Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Sure. Very transparent right from the beginning.

Screenshot_20190121-182122_Chrome Dev.jpg

You were saying?

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
On the one hand Apple are pushing for Wireless earphones by trashing the 3.5mm jack and at the same time they are not providing support for better lossless codec and instead sticking with legacy offerings.

Apple do need to up their lossless audio game I agree.

& I want my Airpods (& many other similar Bluetooth options) to make good use of that lossless codec.

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
I miss the days when I plugged my Earpods into my laptop and browsed. Be it sites and Spotify in the background or YouTube etc. When I was out I used Sony EX110's for noise cancelling and in my last job for music to stem boredom.

Now? I'm a audiophile in the making whatever that is. I have Tiidal, obsess over lossless audio with studio headphones, (no not beats studio. I now know the difference) through a decent DAC at 24/96?

I'm lost in the music obsessing over a bit I heard in my other headphones that isn't in these ones.

Such fun and its more gear than just enjoying the (insert swear word) music.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I miss the days when I plugged my Earpods into my laptop and browsed. Be it sites and Spotify in the background or YouTube etc. When I was out I used Sony EX110's for noise cancelling and in my last job for music to stem boredom.

Now? I'm a audiophile in the making whatever that is. I have Tiidal, obsess over lossless audio with studio headphones, (no not beats studio. I now know the difference) through a decent DAC at 24/96?

I'm lost in the music obsessing over a bit I heard in my other headphones that isn't in these ones.

That doesn’t sound like fun at all. Glad I’m just a pleb I guess.

Reactions: iSheep5S

boodle

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2004
Oh, so you’re saying Airpods users can also benefit from a quality DAC
No, AirPods users would not benefit from an additional DAC.
[doublepost=1549038727][/doublepost]

Isn't it great fun to mock people enjoying their hobby? It makes me feel important and smart but I'm not, really, I'm just yucking someone else's yum!

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
No, AirPods users would not benefit from an additional DAC.
[doublepost=1549038727][/doublepost]

Isn't it great fun to mock people enjoying their hobby? It makes me feel important and smart but I'm not, really, I'm just yucking someone else's yum!

Its my current mental illness. :)

boodle

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2004
Its my current mental illness. :)
Please accept my apologies, I didn't see your sig and thought you were being sarcastic instead of self-deprecating. :) I, too, am afflicted and can't wait for Monday when my new Focal headphones and HEM8 IEMs arrive.

Reactions: iSheep5S

boodle

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2004
Hope v2 will get an audio quality boost then.
I doubt the upcoming revision will offer much additional quality but I hope so, too. Non-isolating earbuds like the AirPods can only be pushed so far; you need real IEMs for good sound quality. The strengths of the AirPods will remain connection speed, ease of use, reliability, and phone call clarity for the foreseeable future.

I don't expect Apple to ever produce true IEMs but I can see some innovative pro headphones showing up.
It's unlikely they'll go after the ANC business traveller market anytime soon.
The Beats brand remain an embarrassment but it has its niche; hopefully it'll improve.

Reactions: Ralfi

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017
LG G7 with Sony Wh-1000xm3
[doublepost=1550529786][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1550530053][/doublepost]
So Steve Jobs was a self admitted audiophile. I am still a novice but iPhone and before IPhone iPod, started and audio revolution in this country. A thousand songs in your pocket. And the ability to rip CDs at a high bit depth.
Today it’s all about “streaming” audio and Bluetooth. Which is ok.

But what about Audio quality ? Well since iPhone does not support aptXHD or LDAC at bitrates of 990kbps
IPhone is stuck with SBC at 345kbps

So I have to stay with Android Oreo 8.1 and 8.0 which support both aptXHD owned by Qualcomm so Apple will never embrace it. And LDAC owned by SONY which was included in Android Oreo 8.0.
[doublepost=1550530325][/doublepost]
If you care about Audio You ONLY buy an iPhone.
Nice joke dude. :D:D:D:D:D

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-02-19-00-32-54.png
    Screenshot_2019-02-19-00-32-54.png
    397 KB · Views: 309
  • Screenshot_2019-02-19-00-33-32.png
    Screenshot_2019-02-19-00-33-32.png
    148.9 KB · Views: 324
  • Screenshot_2019-02-19-00-34-20.png
    Screenshot_2019-02-19-00-34-20.png
    474.4 KB · Views: 336
  • Screenshot_2019-02-19-00-34-44.png
    Screenshot_2019-02-19-00-34-44.png
    392.3 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:

hemon

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2014
Anyway… I tried personally the LG V30, Samsung S8, S9, Oppo HA-2SE, Chord Mojo, Spectra NextDrive X, Sonata HDII and the Sony-NWZ300 and compared to the iPhone with my high-end IEM: I did not noticed such a big difference. In other words: the differences between all of them are so minimal that for me it is just not worth to use a dedicated DAP, DAC or another phone for music instead of the iPhone. So, stop saying categorically the iPhone is not good for music!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ralfi

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Anyway… I tried personally the LG V30, Samsung S8, S9, Oppo HA-2SE, Chord Mojo, Spectra NextDrive X, Sonata HDII and the Sony-NWZ300 and compared to the iPhone with my high-end IEM: I did not noticed such a big difference. In other words: the differences between all of them are so minimal that for me it is just not worth to use a dedicated DAP, DAC or another phone for music instead of the iPhone. So, stop saying the iPhone is not good for music!

