Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
It looks neat and tidy but the same black finish as many PC cases. Perhaps a gun metal finish or some other colour would have made it stand out. As of now, it looks discreet. Unless that was your intention.

Starkoman

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2021
Regrettably, you can see where the spray paint is being scuffed off in places. 😪

I’ve tried this same method with other (less sentimentally valuable) tech kit, with poor results.

The true way to do this — with permanent effect — is anodising.

There’s a guy online who’s done a bunch of his ︎Mac Pro’s — each in a different colour — and very excellent they look too.

However, he likely either works at an anodysing shop or one of his friends do — because it isn’t cheap. I looked it up. It costs (in 🇬🇧U.K. money), approximately £450 to do each chassis.

And you have to remove everything from it that isn’t aluminium yourself beforehand.

That’s what killed the idea for me.

Sadly, spray paint isn’t ever going to be successful in the way we would hope. Annoying and depressing as that is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.