Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
If you look at the prices for Dell memory upgrades for their laptops the costs are actually higher than Apple.
Yes. But the buyer has a choice to procure their own RAM. Just like I did when adding another 16GB to a Precision 5530. Dell wanted $300, I got the identical RAM module from Crucial for $109.

With Apple, the only choice is paying their price at time of sale, and you're stuck with that capacity.

No idea why you think the Dell server scenario is remotely similar to buying a Mac.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
No, it’s not different.
Apple has been using haptic trackpads since 2015 on the MacBook Pro, and since 2018 on the MacBook Air.
All Apple Silicon laptops have the haptic trackpad, including your M1.
Thanks. Odd that there's a physical click when it's powered off. Feels the same as my 2017 MBP... now I know why!

jbmelby

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
Yeah with MacOS I never ever shut down. I just close the lid and carry on. It wakes super fast like an ipad. After over 30 years windows still can’t get that right.
I never shut down my M1 iMac—only reboot it for system updates.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
I hate it on the internal trackpad. I'm forever selecting things when I type on the internal keyboard. On the other hand I always to turn it on when I'm docked and using an external keyboard a magic trackpad. I even created a shortcut to automate turning it on and off (which painfully breaks on every new version of macOS.)
Other vendors have a functionning palm detection avoiding exactly that, Apple prefers gimmicks like the haptic stuff that brings zero advantage compared to the real switches. Exactly like the apple mouse without physical switch and a capacitive left-right detection: useless gimmick with the disavantage that you can't leave your fingers resting on the mouse's surface: counter-productive technological stubbornness .

Last edited:

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Other vendors have a functionning palm detection avoiding exactly that, Apple prefers gimmicks like the haptic stuff that brings zero advantage compared to the real switches. Exactly like the apple mouse without physical switch and a capacitive left-right detection: useless gimmick with the disavantage that you can't leave your fingers resting on the mouse's surface: counter-productive technological stubbornness .
Going to have to disagree on haptic trackpad having no advantages. Being able to click anywhere on the trackpad, having different levels of clicking force, and having force click are all real advantages to the haptic clicking.

On the other hand, I don't know why palm rejection doesn't work for me. As far as I know it is supposed to be there but I don't find it effective. It might not be my palms but I'm accidentally hitting the trackpad with my thumbs.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Being able to click anywhere on the trackpad, having different levels of clicking force, and having force click are all real advantages to the haptic clicking.
Can you explain what exactly you are doing with these gimmicks, that you were not able to do without?

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
On the other hand, I don't know why palm rejection doesn't work for me. As far as I know it is supposed to be there but I don't find it effective. It might not be my palms but I'm accidentally hitting the trackpad with my thumbs.

Palm detection works perfectly well for me on my M1 MBA. I think from experimenting it works by rejecting input sensed over an area rather than a touch point, but it is less effective (more prone to error) if 'tap to click' is turned on. I always used to have tap to click turned on previously, but never needed it on the MBA.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Can you explain what exactly you are doing with these gimmicks, that you were not able to do without?
I use force click to single click and look up words. I can press anywhere on the track pad to click. Useful.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
not mine just a photo to show where.

oofkkJs.jpg

they are actually really hard to notice. i know they are there and it took a few seconds to see them. the light has to shine on the body just right. i had a hard time getting a photo of them but here you go... this was at 5x zoom on my 15 pro max lol.

xotbgtt.jpg

i only mentioned it because i noticed it. doesn't bother me at all. the laptop will soon have scuffs and marks the more i use it so no point worrying about it. i've had Macs arrive in worse condition. when i tried an Air in 2012 one came with a huge chip on the edge next to the magsafe port.

Has the unit ever been thrown down the stairs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.