Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike_Trivisonno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
Hooray! Everything is connected, migrated, and elated! The UPS gorilla/man/beast swung the box up onto his shoulders and trotted up 5 lfights like it was a box of fluffly kittens. If you work for UPS or know someone who works for UPS, you guys are like my best friends! I gave him $50.

The MacPro box weighs almost as much as the MacPro itself. It's definitely a box I will not be throwing out! lol.

The LG displays are so nice. They take up less room than the Apple displays, so I was able to fit al three AND the MacPro on my desk! Nice.

I am still waiting for my buddy to come and do the processor and memory upgrades.

Reactions: MarkC426

Mike_Trivisonno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
The box:
IMG_0972.png

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
You must feel like Xmas has come early/late... :p
Has that come from China or Texas....?

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I thought the US deliveries came from Texas.
Maybe they have run out of parts in US.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Because it's now my mission in life to evangelise this app to everyone who uses multiple displays (though you have yours all set as separate spaces), check out Menuwhere. It's the latest incarnation of the solution DejaMenu, MenuPop etc were solving.

Mike_Trivisonno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
Because it's now my mission in life to evangelise this app to everyone who uses multiple displays (though you have yours all set as separate spaces), check out Menuwhere. It's the latest incarnation of the solution DejaMenu, MenuPop etc were solving.
I will check it out.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
The Boys has apparently damaged by brain, because I saw that can of Fresca (I dont even know what it is besides a drink of some kind) and immediately wondered "is @Mike_Trivisonno a member of Church of the Collective?"

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
Menuwhere looks interesting since I have always run (3) 27" Displays as well. What I can't believe, is that someone never developed software that allows me to use a mouse in what Wacom terms "pen" mode! I still use a Wacom tablet with the old Wacom Mouse (no longer supported in new tablets) for most functions. The stylus is great for specific tasks like in Illustrator and Photoshop, but is a nightmare for navigation tasks - mouse is much faster and more accurate (for me). With Wacom I can "map" my Wacom mouse to an area on the tablet to span multiple monitors. Same thing could be done by defining an area on a desk with a 3rd party mouse, but nobody every wrote the software. Would be great for even 2 monitor setups - and people could run the mouse of their preference. Amazing that some high end mouse manufacturer never wrote that software as a selling point - I would buy it in a minute.

grahamwright1

Cancelled
Feb 10, 2008
I am getting a new Mac Pro. So freakin excited. I will post pictures of the new set up when I get it all hooked up. Woo Hoo! ???
Congratulations! I bought a 2013 cMac Pro and absolutely loved it - a real powerhouse for video editing, but it couldn't encode H265 worth a dam, so I replaced it with a M1 Mac mini, and it's been surprisingly good for editing, and flies with H265 encoding...... of course, it doesn't handle 3 monitors properly :-(

Enjoy your Mac Pro, and don't listen to the negative critics :)

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Menuwhere looks interesting since I have always run (3) 27" Displays as well. What I can't believe, is that someone never developed software that allows me to use a mouse in what Wacom terms "pen" mode! I still use a Wacom tablet with the old Wacom Mouse (no longer supported in new tablets) for most functions. The stylus is great for specific tasks like in Illustrator and Photoshop, but is a nightmare for navigation tasks - mouse is much faster and more accurate (for me). With Wacom I can "map" my Wacom mouse to an area on the tablet to span multiple monitors. Same thing could be done by defining an area on a desk with a 3rd party mouse, but nobody every wrote the software. Would be great for even 2 monitor setups - and people could run the mouse of their preference. Amazing that some high end mouse manufacturer never wrote that software as a selling point - I would buy it in a minute.
The hard part for using a mouse in pen mode is that the mouse would need a mapped, absolutely-tracked area to work in, rather than the relative tracking they normally use. Something like a Leap Motion hand tracker could probably do the job, but at that stage, you've got hand tracking, so the mouse is a bit redundant.

I used to have one of the old serial-connected A3 electrostatic surfaced Wacom tablets, flick a button and it would suck any paper you put onto it down onto the tablet like it was magnetic - darnedest thing. It let you use the pen and mouse at the same time, and have two cursors on screen, so you could grab things by multiple points.

The secret to making the stylus good for navigation is it really needs to be as close as possible to 1:1 for the size of your screen. That said, I personally believe the old serial tablets under classic MacOS did something undefinable differently (whether it's lag or what), because I used to use them all day to drive my machine with the pen, and that's never felt as comfortable under OSX.

BriSpe

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
CH
Congrats

Thinking about getting one too. I'll wait for WWDC tho and see if there will be any CPU or GPU updates, if not I will order it anyway.

Is anyone here familiar with Intels Xeon W and AMDs GPU Roadmaps (Vega in particular)? Is there a possibility for an update at WWDC?

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Congrats

Thinking about getting one too. I'll wait for WWDC tho and see if there will be any CPU or GPU updates, if not I will order it anyway.

Is anyone here familiar with Intels Xeon W and AMDs GPU Roadmaps (Vega in particular)? Is there a possibility for an update at WWDC?
I believe the W-series it released with are "last of the line" for that Socket - so no potential there for upgrades (besides buying a lower spec one, and upgrading aftermarket to one of the higher spec ones Apple offers, but cheaper).

GPUs there's more potential, but whether Apple will release new MPX versions or not remains to be seen.

Reactions: fuchsdh and BriSpe

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I have to wonder, given Apple can do more or less anything they like with Apple Silicon, if they would do something wild like make an AS processor that's socket compatible, or socket adaptable to the current MP.

DFP1989

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
I have to wonder, given Apple can do more or less anything they like with Apple Silicon, if they would do something wild like make an AS processor that's socket compatible, or socket adaptable to the current MP.
Can't see any way that would happen.

So far AS integrates key components like RAM on the SoC, and the Mac Pro motherboard has all sorts of chips and features designed to support an Intel CPUs.

It would likely be far more costly and inefficient to hack an AS chip into the existing system, than to develop an entirely new motherboard.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base

So far AS integrates key components like RAM on the SoC, and the Mac Pro motherboard has all sorts of chips and features designed to support an Intel CPUs.

It would likely be far more costly and inefficient to hack an AS chip into the existing system, than to develop an entirely new motherboard.
We would need the 2021 Version of this down below ..

So here is a shout out to all graphic content creators, - we desperately need a new logo for the name “Apple Overdrive”
Lets start a crowdfunding and a Kickstarter for the MPOM, the Mac-Pro-Overdrive-Module. :):p:p

Last edited:

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
For the life of me me I don't understand the draw of a bluetooth KB⁉️

No wires and long battery life? (yes, I know obviously wired keyboards don't need batteries at all - I'm just saying it's not like BT keyboards eat batteries, which would be a drawback)

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia

Likely, but the fact that all that stuff is integrated (or rather stacked on top of) into the processor for the mobile chips, maybe that isn't the way they'll do it for the big pro desktop chip - the Xeons don't have integrated graphics the way the desktop & mobile Core chips did, for example.

A "Pro" AS desktop that doesn't have user-upgradable ram, graphics etc is a non-starter, no matter how good the CPU is, it would literally be a step further back along the road of the 2013 trashfire.

Turning people's $10k machines into stranded assets, by releasing a radically higher performance AS machine with no upgrade path, seems like a great way to burn the bridges they've spent so long trying to rebuild.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.