What headphones did you use?

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017
Anyway… I tried personally the LG V30, Samsung S8, S9, Oppo HA-2SE, Chord Mojo, Spectra NextDrive X, Sonata HDII and the Sony-NWZ300 and compared to the iPhone with my high-end IEM: I did not noticed such a big difference. In other words: the differences between all of them are so minimal that for me it is just not worth to use a dedicated DAP, DAC or another phone for music instead of the iPhone. So, stop saying categorically the iPhone is not good for music!

Defending iphones. Hmmm
1. You are a bit off topic, this thread discussion is for wireless audio. I bet you don't know what ldac or aptx is. You cant know if you have an iphone.
2.HQ music/audio.. Hm .. Heat I also bet you don't have an ideea what is that. Skipping your reply, let me give you the answer. Like for kids, answer: 2 minutes of high quality audio file has 1GB my friend.
3. Coming back to wired audio... Hmmm does the mighty iphones have a 32 bit quad dac? :))))) ... Don't bother to reply, please!

hemon

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2014
Defending iphones. Hmmm
1. You are a bit off topic, this thread discussion is for wireless audio. I bet you don't know what ldac or aptx is. You cant know if you have an iphone.
2.HQ music/audio.. Hm .. Heat I also bet you don't have an ideea what is that. Skipping your reply, let me give you the answer. Like for kids, answer: 2 minutes of high quality audio file has 1GB my friend.
3. Coming back to wired audio... Hmmm does the mighty iphones have a 32 bit quad dac? :))))) ... Don't bother to reply, please!

1. I didn't noticed that the discussion is for wireless audio – sorry!
2. HQ music/audio is per definition lossless music/audio, that is FLAC / ALAC.
3. Again, according to my experience/my comparisons with my equipment and my HQ (yes, "HQ") music, the iPhone sounds really good, I noticed just a minimal difference between the devices…

Reactions: Coffee_Time

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017
P. S. I don't even know if the allmighty iphone can open this kind of audio file. :))) )
[doublepost=1550685228][/doublepost]
1. I didn't noticed that the discussion is for wireless audio – sorry!
2. HQ music/audio is per definition lossless music/audio, that is FLAC / ALAC.
3. Again, according to my experience/my comparisons with my equipment and my HQ (yes, "HQ") music, the iPhone sounds really good, I noticed just a minimal difference between the devices…
OK. I get your point.
At your point 3 I agree. The diffrences are minimal, I would say în the 10% margin. But...
[doublepost=1550685438][/doublepost]But it all has to do with human body, the ear. Our ears differ so much that that 10% can increase to 30% or decrease to even 1%
We are also loosing our hearing each day. It's so subjective but as Mercedes says i preffer the best or nothing. For me and my budget lg and sony are better than iphone plus bose for example.

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017
If you care about audio, you’re not relying on Bluetooth. I mean, AAC is CD quality, so there’s that. And if you’re streaming over Spotify or anything like that, the LDAC will be wasted because it won’t be anywhere near that bitrate.
What about Tidal and MQA?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Now that you can get Master from Tidal using iPhones I am really digging using the camera adapter and the dragonfly red. Sounds great to me even with midrange headphones.

Reactions: boodle

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
The sad thing is no matter what you invest in DACs and source files close to the original Master quality, the production of modern music and the "remastering" of older recordings and their compression of dynamic range makes most so much of this a moot point. Right when superior audio mediums were being developed competing for the standard to be the successor to the Compact Disc, those being SACD and DVD-A, Napster came along and convinced people that they didn't need to pay for music, settling for very poorly encoded 128kbps MP3 files and it became the norm. Napster essentially killed the SACD and the great sound of DVD-A and 5.1 releases from original master tapes.

I had hope that when Apple developed ALAC that it would become available on the iTunes Store and instead we were offered Mastered for iTunes.

I have a nice (but limited collection) of DVD-A discs in my vehicles DVD Changer and the sound it is great. It is to bad that this is one technology that has not progressed and regressed. I have not experienced MQA yet and the "unfolding" technology, but plan on looking into it. I have several MFSL OMR 24k CDs, but of course they are 44.1k/16 so the technology is limited.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
They can't be broadcast over Bluetooth. That said, the implementation of Bluetooth on a specific device makes a huge difference in sound quality.

Why not? MQA is an audio codec that can be transported over higher res bluetooth codec like LDAC, upcoming aptX Adaptive or aptX-HD (top three to keep an eye on). Personally looking forward to aptX Adaptive since it combines low latency (~50ms) and hires. Here's a good comparison of 40ms, 100ms and 220ms bluetooth latency.

boodle

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2004
Why not? MQA is an audio codec that can be transported over higher res bluetooth codec like LDAC, upcoming aptX Adaptive or aptX-HD (top three to keep an eye on).
  • MQA requires a true lossless container like FLAC or ALAC to achieve full 24/96 unfolding.
  • Bluetooth 5.0 does not have the bandwidth
  • LDAC and the others are not truly lossless

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.