Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
I got my 15" M3 Air today. It's my first Mac since 2012 and the last version of MacOS that I used was Mountain Lion. I had a late 2008 unibody MacBook until 2012 and when that died I bought whatever was the latest 13" Air at the time, December 2012, but I returned that (I won't get into why here). I've been wanting to return to Mac for well over a decade and this week I finally pulled the trigger!

My main computer is a beefy Windows PC so this Air is only really going to be used as a secondary machine for around the house and travelling. My use of it will be web browsing, streaming Spotify, watching YouTube/Netflix, emailing, simple excel stuff (in browser), and maybe some light photo/video editing. My main computer is where I'll do heavy workloads and gaming.

The specs of the Air I got was the 15" M3 with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD in Space Grey. I've only used it for a few hours to set it up but I wanted to share my impressions and thoughts:

• I'll get the obvious one out the way first but I can't believe how thin it is! I did try an M2 Air out at the Apple Store a few months ago and got to experience it there and I was so impressed with it.
  • The Space Grey is nice but I am wondering if I should've went with Midnight now. Not a big issue and not worth returning it. Speaking of the case, I did find a few tiny small marks on the body. They look like little bits of dust. Some people would not accept this but I don't think it's worth caring about or worth the hassle of returning.
  • The screen is beautiful. The first thing I noticed was the pixel density. I know it's a retina display but everything looks so clean and sharp. The colours are bold and vibrant for not being an OLED/MiniLED. It's probably the best LED screen I've used and I thought my 27" PC monitor was good. Can't seem to see any faulty pixels or DSE (my PC monitor has DSE) but I did notice a little of light bleed on the bottom left of the screen. This was in a dark room, about 30-40% brightness, and on an all black screen. I'm used to 144hz refresh rate on my PC monitor so it's a little rough going to 60hz but not an issue.
  • I'm so glad I went with the 15" screen. It's a good size but it does feel somewhat cramped. I'm coming from a 27" display and I need to remind myself to be fair because yes 15" is a smaller screen. This could be a 17" screen and I'd probably still feel the same way. It will take some adjusting but there is just no way I would've been happy with the 13" so the extra size, weight, and money for me is totally justified.
  • Sound of the speakers is really good. It's not amazing but I'm impressed with it and it seems to have good surround/spatial sounds.
  • It's been a while since I last used MacOS and I know it'll take time to learn it again but one thing that is kinda bugging me is how opening/close apps and windows works. It feels a bit clunky. I tried out Stage Manager and turned it right back off lol. I don't like how the apps are kept open on the left of the screen when I hide all the windows. Maybe I'm using it wrong but I prefer just doing the trackpad gesture (3 fingers swipe up? i think) to show all running app windows.
  • They keyboard feels so satisfying to type on. I am used to a 60% mechanical keyboard which is loud and clicky. The Air keyboard obviously doesn't have as much travel but is so much quieter and just feels really good to type on. I need some time to get used to option and command keys. I was getting so frustrating trying to sign into my apple account because I couldn't figure out how to do the # key lol (I have british keyboard).
  • I'm a bit disappointed about apps. I thought these Apple Silicon machines could run any iOS app but apparently not. Many of my favourite apps from iPhone are missing or not the same. For example, I use the Excel app on my phone which works fine but on Mac OS i need to actually subscribe to Microsoft 365 to use it. My safari adblock extension purchase didn't carry over so I had to buy it again. I wanted to download Netflix, Reddit, Twitter, TikTok but they don't exist so I need to use them in the browser. Not a major problem but disappointing.
  • I think I'd much prefer if these had Face ID but Touch ID works really good. I also like I can use my Apple Watch to unlock some stuff but I turned it off because it was annoying me that my watch kept vibrating and I much prefer to just tap the Touch ID sensor.
  • Trackpad is HUGE. I remember my old MacBook trackpad you could only click it towards the bottom and the further up it got more difficult to press. I love that I can click anywhere on the pad even in the corners. Does this actually physically click or is it just haptics? I'm a mouse person but this is the best trackpad I've ever used.
  • Performance wise, I pushed the Air way harder than I'd ever use it and it didn't break a sweat. I had about 10 safari tabs open (one with YouTube streaming), spotify streaming music (muted), mail/weather/notes/reminders/app store/bitwarden/apple music/apple tv/apple maps open (I'm probably forgetting some). I think I saw one animation that didn't look smooth but otherwise it handled everything I threw at it. I know it's not a demanding load but again this is way more than I'll use it. I will do more demanding stuff later. I don't think I saw RAM go above 12GB. Out of 16GB that seems a lot but the pressure seemed to stay quite low and in the green. Even after I closed mostly everything the RAM still stuck at about 10-11GB (probably the cached memory) so I guess I won't question how MacOS works. I'm telling my self that I don't care about memory management on my iPhone so I'm not going to care about it on Mac.
  • I don't know how to check temperatures on Mac but even when I was pushing it "hard" it didn't get warm at all. It's insane that this one of the most advanced processors available today and that is being passively cooled. I was worried about this but now I'm just in awe at how well designed the M3 and the Air chasis is. Well done Apple.
  • The notch doesn't bother me. I thought it would but I don't even notice it.
  • I want to say it came with about 85% battery life out the box and by the time I had stopped using it then it was at about 72% (maybe 3 hours usage). At one point when I checked remaining time it said 17:52 hours so yeah the 18 hour battery life claim seems to hold up.
  • Do most people shut down their Mac when they aren't using it or put it in sleep? I have it in sleep just now but I am too used to shutting down my devices. I want to treat it like I do my iPhone so maybe I'll just keep it in sleep and only shutdown/restart if i need to.
I can't think of anything else at the moment. I know it's not terribly exciting stuff but I wanted to share it anyway. If you have any questions then ask away, I guess. I'll do my best to answer.

