Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
That might be right. I don't like those either. I know every ear is different too, like every hand, foot, human being.

But many people just don't buy AP Pro because they don't fit. For those with problems with the 1st and 2nd Gen, they had the possibility of the Pro line. Yes, ear tips, but at least they could use them and it fit. But what about all of those who can't use the Pro line and now the 3rd gen because of smaller ears? They don't even have a choice now. That is very disappointing.

I will try them till the end of the return period to see if they fall out. Burt when I chew someting quite hard they get more loose. Like the Pro line. So disappointed. Maybe I will keep my old 2nd Gen but will buy a different brand. But again, will those fit? Most have silicone tips. I don't wanna buy another 2nd Gen.

What do you guys do now when returning AP3? Anyone tried a different brand?
For AirPods 2, I bought ear hooks. I’m going to try the same with AP3 and see if they help. I just bought these. I’ll post after I try them next week.

0s and 1s

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2004
OK, USA
My best Apple in-ear experience continues to be the wired EarPods. I wish I had that experience with a short stem and audial capabilities that the AP3 offers.

My experience with the AP3 is decent so far. They fit OK and give me the sensation that they’re about to pop out of my ears. Oh well, back to the Apple Store I go.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Still trying to get used to them after a few days……the weird thing is that my right ear hurts on and off with the AP3 and it’s mild. But then all the sudden it’ll get worse for a minute it’s just very inconsistent. The pros were instant pain in the same ear and went back right away.

I’m one of the many that the OG AirPods feel like they were made for my ears.

Apple offers about a thousand different Watch combos and bands not sure why they can’t have different size airpods without making an entirely new product.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
I just received my AirPods 3 today and they feel big! Ugh I've been waiting for these new ones with the shorter stem. Maybe I'll just give it a few days and see if I can adjust to them.

Reactions: nortonandreev

tropicalpig

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2021
Registered just to say I'm also returning mine. Was really looking forward to them too. I loved the Pros but had to return those too because the hard plastic part was causing ear pain. Sad to see them carry this design forward to the 3s. It's less severe in the 3s than the Pros, but noticeable even after 15 minutes for me.

Ordered another pair of Gen2s since the battery on my old ones are shot :confused:

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Yep, everyone's ears are different. I'm not a tiny guy - large frame, 6'3" and I have a large head with ears proportionate to my head. They're too big for me. Left one fell out while on a conference call (my v1's, I could feel when they felt loose). My right ear was pretty painful after a couple hours. I want to be able to use these all day for work if possible.

And because the seal isn't great, the sound really isn't either.

Might try the AirPods Pro - maybe the tips make a difference. Failing that, I'll likely pick up some AP2's. (my AP1's are done - they served me well - got them at launch).

Thinking the girlfriend's pair that I'm gifting her are likely to go back as well - she's tiny. We'll see.

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
I'm glad I'm not alone. On paper these AirPod 3s are a perfect combination of Pro styling and Airpod 2 fit.

But they are just too big to be comfy in my ears.

I'm actually thinking of returning them - something I have never done with an Apple product.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I'm still undecided.

For how I tend to use my Airpods, I'm now starting to wonder if the sound quality boost is mostly wasted on me..

While coming at the expense of case size, pod size, ease of pulling them out and popping into ears..

This hasn't been the clear win I was hoping for with a third gen version.

I really wish they'd stayed closer to the OG form factor.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Update - looks like the AP Pro's are going to work out for me. Swapped them to the smaller tips and they seem really good. (my ears were still sore from the AP3's - so thinking I should just hold off for a couple days to make sure the assessment is isolated) :)

My tiny girlfriend - 5' (on a good day) ;) loves her AP3's - go figure! :) She had them in pretty much all day yesterday - absolutely adores them. :)

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
It's easy to fall off from my ear than 2 and Pro.

My airpod 2 has smaller head to fit in my ear well; airpod pro has silicon to secure as well.

I compare airpod 3 and airpod pro side by side, it's ALMOST identical (shape/size) w/o silicon...

Apple engineers are so lazy, they assume removing silicon is just a shortcut for a new gen....what a lame?

I'm returning as well. The airpods wouldn't fall out but I have a sense of pain when its inside. I found the Airpods 2 really comfortable. Although I don't like the longer stick, I can accept that over the painful fit in my case.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I think I'm sending mine back today.

