Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
So just to confirm (I knocked around some Xeno Forums support groups first, but I guess there's a ton of options, so it depends on the specific configuration) - anyway ...

If you place someone on your ignore list, they will continue to see your posts, correct? i.e., it's not "bi-directional" in that your posts are also not visible to them[?]

Does it also prevent them from sending you a PM (aka, starting a Conversation)?

_thanks_

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If you place someone on your ignore list, they will continue to see your posts, correct? i.e., it's not "bi-directional" in that your posts are also not visible to them[?]

Correct.

Does it also prevent them from sending you a PM (aka, starting a Conversation)?

Nope... it does not block conversations. If you are getting unwanted or harassing private conversation messages, just report them and we can handle it.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Was there a compelling reason why MR moved away from vBulletin?

The site was running on a very customized version of vB 3.8 that was coming up on EOL, so an eventual move of some sort needed to occur. There was a newer vB 5 that was pretty widely disliked and incomplete as far as features that were in earlier versions. XenForo was actively being developed and had some nice features like social login and better search as well as the alerts system, so that was the choice for the move.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
The site was running on a very customized version of vB 3.8 that was coming up on EOL, so an eventual move of some sort needed to occur. There was a newer vB 5 that was pretty widely disliked and incomplete as far as features that were in earlier versions. XenForo was actively being developed and had some nice features like social login and better search as well as the alerts system, so that was the choice for the move.

Xenforo is a MUCH better platform, I have found. This is especially true if you browse or reply to posts on an iPhone. VB is horrible on iPhone, while XenForo is easy. I also much prefer all the options and the look of it.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Why? You may not agree with his opinions, but they are reasoned opinions, which is much better than a lot of hit and runs that are sometimes found here.

I’d rather read a hit and run post with some passion than a boring, matter of fact statement, any day of the week. But that’s just me.

Reactions: George Dawes

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Is there any way we can determine if we're on someone's ignore list, or if there are posts being [systematically] ignored in a specific thread? If not, any consideration to make this change? (don't know if it would require a simple system config, an add-in or a completely custom code change)

Here's a few issues:

Some of us spend cycles replying to someone, and there seems to be some kind of response ... but maybe not. It's not always clear if it's just some kind of general topic reply that happens to also relate to your comment (it's like talking to someone on a call with hidden earbuds, they're smiling and responding to the caller, you're talking to them, they're nodding their head ... but not to you)

In some long running threads, there are users (who are high volume posters), making general topic posts, some of us have already made, there are - let's call them 3rd parties - who appear to not have either user ignored, and they're commenting on one post, and the first poster is making follow up posts that seem to conflict - it just really diminishes the flow of the discussion when you can't tell who can see which posts.

I'm _sure_ there's some kind of concern over "retaliation", but this isn't like an up/down vote, if you've been put on an ignore list you're essentially nonexistent to them - and I understand not wanting constant mention of "Since I'm being ignored ...".

It's also my opinion that doing a reverse ignore on someone you only suspect might be ignoring you doesn't encourage an open communication environment, maybe they just selectively don't reply (maybe they feel like you'll call them on their content), they may have interesting contributions and you'd be happy to tell them, but your comments are going into the ether, maybe you could engage them differently over time, by watching how the interact with other users (that is of course, wasted time if they never see your replies).

I think at the very least it would be nice to be informed that you're quoting a user that has you on ignore.

I've been online a _long_time_ , so I get some of the difficulties in this area, having dealt with some of them, even way back in the BBS/DU days, but I think there's a better answer than the current implementation.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 0388631

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is there any way we can determine if we're on someone's ignore list
Nope and tbh, I think that's the way I like it. In other forums I frequent, I prefer keeping my ignore list private. Its my business of who I want to ignore or not. I can see having that list public could cause other issues that are avoidable imo.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Nope and tbh, I think that's the way I like it. In other forums I frequent, I prefer keeping my ignore list private. Its my business of who I want to ignore or not. I can see having that list public could cause other issues that are avoidable imo.

Well, now you're talking about specific implementation details, it wouldn't have to be "public", it would be for the single person that's ignored to realize they're replying into nothingness - I've literally had people quote me, and then as far as I can tell, get their panties in a wad over something else (i.e., the original quote was totally friendly), I spend time researching, writing a nice, thoughtful response ... that nobody sees.

Even as simple as, quote user, and in the resulting edit UI, a notice at the bottom, "The user you are quoting has chosen to ignore your posts and won't see this reply"

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
By "public", I believe @maflynn meant anyone other than the forum member who owns the ignore list.

I concur it should not be viewed by anyone other than that member. It has a chance to just cause rifts and more issues.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
By "public", I believe @maflynn meant anyone other than the forum member who owns the ignore list.

I concur it should not be viewed by anyone other than that member. It has a chance to just cause rifts and more issues.

Totally understood, and my slightly more open variant is, you as the ignored user, being aware that another user is ignoring you, not seeing any other details.

To be honest, I've thought through the "more issues" concerns (I get paid a decent amount of money for usability analysis of systems), and if you only know who is ignoring you, and you can't post anything that they see, and they can easily ignore and/or report PMs, it seems like it's only a benefit to the, umm, ignore-ee :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
that nobody sees.
Just because somone doesn't response doesn't mean that nobody sees it.

Yes, that's my point. I want my ignore list (at least on other forums) to be private. Its my choice to not see certain content, I don't want other members knowing they're on my ignore list.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I'm thinking more along the lines of the ignore-ee then badgering the ignore-er via PM or simply others trying to work around the system.