I've ordered myself a sleeve to keep it in because I'm worried about it getting damaged. I have 3 cats ... and nowhere is safe from them. They'll jump or sit on it! Right now I'm keeping the Air in the cardboard box the packaging came in lol. My sleeve will arrive tomorrow.

Last edited:

AudiHeel

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2019
Carolina
I just have an M1Air and think it's amazing - no fan, no heat, fantastic keyboard. I liked my MacBook 2017 but it was so much weaker, would cook your leg and the keyboard was not great.
I just click the apple in the corner and hit SLEEP, or it happens by itself after 10 minutes.

Reactions: G5isAlive

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I got my 15" M3 Air today. It's my first Mac since 2012 and the last version of MacOS that I used was Mountain Lion. I had a late 2008 unibody MacBook until 2012 and when that died I bought whatever was the latest 13" Air at the time, December 2012, but I returned that (I won't get into why here). I've been wanting to return to Mac for well over a decade and this week I finally pulled the trigger!

My main computer is a beefy Windows PC so this Air is only really going to be used as a secondary machine for around the house and travelling. My use of it will be web browsing, streaming Spotify, watching YouTube/Netflix, emailing, simple excel stuff (in browser), and maybe some light photo/video editing. My main computer is where I'll do heavy workloads and gaming.

The specs of the Air I got was the 15" M3 with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD in Space Grey. I've only used it for a few hours to set it up but I wanted to share my impressions and thoughts:

