Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazd

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2022
Good to know, I will cancel my order :p

How thick were they approx? Because the specs on #2 said it should be 5mm thick which is the same as the samsung display.
I can’t recall but I know the size vertically was the biggest issue, it made the bottom corners of the display prevent the case from snapping shut, even after I removed the metal housing from the display and bent/cut the frame inside of the lid to accommodate for it.

Hi DiTBho,

The IBM display seems obscure but the other ones have some detailed specs on PanelLook.com, you can use the tool to find some decent brighter xga displays that have wled backlights. Amazon has a few too that are 12.1 in and 1024x768 that would likely fit made by VSDisplay. I’ve ordered one for mine since the cathode backlight is getting very weak on mine.

LCD Cable - IBM, Apple part number922-5087
TFT Panel - IBM 03L5040 (BL P/N:03L5090)

LCD Cable - LG, Apple part number 922-5368
TFT Panel - LG LP121SA (A2QT)

LCD Cable - Samsung, Apple part number 922-4769
TFT Panel - Samsung LT121SU-123

As noted elsewhere, the commonality of displays (and matching cables) for the clamshells is Samsung was reported to be a plurality or a majority of all produced, followed by IBM, and lastly, LG.

Of the several iBook clamshells to come into my possession over the years, all but one was supplied with the Samsung combination. The other was IBM (in an indigo 366).

At least, with respect to OEM display performance, discolouration, as both backlight phosphors and anti-glare protecting laminate, plagued the Samsung displays (pinkish when display was newly powered on, yellowing in the laminate, etc.). The IBM display had an issue with occasional stuck/failed pixels appearing over time, but otherwise maintaining colour integrity and luminosity better than the Samsungs.

All LG displays I’ve used have come from post-clamshell iBooks, PowerBooks, and MacBook Pros; at minimum, these were at least XGAresolution or greater. This includes the LG XGA display which, ultimately, went into my key lime 466.

Reactions: Djakes22

DiTBho

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2023
For the sensor-pad ... I think that it should be removed, disassembled, and replaced with a laptop PC version, which behaves exactly as per the data sheet

Alternatively you have to sniff the data line, and... analyze what it throws out.

I did a similar thing for a VGA-2-USB card, and it took me about a year in my spare time ...

sircastor

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2006
I'm typing from Brazil and my dream is also to make my clamshell usable, I search the entire internet for ways to do this and my two options are to use a smartphone logic board with LOTS of adaptations or a Raspberry board with some adaptations, you actually finished this project successfully and I congratulate you for it, I hope it helps me make my dream come true. I have a question for you, could you use a logic board from the Orange Pi 5 Plus? I'm thinking about changing the screen for a 12.1-inch 1400 x 1050 resolution from the Thinkpad X60/61/62. I would definitely buy your modification projects involving the Ibook G3 Clamshell and I'm looking forward to it. Sorry if I wrote something wrong, I'm using Google translate.

I'm curious if you had gotten to this. I came across the HV121P01-101 - which I think is the display from the X61. It's dimensions are a good match for the iBook, being just a bit thicker (6.7mm vs 5.5mm for the Samsung)

There are a few posts (including here) that say this display will fit in a G4 iBook (I don't know that anyone's tried a G3 Snow iBook). It's promising. If I can manage to get my iBook working, I'm gonna give it a shot. My goal is to permanently move my iBook to modern technology, but keep the look and feel.

Reactions: lazd and B S Magnet
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.