Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orange23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2020
It's easy to fall off from my ear than 2 and Pro.

My airpod 2 has smaller head to fit in my ear well; airpod pro has silicon to secure as well.

I compare airpod 3 and airpod pro side by side, it's ALMOST identical (shape/size) w/o silicon...

Apple engineers are so lazy, they assume removing silicon is just a shortcut for a new gen....what a lame?

M-1

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2010
I agree. I was really looking forward to the 3rd gen but these just feel weird and too big in the ear. Some say it fits better so it will vary between people but I do not find these comfortable. They feel too present in the ear like I have an ear plug on. Whereas with the 2nd gen, they felt light and you didn't immediately feel like you were wearing them.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I love these new 3s. But a lot of us saw trouble coming to small-eared people when we noticed that the size had grown.

The smaller AP 2s were trying to reach out to both people with small and large ears. But the smaller size didn’t work for a lot of people who had issues with them falling out. This new shape is actually more comfortable for many more people and it may have been in the plan from the very beginning.

I think Apple decided that the number of people with small ears they’d lose was very small compared to the number of new customers they’d gain with the larger more contoured fit.

This happens in business for all types of things. I’ve always felt sorry for tall men who couldn’t enjoy driving a new Mazda MX-5 or Porsche 911. If you have a body type that doesn’t fit. Sorry, you don’t fit. You just buy something different.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I’m in the opposite camp. These are a perfect fit for me. They originals also fit well but had some play bit these are absolutely perfect. They are to me the best pair of in ear headphones I’ve ever owned.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I'm not returning mine but boy do they feel big compared to gen 1/2 AirPods I'm coming from. In terms of fit and size they are definitely a step backwards. Sound quality is far, far better though.

Reactions: viss

metalsiren

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
we all have different ears and they will work for some and not others, just wished they worked for you. these are fantastic coming from the Gen2 , and the sound is even better that AirPods Pro (which for me is crazy to say)

Reactions: one more

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I wonder if the sound quality is actually much better on Gen 3, or if the deeper and more snug fit are just more perfectly channeling the sound right into the ears of people.

Reactions: baypharm

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I’m doing the same. They sound great, but they won’t stay in my ear. Apple could alleviate all these fitment issues by simply including ear wings. Currently there are none on sale at Amazon, but I’m sure they will be there in the future. When they are, I might try these again, because they do sound great. I just can’t trust them to stay in my ears.

ginhb

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2018
Experiences certainly do vary between users. The AP3's sound MUCH better in my ears than the AP2's. And the fit is absolutely perfect, which probably helps. I tried the AP Pros for a little over a week and these sound every bit as good as the Pros, without the annoying silicone tips that so many people dislike. Those silicone tips would not seal properly in both ears, no matter which size I tried. One kept coming out after a short time. These new AP3's are a VERY welcome upgrade and easily fit more securely than the AP2's. But as mentioned experiences will vary.

Reactions: one more

KindJamz

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2021
I feel the opposite. Just picked up my new gen 3. Happy with the sound quality. Better than my gen1 pods.

Fit is great. Just thrashed out to slipknot and couldn’t make one fall out. I was really trying. Great fit.

Mw0103

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2014
Unfortunately, my AirPods 3 are being returned. Gen 1 and Gen 2 fit me perfectly. I run at least 3 miles every day and never have to touch my Gen 2 AirPods. My AirPods Pro work best with Comply tips but still work themselves out of my ears when I talk or eat. I can’t run with them as I have to press them back in my ears every block or so.

The Gen 3s somehow work themselves out of my ears just sitting here. Talking on the phone with them is an absolute no-go—they both fall out of my ears almost immediately.

I’m disappointed because I really like the shorter stems and the better audio (when properly seated). I love the no-fuss aspect of the Gen 1s and Gen 2s—the pros are just not as frictionless and not as comfortable. I hope Apple is someday able to either update the Gen 1/Gen 2 earbud shape with a shorter stem and upgraded audio or develop a tipless in-ear that is customizable for fit for different size/shape ears.

I guess now I’ll be exchanging these Gen 3s for a new set of Gen 2s with wireless charging case while they’re still available.

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
I really wonder how to wear them right. Because it SEEMS the same to me.

With Airpods 1 and 2 I have the best fit for my ear. They fit "hard" and stick good in the ear. But you need some pressure and they are not as comfortable in the ear, they feel "stuck" or pressed in the ear. But they are the most secure, they rarely fall out, only when moving the masks sometimes.

Airpods Pro I bought with the idea of them fitting more comfortable but as secure because of those tips. But they fell out quite often, doesn't matter the size of the extra tip. So I had to return them unfortunately.

The same goes for the Airpods 3 unfortuantely. They are very comfortable, but very loose also, it feels like they would fall out. But strange enough they haven't yet. They feel so loose but don't fall out.

I really wonder how the Airpods should fit in peefect condition. How should you wear them. Tight and more uncomfartable but secure or more loose? Should the stem point to the bottom or more to the front? Or loose and less secure feeling but more comfortable? Would the music be heard more from the outside then, from other people around? Is there an instruction how they should be worn? Strange but interesting question imo.

I really, really, really have NO IDEA why Apple changed the shape of the Airpods 3 ear piece to the one of the AP Pro?! Now people who can't use the Pro version also can't even use the normal AP anymore. Why didn't Apple just keep the form of the AP1+2 but with shorter stem?

