the next version of the display.

Exactly.

Anyway the ghosting in mbp16 is unbelievable to some, just take that in account.

Last edited by a moderator:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The 16” has top-notch color accuracy and brightness. It’s pixel response rate is consistent with most other high-res 15” panels that are currently shipping. No, it’s not a fast display. If you want gaming grade response times, buy a gaming optimized laptop with lower resolution, contrast, brightness and color accuracy. Can‘t have it all unfortunately.

Bottom line: OP is exaggerating in extreme and their complaint doesn’t make much sense critically. MBP pixel response rate was always below average - as is the case with any high-end LCD

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The 16” has top-notch color accuracy and brightness. It’s pixel response rate is consistent with most other high-res 15” panels that are currently shipping. No, it’s not a fast display. If you want gaming grade response times, buy a gaming optimized laptop with lower resolution, contrast, brightness and color accuracy. Can‘t have it all unfortunately.

Bottom line: OP is exaggerating in extreme and their complaint doesn’t make much sense critically. MBP pixel response rate was always below average - as is the case with any high-end LCD
All of this. Also, if you want a gaming machine, why would you by a MacBook Pro? I mean, a good gaming rig should run Windows, no?

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
All of this. Also, if you want a gaming machine, why would you by a MacBook Pro? I mean, a good gaming rig should run Windows, no?
Is this what the OP is whining about ?

Gaming use ?

I don't game so I would not know.
My MBP 16" is almost perfect - display is on par with the 2015 MBP i7 I currently have...

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2019
The 16" has a better display than my previous Macs (13" 2011 mbp and 2013 mba) so it looks great to me. I'm typing on my 2013 MacBook Air right now and it looks pixelated in comparison, almost blurry.

The 16" is a huge step up from either of these older MacBooks I'm used to. So I just don't see the problem. I guess those of you complaining must be coming from much better displays to the 16".

To me it looks very sharp, photos look awesome, video looks great, and I've never noticed the ghosting thing everybody complains about.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I'm using it in clamshell mode for most of the day but when I use it as a laptop the displays feels good, I haven't noticed any big differences from my old 15'' MBP from 2016.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Is this what the OP is whining about ?

Gaming use ?

I'd assume this, since fast pixel response time is mostly relevant for gamers. Office and productivity users usually don't care about it (which is also why it's normal to have 50ms response times for higher-end workstation-grade panels).

Reactions: archi_130w1

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
Worst display on the planet? Really? How do you expect to be taken seriously with statements like that? Don't like it, DON'T buy it. It's been out for months and yours is one of the few complaints about it.

i have noticed this problem very late so i can not take my money back

• Sad
Reactions: jbachandouris

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I am sorry. You only noticed the problem that the display is not good very late??? You did not turn the computer on when you got it?

Sometimes people actually read about a problem and convince themselves they also have the problem when they dissect the machine and look for it.

Maybe not the case here, but it is like a test group of people given medications/placebos in a study.

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
I am sorry. You only noticed the problem that the display is not good very late??? You did not turn the computer on when you got it?

at first i suspected the problem but the primary problem was coil wine for me. so i was trying to understand is this common or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.