• I'll get the obvious one out the way first but I can't believe how thin it is! I did try an M2 Air out at the Apple Store a few months ago and got to experience it there and I was so impressed with it.
  • The Space Grey is nice but I am wondering if I should've went with Midnight now. Not a big issue and not worth returning it. Speaking of the case, I did find a few tiny small marks on the body. They look like little bits of dust. Some people would not accept this but I don't think it's worth caring about or worth the hassle of returning.
  • The screen is beautiful. The first thing I noticed was the pixel density. I know it's a retina display but everything looks so clean and sharp. The colours are bold and vibrant for not being an OLED/MiniLED. It's probably the best LED screen I've used and I thought my 27" PC monitor was good. Can't seem to see any faulty pixels or DSE (my PC monitor has DSE) but I did notice a little of light bleed on the bottom left of the screen. This was in a dark room, about 30-40% brightness, and on an all black screen. I'm used to 144hz refresh rate on my PC monitor so it's a little rough going to 60hz but not an issue.
  • I'm so glad I went with the 15" screen. It's a good size but it does feel somewhat cramped. I'm coming from a 27" display and I need to remind myself to be fair because yes 15" is a smaller screen. This could be a 17" screen and I'd probably still feel the same way. It will take some adjusting but there is just no way I would've been happy with the 13" so the extra size, weight, and money for me is totally justified.
  • Sound of the speakers is really good. It's not amazing but I'm impressed with it and it seems to have good surround/spatial sounds.
  • It's been a while since I last used MacOS and I know it'll take time to learn it again but one thing that is kinda bugging me is how opening/close apps and windows works. It feels a bit clunky. I tried out Stage Manager and turned it right back off lol. I don't like how the apps are kept open on the left of the screen when I hide all the windows. Maybe I'm using it wrong but I prefer just doing the trackpad gesture (3 fingers swipe up? i think) to show all running app windows.
  • They keyboard feels so satisfying to type on. I am used to a 60% mechanical keyboard which is loud and clicky. The Air keyboard obviously doesn't have as much travel but is so much quieter and just feels really good to type on. I need some time to get used to option and command keys. I was getting so frustrating trying to sign into my apple account because I couldn't figure out how to do the # key lol (I have british keyboard).
  • I'm a bit disappointed about apps. I thought these Apple Silicon machines could run any iOS app but apparently not. Many of my favourite apps from iPhone are missing or not the same. For example, I use the Excel app on my phone which works fine but on Mac OS i need to actually subscribe to Microsoft 365 to use it. My safari adblock extension purchase didn't carry over so I had to buy it again. I wanted to download Netflix, Reddit, Twitter, TikTok but they don't exist so I need to use them in the browser. Not a major problem but disappointing.
  • I think I'd much prefer if these had Face ID but Touch ID works really good. I also like I can use my Apple Watch to unlock some stuff but I turned it off because it was annoying me that my watch kept vibrating and I much prefer to just tap the Touch ID sensor.
  • Trackpad is HUGE. I remember my old MacBook trackpad you could only click it towards the bottom and the further up it got more difficult to press. I love that I can click anywhere on the pad even in the corners. Does this actually physically click or is it just haptics? I'm a mouse person but this is the best trackpad I've ever used.
  • Performance wise, I pushed the Air way harder than I'd ever use it and it didn't break a sweat. I had about 10 safari tabs open (one with YouTube streaming), spotify streaming music (muted), mail/weather/notes/reminders/app store/bitwarden/apple music/apple tv/apple maps open (I'm probably forgetting some). I think I saw one animation that didn't look smooth but otherwise it handled everything I threw at it. I know it's not a demanding load but again this is way more than I'll use it. I will do more demanding stuff later. I don't think I saw RAM go above 12GB. Out of 16GB that seems a lot but the pressure seemed to stay quite low and in the green. Even after I closed mostly everything the RAM still stuck at about 10-11GB (probably the cached memory) so I guess I won't question how MacOS works. I'm telling my self that I don't care about memory management on my iPhone so I'm not going to care about it on Mac.
  • I don't know how to check temperatures on Mac but even when I was pushing it "hard" it didn't get warm at all. It's insane that this one of the most advanced processors available today and that is being passively cooled. I was worried about this but now I'm just in awe at how well designed the M3 and the Air chasis is. Well done Apple.
  • The notch doesn't bother me. I thought it would but I don't even notice it.
  • I want to say it came with about 85% battery life out the box and by the time I had stopped using it then it was at about 72% (maybe 3 hours usage). At one point when I checked remaining time it said 17:52 hours so yeah the 18 hour battery life claim seems to hold up.
  • Do most people shut down their Mac when they aren't using it or put it in sleep? I have it in sleep just now but I am too used to shutting down my devices. I want to treat it like I do my iPhone so maybe I'll just keep it in sleep and only shutdown/restart if i need to.
I can't think of anything else at the moment. I know it's not terribly exciting stuff but I wanted to share it anyway. If you have any questions then ask away, I guess. I'll do my best to answer.

