Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AtomicBoi1983

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2008
Tampa FL
My experience with the iflakjacket

So after going through several cases for my iPhone I figured that I wanted something a little more exotic than your standard leather or plastic case. I saw all of the fake carbon fiber cases and figured it would be really cool if I got one that was real. I did a lot of research one night and decided the best looking one (IMO) was the iflakjacket. I liked how it seemed to be really really slim and was looking for a case that would not make the phone much if any more bulky. I was super hesitant to bite the bullet and actually order one b/c it seemed like no one had for real bought one or had any experience with it. Any of the good reviews were obviously fake and that totally lead to my super hesitation. Plus all the other people seemed to have ordering issues. So on a total impulse I clicked and ordered it. At that time their shady looking website said that the item usually ships within two business days. I figured that was not likely so I didn't hold my breath. I ordered and paid for it on 11/11/2008. I got my order invoice shortly after. 89.99 + 10.13 for shipping (shipping label stated it actually cost 4.75 from Utah but whatever) total was 100.08. After that, 14 days came and went. On 11/25/2008 I finally got another email from them stating that the Item had shipped. Another 9 days came and went until I got notification from USPS that it was delivered this morning 11/03/2008. I got home from work today and checked the mailbox and it was in a USPS cardboard envelope. I opened it and opened the packaging (which was sealed by a single staple). My first thought open holding it was that it felt very stiff despite being so very very thin. That part impressed me. I looked closely at it and it is certainly not aesthetically perfect by any means but overall looked good. The color is simply dark gray and there is no epoxy resin of any kind coating the surface so the texture is of naked carbon fiber. There is also no lining of any kind to protect the outside plastic body of the 3g iPhone. It was very difficult to put on as it is an extremely tight fit. I'm certain my phone was scratched despite it being perfectly clean. The case fits super snug. In fact, I tried unsuccessfully to remove the cover tonight without any luck or tools. I'm glad I like it because I don't think I could get it off without really physically messing up my phone at this point. The profile of my phone has hardly changed at all. I don't even notice a difference in size while holding it. There is a relatively large cut out on the bottom back of the phone in order for the phones antenna to function, as well as cut outs for the silver Apple logo, camera, volume control and mute, headphone jack, and the screen sleep/wake button. Overall I really like the case, however I am slightly disappointed with the carbon fiber looking much less than perfect, and the eternity I had to wait to receive it. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSC03170.JPG
    DSC03170.JPG
    520.2 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC03176.JPG
    DSC03176.JPG
    563 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC03174.JPG
    DSC03174.JPG
    609 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC03180.JPG
    DSC03180.JPG
    471.8 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC03179.JPG
    DSC03179.JPG
    509.2 KB · Views: 129

ACKRITE

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
West Hartford, CT
Can't thank you enough for an actual review of this case, as it's been months since anyone has said boo about it. I also think that the "testimonials" that iFlakJacket puts up are not exactly genuine! I was hoping that their logo wasn't actually as obnoxious looking as it appears to be, but alas. Please let us know your thoughts as time passes.

I may end up going with the DRO Concepts one instead, albeit a bit thicker, due to a gloss finish.

Thanks again Atomic!

JMH65

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
Richmond, VA
Good to hear that you like the iFlakJacket despite the rough edges. I looked around at the end of November when DRO Concepts announced that they had released their carbon fiber case. It appeared then that there were only a few choices - DRO, iFlakJacket & Belch, though Belch only offered one for the iPhone rather then the iPhone 3G (just saw today that they sold their patents to DRO and referred all future inquiries to DRO). Anyway I ordered a DRO Concepts case and received it within a week - $91.04 to my door. Though it has one very minor imperfection in the finish (I've noticed but no one who has looked at it even commented), I have been very pleased with the product. There is another post in this forum where someone has some good pics - very representative of the product. Slightly different design from the iFlakJacket - less protection for the top buttons but a closed bottom. Neoprene liner seems to offer good protection when you take it on and off - tight but you can remove it. It appears that the DRO has much smootehr finish w/glossy gel coat. Anyway, if you are going to spend the money, I would recommend the DRO.

AtomicBoi1983

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2008
Tampa FL
I'm glad you like your case. I've gotten nothing but compliments from people who have seen the iFlakjacket in the flesh. The best part is that it's so thin! That being said I would love to see your case in person, however it might influence me to purchase your's due to it's heightend aesthetic appearence. Good luck and please keep us updated.

nimda0

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
D-town!
I don't care if it's made of gold, it's too expensive. I don't mind the looks of it, but the price is way to high for something that protects the phone.

I mean, the cost of the iflakjacket is 1/3 the price of the phone! Nearly 1/2 if you've got a 8gb!!!! That's ridiculous.

AtomicBoi1983

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2008
Tampa FL
Update....

I couldn't deal with the fact that I couldn't take it off to clean it so I broke the bottom of the case to free my phone! LOL...Waste of money at this point. Oh well :)

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
why didnt you try pushing it down from one of the holes in the top?

i like this case but i dont have the money for a case that expensive right now

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
I don't care if it's made of gold, it's too expensive. I don't mind the looks of it, but the price is way to high for something that protects the phone.

I mean, the cost of the iflakjacket is 1/3 the price of the phone! Nearly 1/2 if you've got a 8gb!!!! That's ridiculous.

carbon fiber aint cheap.

AtomicBoi1983

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2008
Tampa FL
why didnt you try pushing it down from one of the holes in the top?

i like this case but i dont have the money for a case that expensive right now

I tried pushing it out from there but I couldn't push any harder without damaging my phone.

Anyways since posting my last update I recieved an email from the company. I will update again to let you know what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.