I don't know the moderation load, but I think it might impact that. I wonder if having it be the user's choice if they want the ignore list shared would work for both sides. I cannot imagine many people wanting to share that, but it's an option.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Just because somone doesn't response doesn't mean that nobody sees it.

Yes, that's my point. I want my ignore list (at least on other forums) to be private. Its my choice to not see certain content, I don't want other members knowing they're on my ignore list.

Obviously, but if it's carefully written to address a specific user's post, it's wasted cycles.

So why wouldn't you want a member to know they're on your ignore list? I'm genuinely curious?
[doublepost=1524837353][/doublepost]
I'm thinking more along the lines of the ignore-ee then badgering the ignore-er via PM or simply others trying to work around the system.

I don't know the moderation load, but I think it might impact that. I wonder if having it be the user's choice if they want the ignore list shared would work for both sides. I cannot imagine many people wanting to share that, but it's an option.

Right, I mean a simple answer - but that makes an unverifiable assumption - is to just ignore a user who you believe is ignoring you (and if it was just selective [for a subset of posts], or timing, or any other non-ignoring scenario, you just lose contact with them for no reason)

TBH, I think users should either be a good contributor or gone, and everyone should see all posts - I'm getting double posts in a fun thread, because I believe my posts are ignored by the user who's posting the EXACT same content.

Just thought it was a topic worth discussing. I'll just mark it resolved as I'm traveling (for fun :D) in a few hours and won't have (more specifically, won't be taking time out from the fun, to follow up) :)

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So why wouldn't you want a member to know they're on your ignore list? I'm genuinely curious?
Simply put, I just want to manage what content I want to see. I don't have any examples here at MR, because as a moderator, I have to see all content, but the other sites I frequent, there are some members that post content that I prefer not to see, or I don't like how they interact, i.e., condescending, so I put them on my ignore list.

Obviously, but if it's carefully written to address a specific user's post, it's wasted cycles.
Perhaps, but a non-answer doesn't mean you are on the ignore list. It could be just that the member chooses not to agree/disagree/rebutt your post. Utimiately your post isn't going to be ignored, if you have a well reasoned response or opinion, that member may ignore it or not see it, but other's do.

Reactions: 0388631 and NoBoMac

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Simply put, I just want to manage what content I want to see. I don't have any examples here at MR, because as a moderator, I have to see all content, but the other sites I frequent, there are some members that post content that I prefer not to see, or I don't like how they interact, i.e., condescending, so I put them on my ignore list.

Right, same for me, except that's not what I was asking, I'm curious why you wouldn't want another, specific user to be aware they're on your ignore list (and not exposing anyone else)? I mean, it's ultimately the same end result (user who's ignoring you - whether "manually" or via a system option - doesn't respond), however, at least for me, if I know someone has committed to ignoring my posts, it kind of provides closure, and I know that duplicated posts are a systematic result, not just someone not reading a thread (resulting in a bunch of "FYI, I posted that same article above", you know for the "3rd parties" who are ignoring neither of us). Really, I get it, I REALLY get it, I've done a number of speaking engagements on content curation.

Again, this is more a "Let's choose a policy and go with it" (which I totally understand), so knowing that's the case, I'll just do my best to navigate that set of rules.

Have a good weekend!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm curious why you wouldn't want another, specific user to be aware they're on your ignore list (and not exposing anyone else)?
Because its my business and not his. I'm not trying to sound off putting but this has nothing to do with the other member and my choice of seeing certain content is that, my choice. There could be other unintended issues, such as the other member not liking what occured and starts posting negative content about the member who put them on the ignore list. Why cause more drama when its unnecessary.

Its not my concern that he (or she) may post a rebuttal of my post and that goes unanswered. Is that any different then someone that is not on an ignore list posting a reply that goes unanaswered by the quoted person?

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
If I may interject, when XenForo was getting off the grounds, that feature (to be turned on) was suggested and was quickly shot down. Kier, who's also a friend of mine (lead developer of XF/owner) explained that features such as that only cause problems down the road. If someone ignores you and you're not rude, then I'd just move on. You can explain something over and over and not get a response. People will notice you putting the effort in. Some people never learn. Can't really fault them.

There were a lot of "new wave" features that didn't make it through the original development cycle nor in the last major release. There's a few UX and one tiny feature present in the base software that was a result of moi. Other people had more extensive roles in suggesting features that make this one of the easiest and most joyful forum scripts to use. All between takes of people smashing cake and cupcakes with their hands and feet. Don't ask.

For me, it's one of those ethical gray areas. There were similar features available on vB through mods that brought those issues to the surface.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Right, same for me, except that's not what I was asking, I'm curious why you wouldn't want another, specific user to be aware they're on your ignore list (and not exposing anyone else)? I mean, it's ultimately the same end result (user who's ignoring you - whether "manually" or via a system option - doesn't respond), however, at least for me, if I know someone has committed to ignoring my posts, it kind of provides closure, and I know that duplicated posts are a systematic result, not just someone not reading a thread (resulting in a bunch of "FYI, I posted that same article above", you know for the "3rd parties" who are ignoring neither of us). Really, I get it, I REALLY get it, I've done a number of speaking engagements on content curation.

Again, this is more a "Let's choose a policy and go with it" (which I totally understand), so knowing that's the case, I'll just do my best to navigate that set of rules.

Have a good weekend!
I don’t care if someone has me on the ignore list. The way I look at it is, I’m responding to The internet. It never deters me when someone doesn’t respond to posts as there always is someone who actually reads the post, even if the original poster didn’t.

Reactions: NoBoMac and maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.