I've ordered myself a sleeve to keep it in because I'm worried about it getting damaged. I have 3 cats ... and nowhere is safe from them. They'll jump or sit on it! Right now I'm keeping the Air in the cardboard box the packaging came in lol. My sleeve will arrive tomorrow.
Where are the marks that look like dust on your MacBook?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Do most people shut down their Mac when they aren't using it or put it in sleep? I have it in sleep just now but I am too used to shutting down my devices.
have never shut my M1 down. Only lock its screen and let it auto-sleep by itself. From time to time i restart it just to refresh it, like after a month or two.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Where are the marks that look like dust on your MacBook?
not mine just a photo to show where.

oofkkJs.jpg

they are actually really hard to notice. i know they are there and it took a few seconds to see them. the light has to shine on the body just right. i had a hard time getting a photo of them but here you go... this was at 5x zoom on my 15 pro max lol.

xotbgtt.jpg

i only mentioned it because i noticed it. doesn't bother me at all. the laptop will soon have scuffs and marks the more i use it so no point worrying about it. i've had Macs arrive in worse condition. when i tried an Air in 2012 one came with a huge chip on the edge next to the magsafe port.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
have never shut my M1 down. Only lock its screen and let it auto-sleep by itself. From time to time i restart it just to refresh it, like after a month or two.
Yeah with MacOS I never ever shut down. I just close the lid and carry on. It wakes super fast like an ipad. After over 30 years windows still can’t get that right.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
I left mine in sleep over night and it hardly drained so yeah I guess I'll just keep it in sleep. I am now at 62% and according to the stats it came with 90% out the box and Ive used it for maybe 5 hours total. The battery life is seriously impressive.

• Wow
Reactions: Populus

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
Do most people shut down their Mac when they aren't using it or put it in sleep?
I typically shut down my Air M2 at the end of the day. Provides the opportunity for a fresh start the next morning and keeps me away from any app problems or memory hogs. Also, does not consume energy when it’s not necessary.
But I know the majority of people just close the lid and call it a day…

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
It's been a while since I last used MacOS and I know it'll take time to learn it again but one thing that is kinda bugging me is how opening/close apps and windows works. It feels a bit clunky. I tried out Stage Manager and turned it right back off lol. I don't like how the apps are kept open on the left of the screen when I hide all the windows. Maybe I'm using it wrong but I prefer just doing the trackpad gesture (3 fingers swipe up? i think) to show all running app windows.
just curious, why did you go with the MacBook Air over an iPad Pro?
Just from the usage that you describe, and your gripes with the machine, it sounds like an iPad Pro would suit your needs much better.
It has a 120 Hz display, it can run all of those iOS apps you listed just fine, you don’t have to worry about window management for the most part, the apps run just like iPhone apps do, you don’t have to worry about sleep versus shut down, it has Face ID, the Magic Keyboard feels about the same as a MacBook Air keyboard.
Not to mention, because most media services have third-party applications on the iPad whereas they don’t on the Mac, you get additional features that make traveling easier like off-line downloads.
And of course, the form factor of the iPad is perfect for ultimate versatility, you can take it right off the keyboard and just use the screen if you want, you can hook it up to an external monitor and use it like a miniature desktop, you can use the pencil, you can use your fingers, you can use the keyboard, trackpad, fingers, and the pencil altogether…
The only downsides would be:
The smaller screen, but if you can go from a 27 inch down to a 15 inch you can also go from a 27 inch down to a 13 inch and get used to it.
The battery life is slightly less good than the MacBook Air.
But outside of that, just going off of what you said here, it sounds like as a companion to your PC, the iPad would work just as well, if not better in some cases.
Not to mention the rumored M3 iPad Pro is speculated to get a new aluminum keyboard with a much larger trackpad, much more like a MacBook Air in fact, and an OLED display.
Of course there are reasons to choose the 15 inch MacBook Air over an iPad Pro, I’m just curious why you did.