Now I am thinking about switching to some kind of Beats, or even Sony. But I guess they also don't fit securely. To all those here to whom the AP1+2 fit perfectly and the Pro and 3 don't, have you tried other high end products who have good sound and perfect/secure fit in the ears? :-(

Last edited:
Reactions: Canyonero

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
It really makes you wish Apple just offered both shapes (Gen 2/3) with Gen 3’s specs.

Between the 2, 3 and Pros, you should be able to cover a nice range of ear shapes.
Totally 100% agree. Why do they make almost the same product in size? Why change AP1+2 so much in size and make them a twin of the Pro? They loose many customers then and most people who fit the third Gen already switched to the Pro line probably because they fit better for them as the Gen 1+2. Who really buys the 3rd gen then? People with big ears already switched and those who haven't even after those big Pro sales are probably those like me who the Pro don't fit. Now there is no alternative anymore. I sometimes really ask myself who makes those stupid decisions. They probably loose many more customers with 3rd gen then they gain because those cheaper AP fit bigger ears now. Again, after those big Pro sales many "big ear" customers probably have already switched to the Pros.

Canyonero

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
I really wonder how to wear them right. Because it SEEMS the same to me.

With Airpods 1 and 2 I have the best fit for my ear. They fit "hard" and stick good in the ear. But you need some pressure and they are not as comfortable in the ear, they feel "stuck" or pressed in the ear. But they are the most secure, they rarely fall out, only when moving the masks sometimes.

Airpods Pro I bought with the idea of them fitting more comfortable but as secure because of those tips. But they fell out quite often, doesn't matter the size of the extra tip. So I had to return them unfortunately.

The same goes for the Airpods 3 unfortuantely. They are very comfortable, but very loose also, it feels like they would fall out. But strange enough they haven't yet. They feel so loose but don't fall out.

I really wonder how the Airpods should fit in peefect condition. How should you wear them. Tight and more uncomfartable but secure or more loose? Should the stem point to the bottom or more to the front? Or loose and less secure feeling but more comfortable? Would the music be heard more from the outside then, from other people around? Is there an instruction how they should be worn? Strange but interesting question imo.

I really, really, really have NO IDEA why Apple changed the shape of the Airpods 3 ear piece to the one of the AP Pro?! Now people who can't use the Pro version also can't even use the normal AP anymore. Why didn't Apple just keep the form of the AP1+2 but with shorter stem?

Now I am thinking about switching to some kind of Beats, or even Sony. But I guess they also don't fit securely. To all those here to whom the AP1+2 fit perfectly and the Pro and 3 don't, have you tried other high end products who have good sound and perfect/secure fit in the ears? :-(
Return them, state the reason why and write Tim Cook. That’s what I did. So disappointed.

austriak

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2011
I ended up returning my AP3 today. The fit was mostly good but I did not like the audio. The bass was really strong and it muddled the mids and highs too much.

When I went to the Apple store to return them, there were a couple other people returning them because of fit. The apple store worker that processed my return told me that they have gotten quite a bit of returns of the AP3 and that people haven't been buying them as much as when the other airpods were released.

If they work for you, I'm glad they do. I had high hopes but I'm glad my AP2 still work.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Totally 100% agree. Why do they make almost the same product in size? Why change AP1+2 so much in size and make them a twin of the Pro? They loose many customers then and most people who fit the third Gen already switched to the Pro line probably because they fit better for them as the Gen 1+2. Who really buys the 3rd gen then? People with big ears already switched and those who haven't even after those big Pro sales are probably those like me who the Pro don't fit. Now there is no alternative anymore. I sometimes really ask myself who makes those stupid decisions. They probably loose many more customers with 3rd gen then they gain because those cheaper AP fit bigger ears now. Again, after those big Pro sales many "big ear" customers probably have already switched to the Pros.

Don’t forget that the APP have the silicone in-ear tips, which is a no-go for quite a few people. So AP3 fit right in between AP1-2 and Pro.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
Apple engineers are so lazy, they assume removing silicon is just a shortcut for a new gen....what a lame?

You assume everyone has the same ear sizes like you which is why Apple is lame for not using silicone gels on the gen 3s? Ummm, I for one am very happy the new AirPods don’t have anything rubber. I can’t stand that crap. I’ve tried to wear the Pros and they felt like I had a pencil eraser inside my ears. I absolutely hated the feeling.

Not to mention the silicone gel soaks in your skin oils from your ear canals. That builds up over time to plain outright nastiness. Yuk!

This is why I’ve been hanging on to my first gen AirPods all this time. I’m super happy with my gen 3 AirPods without feeling stupid pencil eraser sensations inside my ears.

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Don’t forget that the APP have the silicone in-ear tips, which is a no-go for quite a few people. So AP3 fit right in between AP1-2 and Pro.
That might be right. I don't like those either. I know every ear is different too, like every hand, foot, human being.

But many people just don't buy AP Pro because they don't fit. For those with problems with the 1st and 2nd Gen, they had the possibility of the Pro line. Yes, ear tips, but at least they could use them and it fit. But what about all of those who can't use the Pro line and now the 3rd gen because of smaller ears? They don't even have a choice now. That is very disappointing.

I will try them till the end of the return period to see if they fall out. Burt when I chew someting quite hard they get more loose. Like the Pro line. So disappointed. Maybe I will keep my old 2nd Gen but will buy a different brand. But again, will those fit? Most have silicone tips. I don't wanna buy another 2nd Gen.

What do you guys do now when returning AP3? Anyone tried a different brand?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.