Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b257177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
According the the folks over at iPhoneAlley, iFuntastic v3 is released! The new features looks AWESOME. New features include a real file browser that allows installing 3rd party applications (uploading NES ROMs, etc.) and a new feature called "Unshackling". With "unshackling" you don't have to un-jail and re-jail your Apple iPhone for every modification, "unshackle" is friendly with maintaining iTunes' ability to access the phone.

I can't wait to geek out tonight after class! :)

Lionheart

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Tampa, FL
According the the folks over at iPhoneAlley, iFuntastic v3 is released! The new features looks AWESOME. New features include a real file browser that allows installing 3rd party applications (uploading NES ROMs, etc.) and a new feature called "Unshackling". With "unshackling" you don't have to un-jail and re-jail your Apple iPhone for every modification, "unshackle" is friendly with maintaining iTunes' ability to access the phone.

I can't wait to geek out tonight after class! :)

Anybody who has installer.app try this yet? It looks really cool, certainly for those who haven't broken out of jail yet...but I got my phone pretty much the way I want it. Yet...that multiple screen feature looks mighty tempting..

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
Looks like I'm restoring and using this. Lol... I hate it that iTunes doesn't open when you unjail/rejail it. This fixed it with unshackle hopefully.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I tried it, it works pretty good. Now using the good jailbreaking method, it does seem to work quite well. :)

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
meh, this version finally made me stop "hacking my iphone" for one, it COULD screw up your phone, and i havnt been happy with it.

now this version, when you click "dont display names" because i couldnt figure out how to change them (they were all mobilephone, mobilemail, etc) it still showed the messed up names in the dock..

akophone

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2007
Anyone know if it is a must to restore the phone before "unshackling" is performed? I've spent a lot of time modding and I'm wondering if this is really required...?

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Further proof Apple needs to get on the stick with updates. I really want something fresh, but am not willing to hack my phone to do so.

C'mon Apple. It's obvious you are waiting on Leopard, but give us something!

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
A lot of problems with this new version, but it's progress nonetheless. It somehow screwed up my home screen and erased all the icons. I put them back manually, but then all the names were the screwed up names the developer gave the apps (WTF is MobileCal? Why not just use the names from the iPhone?

In the process of restoring now, but 3.0 is definitely a beta.

MacUser4_20

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2004
California
So far I havent been able to pass the unshackling part, as I did not do a full restore, but I will and I am sure it will go to the next step.

Anyone know if it is a must to restore the phone before "unshackling" is performed? I've spent a lot of time modding and I'm wondering if this is really required...?

linshiwen

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2007
Oh sweet twirling jesus the texts that the applications are forced to use once you update the homescreen are AWFUL. "Mobilephone? MobileMail?...MobileNOtes?" COMON

Now I wish I hadnt done this, but I would have to do a restore, find a copy of iFuntastic 2.5...install ssh, etc. GUH. Please please please iFuntastic developers if you read this, make the icons say "SMS" "Calendar" "Notes" "Clocks" "iPod" "Phone" "Mail" "safari" again... these look terrible. Otherwise solid work, sincere thanks.

Edit: WHY OH WHY when I choose to remove the fugly text, the text remains in the menu dock!?

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
The one thing it does well is make themes. Aside from hiding the text which it seems to do incorrectly ...

It puts ringtones in the inappropriate directory, it ruins your DisplayOrder.plist, it may or may not jailbreak the current stable way ... it doesn't run in Leopard (it works but the UI is really messed up) ... the best way to hack thus far is use the Installer.app automated installer, install BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH, modify files with an SFTP client like Cyberduck.

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
Aww man...ive been waiting for a new ifuntastic...maybe they rushed this new version out since the installer app came out so they wouldnt be outdone

linshiwen

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2007
BTW dont try to fix the ugly text in the dock by systematically renaming the .app files.

I knew it would break it, but DAMN. Bricktackular, back to restore, back to square 1. Installer.app +ssh it is. TBH this developer is going to have to work pretty hard to convince me to use iFuntastic anymore, especially after this truly shoddy release, and ESPECIALLY since it appears future releases will cost money.

Way to release crap software then charge to fix it....

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
BTW dont try to fix the ugly text in the dock by systematically renaming the .app files.

I knew it would break it, but DAMN. Bricktackular, back to restore, back to square 1. Installer.app +ssh it is. TBH this developer is going to have to work pretty hard to convince me to use iFuntastic anymore, especially after this truly shoddy release, and ESPECIALLY since it appears future releases will cost money.

Way to release crap software then charge to fix it....

If you want to remove the text, go to:

/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj/LocalizeApplicationNames.string

(You may need to open it in TextWrangler or a program like that. TextEdit for Leopard seems to not be able to read it correctly ... I haven't tried Tiger TextEdit.)

And change replace entries like this:
Code:
<key>com.apple.mobileipod</key>
<string>iPod</string>

To this:
Code:
<key>com.apple.mobileipod</key>
<string></string>

I think once you see the file, you'll understand. The text between <key> and </key> is the application identifier. The text between <string> and </string> is the name that will show up for said application on your home screen. If you replace it with nothing, then just the icon will show up.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
Hmmmm, not crazy about ver. 3.0.3, it seems to have really messed up my iPhone. I liked 2.5 much better. Is unshackling the alternative to jailbreaking as it shouldn't require a restore with iPhone updates?

dubels

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2006
It seems buggy and I cant get over the renaming thing it is has caused me to restore three times. I also cant just change toe carrier logo without chaning the home screen. I click update in the carrier logo area and it wont change until I update through home screen

tranced25

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
Florida
Holy.......

Thank the Lord for you brave souls that tried this out first before I bothered using it...... the specs posted looked so good! Had I begun messing with this, I would have been up crap creek whithout a paddle not knowing what to do when things go awry. Been dying for a background on my home screen where all the icons reside..... but this doesn't appear to be worth the trouble for what I am looking to accomplish. Guess I will continue waiting until a sense of stability occurs. Thanks to all you guys for the honest input.......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.