Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YourGuardianAngel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2019
for security updates, IMO.

iOS 12 is great. Very fast, very stable. There aren't really that many must have features each year now, but there are always small improvements, and iOS 12 is so fast that I can't see any compelling reason NOT to update (possible exception: multitasking on iPad was way better on iOS 10. I really can't stand what they've done to it since).

I'm sorry that I was less appealed to you guy's opinions. I also respect other's ideas too! Thanks for all replies

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Not correct. I was saying that no device will work as smoothly as it does on its native iOS. iPhone 6 on iOS 8.4 is way better than iPhone 6 on iOS 12. I use it daily. No it’s not more secure but it’s more fluid and faster. Not by much but still enough. That’s why I don’t upgrade and won’t.
If you have not upgraded, how can you know that IOS 12 is not as fluid? Do you have two phones perhaps?

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Cool, so if you have things set the same, like motion and transparency and run apps side by side what are you finding. You could be our tester for actual comparisons.

It feels more fluid, responsive, but not by much. You can check youtube, as there are many videos comparing the two.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Don't update. It's not worth it. It's never worth it. Performance and batterylife issues - though now the battery life is more significantly worrying, at least on iOS 12.

Reactions: Hal~9000 and max2

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Don't update. It's not worth it. It's never worth it. Performance and batterylife issues - though now the battery life is more significantly worrying, at least on iOS 12.

‘Worth’ must be the _most_ subjective word used anytime someone voices their opinion. That said, iOS 12 has been entirely stabilized compared to iOS 11, it even focuses on helping performance with older iPhones. I would rather update and have the latest security settings, and stabilization, versus using an older version of iOS, which also leaves you open to vulnerability with your security.

Reactions: max2 and HEK

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
For heavens sake just install ios12. Why would you want to stay on an old version

Reactions: HEK

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I kept using ios 10.3.3 on all my iPhone (mine, wife and daughters). Even, I installed tvOS certificate to avoid download (and automatic install) the new version. Reasons are performance and very good in battery while still compatible with most of apps that I need.
One more thing, I just replaced the battery (6s) which return the speedy performance back.

I have an iPhone 7 Plus, 256GB Model.
I also have an ipad pro 10.5 2017 running 10.3.3

Since I got second screen replacement at August 2017, I never upgraded my iOS since.

Not only I'm used to older iOS formats, but I love the circle shaped antenna signals, and bottom dock app's name appearing.

1. If you guys were me, would you upgrade to iOS latest version?
2. which benefits can I get from both iphone and ipad with ios12 on it?

Reactions: max2

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
‘Worth’ must be the _most_ subjective word used anytime someone voices their opinion. That said, iOS 12 has been entirely stabilized compared to iOS 11, it even focuses on helping performance with older iPhones. I would rather update and have the latest security settings, and stabilization, versus using an older version of iOS, which also leaves you open to vulnerability with your security.
Agree. This topic is really subjective. Real world chances of being affected on iOS are so slim that it isn't, for me, a worthy enough reason to compel me to update. The only implication that really bothers me (I am running iOS 9 on my iPhone and iPad) is the app compatibility. On the other hand, there are too many disadvantages of updating for me to consider it.

Reactions: crf8 and max2

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
iOS 10 was a good firmware. Can't stand 11 and 12. I'd stay on 10, since your phone was the fastest phone for iOS 10. App support will be good for another year then will dwindle.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Still on 10.3.3 here too. I've deleted so many forced download updates, that now every one is like a gas station on Kramer's test drive.
Might be better off installing a tvOS profile to avoid the update download/prompts.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
There’s no reason to upgrade if you like what you’re looking at and you don’t mind knowing that you could be subjected to serious security flaws.

For what it’s worth, I think that iOS 12 is an upgrade in speed and efficiency.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
there's never been a "serious security flaw" on iOS ever. The scaremongering of updating because of security issues is just that. Everyone is just parroting everyone else. Using old iOS versions is perfectly safe.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
there's never been a "serious security flaw" on iOS ever. The scaremongering of updating because of security issues is just that. Everyone is just parroting everyone else. Using old iOS versions is perfectly safe.
There haven't been serious flaws that could be exploited in one way or another? Or there haven't been serious flaws that have resulted in widespread exploitation that has been widely reported on and discussed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.