Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfannorth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2022
The battery life on my X is very disappointing. I’m often left with just 50% battery by the time I get to work. It gets very warm as well, so I’m thinking of upgrading to a 13. However, I’m worried about the build quality wont live up to my X.

I absolutely love the stainless steel on my X. It’s so durable and nice to hold without a case. The 13 is definitely a huge upgrade, but I can’t help but feel it’s a downgrade in terms of form? Those of you who have upgraded, are you satisfied, or not?

I did have my heart set on the 13 Pro, but it’s more expensive (£45 a month for 24 months vs £35 a month for 24 months. Would compromising and choosing function over form be the most sensible option?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I had Apple replace the battery in my X last year and it's been great on iOS15.. I was contemplating replacing it with a 13 ProMax before the battery replacement but I decided to wait another year to see what the 14 ProMax brings to the table. Regardless, the X will become my backup device and will do so until it breaks..

Reactions: Fozamo

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
I like the response from @BugeyeSTI above - a battery replacement may be the best option for you. However, be assured, in build quality the 13 is at least the equal of the X if you should want to go that route. The build quality of the 13 is better, in my opinion, than either the 8 Plus or 2016 SE that I previously owned; and 8 Plus is the same gen as the X.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
A battery replacement is also pretty cheap, too.

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 2.31.07 PM.png

macfannorth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2022
Thanks everyone. I've heard from others who have gone the battery replacement route that the gains aren't that good, especially with iOS 15 being more resource-intensive. I'm currently on 90% capacity.

I think I'm edging more towards trading in my X for a 13. Cheers for the reassurance.

Reactions: Mark Stone

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
3 months to September, should really wait for the iPhone 14 series to drop, if nothing entice you, there should still be a price drop on the 13 series.
I think it’s been established that there will be no numerical price drop on the 13 due to inflation. The 14 will be more expensive whereas the 13’s price will remain as is.

Reactions: Mark Stone

IsaacM

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
If you don't use your phone for professional reasons like social media content creation and you still love your X, just replace the battery. It will feel like a new phone.

Neil Harrison

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2020
The battery life on my X is very disappointing. I’m often left with just 50% battery by the time I get to work. It gets very warm as well, so I’m thinking of upgrading to a 13. However, I’m worried about the build quality wont live up to my X.

I absolutely love the stainless steel on my X. It’s so durable and nice to hold without a case. The 13 is definitely a huge upgrade, but I can’t help but feel it’s a downgrade in terms of form? Those of you who have upgraded, are you satisfied, or not?

I did have my heart set on the 13 Pro, but it’s more expensive (£45 a month for 24 months vs £35 a month for 24 months. Would compromising and choosing function over form be the most sensible option?

I have had X, 11 pro, 12 pro and 13 pro and I can tell you build quality is not an issue, if anything it is better

Reactions: SuperCachetes

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
go with an apple battery though, not third party. my XS battery was showing as below 80% so had it replaced but the apple authorised repair shop did a hard sell on me (or i was too soft) that it was quicker and cheaper to take their battery than it was to wait for them to get an apple one in. you cant see the battery info on 3rd party but my impression is it doesnt last noticeably longer than the old one.

mickf

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2010
I had a similar problem earlier this year. I had an XR but the battery was getting worse by the day. It had started switching itself off at around 50%. I asked about a replacement battery but they wouldn't/ couldn't guarantee that it would fix the problem. I was trying to wait for the 14's before replacing the phone but it came down to spend £69 for a, possible, fix or take £180 trade in toward a new phone. I got a 13 Pro, like every new iphone I've ever had it's much better than the old one.

jabbawok

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2004
Worcestershire
I think it’s been established that there will be no numerical price drop on the 13 due to inflation. The 14 will be more expensive whereas the 13’s price will remain as is.
I doubt that very much. The build cost drops significantly a year down the line and the reduced demand for previous generation phone means there has to be a significant saving. Also Apple make some of the bigest margins of any phone manufacturer, so they’ve room to absorb some of the increases in component costs.

aenflex

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
FL, USA
As someone who recently upgraded from 11P to 13P, I’d recommend waiting for the 14. This is relatively subjective, however. I’m not really blown away by anything 13P has brought to the table as compared to my 11P, or even my husband’s XR. I think the camera system is arguably worse than my 11P, and I even prefer the crisp, natural colors and appearance of the photos taken with the XR over those taken with the 13P.

As far as speed, I don’t find a appreciable difference between these three phones, and in some cases my 11P seems faster. This of course applies to daily use; surfing the web, watching videos, using maps, etc.

Also, the price of 13 should drop when 14 is released, so at the very least you could save some money. And wait and see if Apple is going to add a toggle for all of their ridiculous, involuntary image post-processing..

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I doubt that very much. The build cost drops significantly a year down the line and the reduced demand for previous generation phone means there has to be a significant saving. Also Apple make some of the bigest margins of any phone manufacturer, so they’ve room to absorb some of the increases in component costs.
Apple are not reducing the price of their MacBook range after the release of the M2 chip. The new MBA will come in at $1250 with the 2020 MBA remaining at $999 — same deal with their MBP 2020/22. As far as I am being lead to believe, the same is planned for their iPhone product lines.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
13 build quality is excellent, it’s harking back to the 4/4S days, and refreshingly light too compared to the pros. However it is late in the cycle so might as well wait for the 14, even if it’s not gonna be that much different

jabbawok

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2004
Worcestershire
Apple are not reducing the price of their MacBook range after the release of the M2 chip. The new MBA will come in at $1250 with the 2020 MBA remaining at $999 — same deal with their MBP 2020/22. As far as I am being lead to believe, the same is planned for their iPhone product lines.
Be interesting to see. Do you thing a base spec 14pro will be $100 more than the 13pro was. Cause the 13pro was cheaper than the 12Pro. I’m pretty sure my payments were less when I upgraded.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Be interesting to see. Do you thing a base spec 14pro will be $100 more than the 13pro was. Cause the 13pro was cheaper than the 12Pro. I’m pretty sure my payments were less when I upgraded.
Yes, the speculation is that the 14 Pro will be at least $100 more than the current 13 Pro. The 13 line will remain at the current price with no reduction or increase as abnormally high inflation will take the place of Apple’s usual price reduction.

TKSX

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2021
I known a couple of people upgraded their X to iphone 12 Pro / 13 Pro. Both of them are happy with their decision.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
My employer just upgraded my 11 to a 13 and its fantastic. I am looking to finally retire my XS for my personal line. I have 85% battery health with about 600 cycles, I think its finally time.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
The build quality of the 13s is fine. You’ll still get the glossy back. The 13 doesn’t feel hollow at all and the aluminium chassis looks and feels better than the stainless steel one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.