I'm going to stick with my AP2's for podcasts and casual YouTube audio from the iPad around the house.

I may try out the new Beats Fit Pro (essentially APP with wing-tips) to cover travel, spin bike and focused movie watching. That might be a better complement for my AP2 and give me more coverage of situations that I don't really have with the AP2 right now.

Reactions: nortonandreev

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Billions of differing ear canal shapes can’t always be catered for. They did their best, but some will always have problems.

It’s nobody’s fault, just stick to the best fitting ones, in your case being the Pros. At least one AirPods shape works for you. The real unlucky ones can’t use all 3 types & need to look elsewhere, though At least the market’s flooded with options now.

Riviera122

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2008
I'm returning mine also. So sad, they're so close to being perfect but I just don't like how the left earbud kind of hangs off my ear whenever I talk, before eventually falling out. So not a good fit in one of my ears. I waited a long time for these to come out, so definitely disappointed. But fit is everything. Buying AP2 instead.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
A lot of reviews at Best Buy and Amazon also say they are too big/falling out. I suspected this was going to be a problem when I tested my Pros sans tips and they immediately fell out. I find this to be an odd design choice by Apple. I think more people are going to have size issues than they did with AirPods 1 and 2.

Last edited:

sonstar

Suspended
Sep 13, 2021
I'm returning mine also. So sad, they're so close to being perfect but I just don't like how the left earbud kind of hangs off my ear whenever I talk, before eventually falling out. So not a good fit in one of my ears. I waited a long time for these to come out, so definitely disappointed. But fit is everything. Buying AP2 instead.
I have that problem with AP2 and left ear, right is good, so these should fit left but fall out of my right ear lol?

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
AirPods 3 doesn’t fit as well for me as gen 1/2. Unfortunately, I sold my 2nd gen ones, so I’m stuck with the new ones. On the bright side, at least they stay in my ears unlike the Pros. ? It’s good that I got the Max as well, been using them most of the time. As others have said, I wish apple could keep the AirPods 2 design with better specs but that’s that…

Reactions: turbineseaplane

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
I also returned mine and purchased the series 2. I also did a sound test between the two and I can say the sound quality is identical. So all the fluff about the sound being out of the world is not really that true. It might just be slightly better in sound quality but the earpods 3 hurt. Today I drove for 2 hours with the series 2 and it was perfect.

ginhb

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2018
I also returned mine and purchased the series 2. I also did a sound test between the two and I can say the sound quality is identical. So all the fluff about the sound being out of the world is not really that true.

Quite a few articles out there on sites such as MacWorld match my own experience after upgrading to the 3rd Generation. A very welcome improvement.

"The AirPods’ new look will be the first thing you notice, but the improved sound quality will make the most lasting impression. Apple uses a new driver in its new design, which makes a big difference to clarity and the “punch” of bass-heavy tracks. Listening to my playlist of audio test tracks—a diverse set from classical to rock, modern pop to remastered classics—is a totally different experience than it is on second-gen AirPods."

Of course we can simply dismiss every positive article by saying "It's fake, Apple pays them to say that."

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I also did a sound test between the two and I can say the sound quality is identical.

I found the AP3 to definitely sound better, particularly on tracks with some bass action.

For podcast/YouTube videos though, I found no real difference.

Ultimately none of that matters if I don't like the feeling of wearing the AP3's though

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
How long have you tried them? It takes time to adjust to the new size

Nah - not doing that routine.
This is the same thing APM evangelists say about the "head clamp" and "pain above the ears".

Apple can stick it with that.
I've used too many audio accessories over the years that are comfortable right away - and stay that way.

I'm not going to spend time to "get used to the pain" or "hope it goes away".

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
The airpods shouldn't just fall out of my ears smiling during a phone call..

The new Beats Fit will meet my needs for just $20 more

Monsterbit2021

Suspended
Nov 2, 2021
Nah - not doing that routine.
This is the same thing APM evangelists say about the "head clamp" and "pain above the ears".

Apple can stick it with that.
I've used too many audio accessories over the years that are comfortable right away - and stay that way.

I'm not going to spend time to "get used to the pain" or "hope it goes away".
I am a fan of Eljefe review on Youtube, he highly recommend the Soundcore pro 3, better than my airpod pro

Reactions: turbineseaplane
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.