Last edited:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
There is definitely heat, especially with no fan

MBAs throttle themselves to deal with it
Given that my mid-2012 quad-core i7 with GeForce 650M was often at 100 degrees C, any Apple Silicon MacBook Air is generally less hot at full speed and then, the throttling occurs.

It's always impressive when my Windows machine doesn't have the fans going. I can actually hear what I'm watching.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
just curious, why did you go with the MacBook Air over an iPad Pro?
Just from the usage that you describe, and your gripes with the machine, it sounds like an iPad Pro would suit your needs much better.
It has a 120 Hz display, it can run all of those iOS apps you listed just fine, you don’t have to worry about window management for the most part, the apps run just like iPhone apps do, you don’t have to worry about sleep versus shut down, it has Face ID, the Magic Keyboard feels about the same as a MacBook Air keyboard.
Not to mention, because most media services have third-party applications on the iPad whereas they don’t on the Mac, you get additional features that make traveling easier like off-line downloads.
And of course, the form factor of the iPad is perfect for ultimate versatility, you can take it right off the keyboard and just use the screen if you want, you can hook it up to an external monitor and use it like a miniature desktop, you can use the pencil, you can use your fingers, you can use the keyboard, trackpad, fingers, and the pencil altogether…
The only downsides would be:
The smaller screen, but if you can go from a 27 inch down to a 15 inch you can also go from a 27 inch down to a 13 inch and get used to it.
The battery life is slightly less good than the MacBook Air.
But outside of that, just going off of what you said here, it sounds like as a companion to your PC, the iPad would work just as well, if not better in some cases.
Not to mention the rumored M3 iPad Pro is speculated to get a new aluminum keyboard with a much larger trackpad, much more like a MacBook Air in fact, and an OLED display.
Of course there are reasons to choose the 15 inch MacBook Air over an iPad Pro, I’m just curious why you did.
I did have an iPad (2021 11") and considered waiting for the M3 Pros but you're right it does seem like the better option but those "gripes" aren't really issues for me. I love using the Air and I'm happy with it. 60hz isn't a problem and I don't need iOS apps I just thought it was a thing on Apple Silicon that all them worked on it. That's my mistake for not researching it properly. I've got a better used to how MacOS works... remember I'm too used to how Windows works so there is some adjustment. And I have been keeping the Air in sleep :)

My main computer has always been a desktop so I feel more at home having a full desktop OS experience and doing things through the web browser instead of an app. Touch screens hold me back if I want to do something quick or be productive and I know you can add a keyboard/mouse to iPad but it's an optional accessory that raises the cost and I wanted the biggest screen I could reasonably afford in a portable form factor so it was either this 15" Air or the much more expensive 16" MBP. The cheapest iPad Pro I'd get with a keyboard/trackpad cost £1,568 (£1,978 if I went for the 12.9" model) and my Air cost £1,700 so I don't mind the extra cost for bigger screen, MacOS, etc.

I gave iPad a shot and this time I just went with the Air because I've been wanting a Mac again for 12 years so decided that's what I'll get :)

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
RE: iOS apps on a Mac - that's wholly up to developers to check the box that allows their iOS apps to be on the Mac. As you've seen, most of the big media companies have elected NOT to check that box. That's on them, not Apple.
Also: you cannot run Excel for free on a PC or iPad/tablet either. Microsoft has linked it to screen size… go figure.

