Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
Remember the iPhone 14 gets big size phones for non pro models and they should be cheaper than the pro models.

asus389

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2019
USA
If you are really in love with the X form factor, apple has a bunch of refurb 11 Pros on their site right now. Its the same form factor as the X, but with much upgraded internals and camera.

Reactions: Wackery and Fozamo

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yes, the speculation is that the 14 Pro will be at least $100 more than the current 13 Pro. The 13 line will remain at the current price with no reduction or increase as abnormally high inflation will take the place of Apple’s usual price reduction.

I’ll be surprised if the retail price for the old phone doesn’t come down but not shocked. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the amount of people upgrading this year drops off significantly too. Let’s face it, the cost of living is huge and a phone upgrade might not be a lot of peoples priority. Apple keeping the price high might just help people decide to hang onto their iPhone 11’s and 12’s a bit longer.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I’ll be surprised if the retail price for the old phone doesn’t come down but not shocked. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the amount of people upgrading this year drops off significantly too. Let’s face it, the cost of living is huge and a phone upgrade might not be a lot of peoples priority. Apple keeping the price high might just help people decide to hang onto their iPhone 11’s and 12’s a bit longer.
I think that given the 13 and the 14 are, as close as makes no difference, the same phone, they can’t really reduce the price of one and increase the price of the other.

Manufacturing costs may be down as next to no R&D would have been required for the 14 so you may be right insofar they could apply a minor price reduction and keep the 14 at the current price of the 13.

I just consider the real inflation figure to be so high, much higher than the government’s figure, that Apple have no choice but to increase the price of the new model. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
Thanks everyone. I've heard from others who have gone the battery replacement route that the gains aren't that good, especially with iOS 15 being more resource-intensive. I'm currently on 90% capacity.

I think I'm edging more towards trading in my X for a 13. Cheers for the reassurance.
If your battery is on 90% capacity, it’s getting hot and at 50% before you get to work, something tells me the battery itself isn’t the issue

Muttznuttz

macrumors member
May 21, 2014
London
If your battery is on 90% capacity, it’s getting hot and at 50% before you get to work, something tells me the battery itself isn’t the issue
This is great advice. Why don’t you try to reset / set up the device as new and try it out for a few days and see if the problem persists. Eliminating a rogue app or process causing the drain and heat issues.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I think that given the 13 and the 14 are, as close as makes no difference, the same phone, they can’t really reduce the price of one and increase the price of the other.

Manufacturing costs may be down as next to no R&D would have been required for the 14 so you may be right insofar they could apply a minor price reduction and keep the 14 at the current price of the 13.

I just consider the real inflation figure to be so high, much higher than the government’s figure, that Apple have no choice but to increase the price of the new model. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

I certainly hope they do apply a decrease of some sort. Apple have enormous margins on their products and they could absorb a certain percentage of the increases, but I wouldn’t be shocked if they don’t either. People will say ‘they are a business’, ‘they owe you nothing’, or ‘leave my beloved Apple alone’ etc etc. it would just be nice to see a bit of restraint from these mammoth companies gouging consumers for a change.

The 12, 13 and 14 are very close in terms of performance and if Apple does increase costs, I may evaluate whether to upgrade at all. I paid £849 for my iPhone 12 in 2020 and swore I’d never pay that much for a phone again. Using my iPhone 11 I have for work really highlighted how little difference I notice and at this rate I may be looking at a battery replacement instead. I thought at least this year I could consider a 13 Pro and it would feel a bit like an upgrade, but if the price remains at £999, they can run and jump lol.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I wouldn’t upgrade to the 13 just because of battery life. I upgraded to the iPhone 12 mini because my iPhone X was slow. I had just changed the battery and nothing helped with the huge lag problem.

Reactions: Barbareren

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
I think it’s been established that there will be no numerical price drop on the 13 due to inflation. The 14 will be more expensive whereas the 13’s price will remain as is.

Established by whom? Until Apple announces it its anyone's guess.....

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
I have an iPhone X with a newly replaced battery and I also own a 13 Pro, both on IOS 15.5. Battery life on the X is just fine and almost as good as the 13.

On the other hand, 13 Pro has a significantly better camera but otherwise X is still a perfectly okay phone.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I have an iPhone X with a newly replaced battery and I also own a 13 Pro, both on IOS 15.5. Battery life on the X is just fine and almost as good as the 13.

On the other hand, 13 Pro has a significantly better camera but otherwise X is still a perfectly okay phone.
My XS is still a good phone as well. Serves its purpose just right.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I would never doubt iPhone's build quality... They are as tough as it gets.

Not always they aren't, the iPhone 4 home button would fail with regularity, and the iPhone 5 power button would fail. The ear piece speaker in my XR seems quieter then when it was new. My 6S though had zero issues.
But compared to other phones they are fairly good.

jabbawok

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2004
Worcestershire
Yes, the speculation is that the 14 Pro will be at least $100 more than the current 13 Pro. The 13 line will remain at the current price with no reduction or increase as abnormally high inflation will take the place of Apple’s usual price reduction.
What do I win? I suppose with insane inflation now it’s almost a drop in price.

Reactions: Andeddu

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
What do I win? I suppose with insane inflation now it’s almost a drop in price.
You’re right, it’s a bigger drop in price than a mere $100 when inflation is taken into account. I live in the UK where prices have sadly remained the same which is very disappointing. The new Pro is £150 more than the 13 Pro on release too. Looks like Apple are unwilling to have inflation eat into their profits.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Not really anymore tbh
It is a good phone. There isn’t much the XS can’t do that a 14 Pro can when it comes to daily use. Everything is slightly better on the 14 Pro along with Dynamic Island, which I love, but is probably just a gimmick much like the MacBook Pro Touch Bar.

jabbawok

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2004
Worcestershire
You’re right, it’s a bigger drop in price than a mere $100 when inflation is taken into account. I live in the UK where prices have sadly remained the same which is very disappointing. The new Pro is £150 more than the 13 Pro on release too. Looks like Apple are unwilling to have inflation eat into their profits.
I thought the 13pro and 14pro are the same launch price in the UK. I’m on the upgrade program and the payments are actually slightly less on the 14pro though I can’t remember if I had AppleCare or AppleCare+

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I thought the 13pro and 14pro are the same launch price in the UK. I’m on the upgrade program and the payments are actually slightly less on the 14pro though I can’t remember if I had AppleCare or AppleCare+
The launch price of the 13 Pro in the UK was £949 whereas the price of the 14 Pro is £1099. They’re not even close.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.