Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hemon

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2014
No need to. Perfectly happy. Maybe you should feel sorry for yourself.

There are MANY phones which sounds MUCH better than the iPhone.

If you really think that "if you care about Audio You ONLY buy an iPhone" I have to think that you are just a victim of Apple’s ideology; as such you cannot free yourself, you cannot accept others opinions. That's because I feel sorry for you.

Reactions: Coffee_Time

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
If you really care about audio, you’re using one specific Android phone, using high end headphones, and paying for Tidal Music that is soon going to have master level quality for Android. There are arguments possible for why Android is better for audio, it has little to do with Bluetooth codecs.

Everyone here should have fun with their LG V30 with their expensive headphones and 20$ a month Tidal subscriptions. Otherwise, are you even real audiophiles?

boodle

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2004
There are arguments possible for why Android is better for audio, it has little to do with Bluetooth codecs.

Not many because Android's timing is still trash and hardware differences between manufacturers have significant impact. There's a reason all of the best OSC/Audio/MIDI apps are built for iOS.

If you want great audio playback performance out of a phone get a good portable wired DAC/amp like the iFi xDSD and some real headphones/IEMs. If you want to stream your music get Tidal HiFi, Qobuz, or Deezer HiFi.

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
A tad disappointed I'm the DAC in my P20. I have an iPad to reference. Liking Android for the change and I know what I'm doing. I have purchased a headphone amp. Fiio. We shall see.

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017
Lg g7 plus hifi quad dac rockin here.
Yes, you don't buy an iphone. You go either for sony or lg. Had them both and lg is milestone ahead of sony and light years ahead of apple and others. Period.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Anyone else using an EarStudio ES100? It's a $99 DAC/Amp. It blows me away at how much DAC I got for under $100! It's not going to impress anyone who's already using high end DACs, but it completely redefines what an entry level DAC can do.

The only drawbacks are that the interface is awful and it feels like its so cheap that if you grip it too tight it might just crumple like styrofoam.
81k9wqcyQtL._SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: Cassady and boodle

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
These are appealing, but seeing as I’ve gone Bluetooth now, & via the lowly Airpods, I won’t hear anything near the quality these DACs provide.

But do we think Bluetooth 5 will bridge the gap at all?

hemon

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2014
Anyone else using an EarStudio ES100? It's a $99 DAC/Amp. It blows me away at how much DAC I got for under $100! It's not going to impress anyone who's already using high end DACs, but it completely redefines what an entry level DAC can do.

The only drawbacks are that the interface is awful and it feels like its so cheap that if you grip it too tight it might just crumple like styrofoam.
81k9wqcyQtL._SL1500_.jpg

Reviews say that the Hidizs Sonata HD DAC sounds better than that... and is much cheaper.
[doublepost=1547617365][/doublepost]
Lg g7 plus hifi quad dac rockin here.
Yes, you don't buy an iphone. You go either for sony or lg. Had them both and lg is milestone ahead of sony and light years ahead of apple and others. Period.

Please, don't exaggerate!

I testet the LG V30 and there was not such a big difference with the iPhone. It was almost the same. The HTC 10 was noticeably and the Samsung S9 a bit better. The Sony uses a DAC adapter which you could use everywhere.

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
Well the Fiio E10K didn't work as expected. Save yourself a mistake if you want a phone DAC... It requires USB power so its for the laptop etc only. Unless you wan't to drain your phone battery dam fast.

If you want it for home critical listening i'll say this... Its worth it. I did some critical listening and Eminem's Stan... did you hear the window wipers of the car? Mic drop.

boodle

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2004
These are appealing, but seeing as I’ve gone Bluetooth now, & via the lowly Airpods, I won’t hear anything near the quality these DACs provide.
But do we think Bluetooth 5 will bridge the gap at all?
I use AirPods for phone calls and podcasts, that's about it.
Bluetooth 5 offers no improvements for audio quality, sadly.

I find that a DAC/amp with a good Bluetooth AAC implementation is pretty darn great when I don't want to do the full wired setup. It's also fantastic for watching movies on the Apple TV when external volume is an issue.
[doublepost=1547839151][/doublepost]
Well the Fiio E10K didn't work as expected. Save yourself a mistake if you want a phone DAC... It requires USB power so its for the laptop etc only. Unless you wan't to drain your phone battery dam fast.
This is true for all iOS devices; the lightning port cannot provide power to a DAC, only low-power peripherals.

Reactions: iSheep5S

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Reviews say that the Hidizs Sonata HD DAC sounds better than that... and is much cheaper.

Do you remember where you saw the reviews? I'm skeptical that something that cheap could sound better than the ES100 (which is already mind boggling cheap to me) but even if it only comes close, I'd be interested in getting it for my MBP's line out to my desktop speakers. I currently have an old Audioengine D1 DAC/Amp hooked up there.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I find that a DAC/amp with a good Bluetooth AAC implementation is pretty darn great when I don't want to do the full wired setup.
Oh, so you’re saying Airpods users can also benefit from a quality DAC?

Any Bluetooth-featured recommendations?

hemon

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2014
Do you remember where you saw the reviews? I'm skeptical that something that cheap could sound better than the ES100 (which is already mind boggling cheap to me) but even if it only comes close, I'd be interested in getting it for my MBP's line out to my desktop speakers. I currently have an old Audioengine D1 DAC/Amp hooked up there.

Sorry I don't know where I read that but I searched for that explicit and I came to this result...

archy141

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2014
Haha and I thought Android owners had fanboyism issues.

I have an iPhone XS MAX to use as a smartphone and an LG V30 as a dedicated DAP.

XS phone because I like the finesse of IOS and more importantly believe Apple to be the lesser evil when privacy is concerned.

LG V30 because I get to appreciate my audiophile IEM’s using the 3.5mm jack,
I can run my 600OHM headphones
I can listen to Tidal MQA upto 24/192 (and it’s glorious).

And now to BT and wireless audio.
Apple are really screwing up here and you fanboys need to keep things real. There is no need to be blind loyal and defend a corporation because you purchased their product. They made a profit out of you.

On the one hand Apple are pushing for Wireless earphones by trashing the 3.5mm jack and at the same time they are not providing support for better lossless codec and instead sticking with legacy offerings.

The audiophile world is becoming Bigger by the day. More people than ever are buying DACs, audiophile earphones and subscribing to services that offer lossless Audio .. Deezer, Spotify (Beta), Tidal, QoBuzz. Than of course there is the option of locally stored lossless files including DSD.

Do you not think the people with extra cash want to than be able to hear full lossless quality audio that they paid for ??

Forget the lies and lame excuses that BT can’t do lossless justice by Apple apologists.

With the right codec - particularly LDAC that the LG V30 supports you can appreciate upto 24/96 HiRes level audio and its practically indistinguishable from a wired solution.

Try it and you will become an instant believer in BT LDAC if you are an audiophile lover. With LDAC all the lossless files and services can be fully appreciated.
Even though i have the LG V30 with a 3.5mm jack, I don't use it as much anymore as I can conveniently use BT instead without loss in sound quality.

A tiny unit like the previously mentioned ES100 or FIIO BT3 can turn any headphones into AAC/APTX/LDAC receivers for very little cash.
Shame than you can’t do anything with the iPhone to turn it into a great BT transmitter for audio.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coffee_Time

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The thread continues to be where supposed audiophiles can overstate how important audiophiles are.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
They are as they invest lot of extra money into the industry.

You are way too blind pro Apple beyond reason when it comes to wireless audio.

Sure thing buddy. It isn't that most people are listening to audio from a source isn't lossless. It's that I'm an apologist for Apple that's using ...

A Note 9.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.