Flynnsworth

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2023
I got my 15" M3 Air today. It's my first Mac since 2012 and the last version of MacOS that I used was Mountain Lion.
👊🏼

one thing that is kinda bugging me is how opening/close apps and windows works. It feels a bit clunky.
I always use CMD + Q if I want to fully close an app. CMD + Tab lets you switch between apps.
There are MacOS apps out there such as 'AltTab' which will give you Alt + Tab functionality similar to Windows. I prefer the Mac ways though.

I'm a bit disappointed about apps. I thought these Apple Silicon machines could run any iOS app but apparently not.
A developer issue, sadly.

I use the Excel app on my phone which works fine but on Mac OS i need to actually subscribe to Microsoft 365 to use it.
Microsoft's 365 licensing plans are actually based on screen size. Some plans allow free editing on screen sizes up to 10.9 inches, and some for screen sizes up to 10.1 inches.

My safari adblock extension purchase didn't carry over so I had to buy it again.
You may enjoy the Safari experience on Mac.. Personally I use Brave (Chromium based engine without the Google spyware), or Firefox. If you try either of those browsers, check out uBlock Origin for ad blocking.

I remember my old MacBook trackpad you could only click it towards the bottom and the further up it got more difficult to press.
You probably know this, but it is even better when you go to Settings > Trackpad and enable: Tap to Click.
For Secondary click try Click or Tap with Two Fingers.

Do most people shut down their Mac when they aren't using it or put it in sleep?
Close the lid, job done.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
I’m convinced that 90% of people who have opinions on the RAM issue have never used an 8GM machine themselves.
I had an 8GB MacBook 13 years ago. The last computer I used with 8GB was back in 2015.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
👊🏼

I always use CMD + Q if I want to fully close an app. CMD + Tab lets you switch between apps.
There are MacOS apps out there such as 'AltTab' which will give you Alt + Tab functionality similar to Windows. I prefer the Mac ways though.

A developer issue, sadly.

Microsoft's 365 licensing plans are actually based on screen size. Some plans allow free editing on screen sizes up to 10.9 inches, and some for screen sizes up to 10.1 inches.

You may enjoy the Safari experience on Mac.. Personally I use Brave (Chromium based engine without the Google spyware), or Firefox. If you try either of those browsers, check out uBlock Origin for ad blocking.

You probably know this, but it is even better when you go to Settings > Trackpad and enable: Tap to Click.
For Secondary click try Click or Tap with Two Fingers.

Close the lid, job done.
I've got used to Window management now but I'm still trying to relearn all the keyboard shortcuts.

I didn't know that about 365. I have actually just signed up to 365 so i'll see if I can download the app on my Air now.

Safari is good enough for me. On PC i use both Edge and Firefox. I was using Firefox as my main for years but have been giving Edge a try. Thinking about going back to Firefox and I might install it on Mac too. uBlock is the first thing I do when setting up a browser. On Safari i only have Wipr because that's what I use for Safari on my iPhone.

I have enabled tap to click and it's much better :D

My Air has been going to sleep.

Reactions: Flynnsworth

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Sorry I meant an Apple silicon machine.
I haven't and if you have seen my other posts across here you'd see I say 8GB should be fine for most people. It's enough for a lot of people but for such an expensive machine that many will want to keep for 3-5 years I don't like to recommend it. Remember, I'm coming from Windows and I know MacOS is more efficient with memory management.

Flynnsworth

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2023
Edge is on Mac too now isn’t it? Sacrilege to say on a Mac forum but I’d rather use that, or even Chrome, over Safari.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I haven't and if you have seen my other posts across here you'd see I say 8GB should be fine for most people. It's enough for a lot of people but for such an expensive machine that many will want to keep for 3-5 years I don't like to recommend it. Remember, I'm coming from Windows and I know MacOS is more efficient with memory management.

My point is that if you haven't personally used an 8GB M-series machine, then, with all due respect, **** about it.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
My point is that if you haven't personally used an 8GB M-series machine, then, with all due respect, **** about it.
I'm not against people buying it but I wouldn't buy it myself or recommend it but OK lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.