Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maddison_lewis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2022
Hello, I was planning yesterday to buy an apple watch with the Pride sports loop, because I love the color and I support pride not that I am gay. But almost all my friends disagreed to the idea and I'm worried that some people might not like it. I personally love it and want to buy it. What should I do??

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
Mate, it's your watch wrapped around your own wrist that you purchased with your own money.

Life is way too short to care that much about what other people think. You do what you feel like.

If someone stops associating with you over a watch band, then you're lucky because you shouldn't have been close to that sort of person in the first place.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
...I'm worried that some people might not like it...
Why won't they like you wearing it? Why does it matter if they don't? Only you know the answers to these questions, so I'm not going to really provide much of an answer. But I agree that if wearing a certain watch band is going to cause problems with a person in your life, then you should re-evaluate whether that person is worth having in your life.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I love the pride color band, but agree with you that I’m iffy about buying it.
Went with a different colored band instead. No hate, just eh… marketing works and crazy to think the marketing is enough to steer people away from it.

I’ve heard of people steering away from the unity band simply because it supports black history.

Again, labels and marketing is a mutha—-.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Hello, I was planning yesterday to buy an apple watch with the Pride sports loop, because I love the color and I support pride not that I am gay. But almost all my friends disagreed to the idea and I'm worried that some people might not like it. I personally love it and want to buy it. What should I do??
I have the woven Pride band. I think it's a really nice band. The mix of fibers matches everything. I don't care what others might think.

highdefjunkie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2010
Chicago
Mate, it's your watch wrapped around your own wrist that you purchased with your own money.

Life is way too short to care that much about what other people think. You do what you feel like.

If someone stops associating with you over a watch band, then you're lucky because you shouldn't have been close to that sort of person in the first place.
Agreed! Very well said.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
I get your hesitancy, I guess a lot depends on the company you keep or the community you live in and how likely it is you'll get pushback...and on how thick your skin is. I live in a metropolitan area, but in a bordering-on-rural area, and I have only gotten compliments on it. I don't think anyone here could give you definitive direction on this.

Reactions: Southernguy

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
I have the woven Pride band. I think it's a really nice band. The mix of fibers matches everything. I don't care what others might think.

Setting aside the discussion of pride and symbolism and all...this is the most amazing-looking band Apple does. I just washed mine this morning, it's drying now, but it's my daily band and the single piece of personal wear that gets the most compliments out in the world.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012

You’re only supporting apple. Get what you like and don’t worry about what someone else thinks.

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I am an out lesbian so wearing it is not a big deal to me one way or the other. I don't like the new nike ones with writing on them but that is just not my style -not because of the colors. But if you are concerned with assumptions that might be wrong -or if someplace where being lgbtq is dangerous -then that is certainly something not to take lightly. People make assumptions all the time on all sorts of things (look at the threads where people are getting worked up over the size of the watch on other people's wrists for example). Generally if you like something then go for it -but it can be actually dangerous to be out or thought of as out in some places.

fixative_XYZ

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2022
As others have said, it's yr money. There are worse things in life to be compared to than a gay person.

Side note: I'm queer as hell & I bought the black Nike one because it's more subtle. (The white sport loop one saying "pride" felt tacky to me...) It's easily my favourite band so far, but I've only had an Apple Watch since March this year.

FattiesGoneWild

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2019
Isn’t it sad you are labeled for liking the band? My sister really likes the band but she’s not gay and don’t want the label that goes with that band.

Reactions: Southernguy

fran24

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2022
I think it depends on where you live.
I've seen loads of people with pride bands and no one cares if they are gay or not

SusieS

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2018
If you like it, and would not be in danger of being assaulted just for wearing it, I say wear it and be happy. I’m fortunate to live in an area that values equality and inclusivity. I’ve lost both breasts to cancer, and I don’t wear prostheses, so when I’m out running errands in my sweats, with my short hair and no jewelry or makeup, I’m gonna bet some people assume I’m trans. That’s fine, I’m not offended if they do; the rainbow watchband on my wrist makes ME happy, and that’s all that counts. Life really is too short to care what others think of our appearance…don’t deprive yourself of joy wherever you find it ❤️

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I occasionally wear a Pride band because I like the colors, but would not wear the current Pride sport loop because I am not interested in making a statement. The current Pride sport loop literally has a statement written on it ("Pride").
I am not gay, but my brother is gay, as if that makes any difference.
However, people should do whatever they like for whatever reasons they like, as long as it is not hurtful to others. Other people may notice but most don't really care.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.