Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Hello, I was planning yesterday to buy an apple watch with the Pride sports loop, because I love the color and I support pride not that I am gay. But almost all my friends disagreed to the idea and I'm worried that some people might not like it. I personally love it and want to buy it. What should I do??
What do you think you should do?

Reactions: Southernguy

NARadyk

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2021
UK
First of all, thank you for supporting the community! (Assuming you’re not part of it) and even as someone that is, I feel your concern but not because I am scared of people thinking or assuming my sexuality but because bullying and violence still unfortunately exists enough to be cautious of things like this.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
This thread is exactly why these kinds of campaigns are needed so much in modern society.

We have people who enjoy the design but fear wearing it in case of being labelled or attacked.

These feelings and those prejudices are what groups of people feel and experience daily with no real option to escape it.

I, myself am heterosexual, but I do still have a variety of pride support clothes and items etc.

Rainbow laces for sports is common here, I also wear a hoodie with the rainbow, watch straps, etc. Partially because I like the design, but also because despite occasional comments or questions, it is important to show support against prejudice.

Gadger Snr

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
I've just bought the Pride braided loop, I'm a 57-year male. I just love the colours, I am not bothered what people think, likewise when other people wear them I am not bothered what their situation is. I'm not gay, but that's irrelevant. Like it just wear it.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I'm worried that some people might not like it. I personally love it and want to buy it. What should I do??
The first question I would ask, is, how old are you? If you’re still in high school and you have to deal with other kids picking on you well then you have to make your own choices about that.

If you’re a grown adult with a job and you’re paying for your own stuff then I’m not sure why you’re asking this question. I’m really not sure what your question is. I’m not gay either but if I want to wear whatever it’s my choice. That’s the cool thing about being an adult.

Are you worried about what potential dates might think? I think if you’re confident with what you’re doing it’s not an issue.

Are you asking if this is somehow a social no, no? I am pretty sure it’s not.

Reactions: Southernguy

Southernguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2015
Hampshire
Buy it, rock it and enjoy it. I have one and i wear it when i want and my sexuality is my own business. I’m pretty sure friends are meant to support, make you the best version of yourself and not judge? And “worry that people might not like it”? Why? Who cares….

It’s a watch strap, not confirmation of who you are.

Buy it if YOU like it and can afford it, I’m sure it’ll look amazing on you. ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍🤎

Reactions: YaShiMo

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Love it with all the colors, but the braided loop is the most expensive useless thing I bought from Apple.
OMG, I had to go check it out and recall what the braided solo loop looks like. I can see why many people like it. It does have a certain appeal. Back in my younger years, I didn’t mind the colors of the rainbow flag. I even had rainbow flags sticking out of my dorm bed posts which another queer friend teased me about how I had rainbow flags everywhere. These days, actually, I kinda hate the gaudy rainbow flag — LOL. And yes, queer as can be I am. But nevertheless I can see the appeal of the Pride braided solo loop. But yeah boy is it expensive at $100 a pop.

More aside: sometimes I wonder if they could redesign the pride flag so that colors have a smoother gradient transition rather than abruptly move from one color to the other. It’s the abrupt transition of colors that I don’t like any more. Oh well…. neither here nor there :)

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
I don't understand why colors should be connected to a certain community or gender etc. I do have shirts in pink. I do love blue color. Rainbow is a beautiful pattern but why media and everyone made it like it belong to Pride? Colors belong to everyone on this universe. Even Apple named "pride" for their band series. I do think that it is ridiculous. Why couldn't they just connect it to one of the most beautiful Apple logos? Pride flag should have seven colors in VIBGYOR and in that order. Apple solo loop is just a multicoloured band. But they have decided to put a Pride stamp on it. Let people buy and wear whatever color they want. Why to associate them with a particular gender or group or religion or land?
apple-logo-rainbow.jpg

• Love
Reactions: jaymc and addamas

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
I don't understand why colors should be connected to a certain community or gender etc. I do have shirts in pink. I do love blue color. Rainbow is a beautiful pattern but why media and everyone made it like it belong to Pride? Colors belong to everyone on this universe. Even Apple named "pride" for their band series. I do think that it is ridiculous. Why couldn't they just connect it to one of the most beautiful Apple logos? Pride flag should have seven colors in VIBGYOR and in that order. Apple solo loop is just a multicoloured band. But they have decided to put a Pride stamp on it. Let people buy and wear whatever color they want. Why to associate them with a particular gender or group or religion or land?
View attachment 2110395

While I agree with almost everything you've said, I don't there's anything wrong with the most valuable company in the world taking a decisive stand to support a community that's been marginalised and persecuted for ages.

If we lived in an ideal world where there were no evils and everyone was treated equally, I'd be with you. But considering the volatile state of socio-political issues around the world right now, Apple exclusively releasing a Pride band is not a bad thing at all.

Also consider the positive implications of the fact that despite having a deep history tied to those rainbow colors, Apple is actively choosing to associate the same thing with a social cause instead of being wrapped up within their own image.

Even if Apple is did this as a pure marketing gimmick, it's still an empathetic gesture that can mean something to a person who's finally decided to come to terms with & be proud of who they really are. It's called the pride flag for a reason.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
View attachment 2110395
I think there's some truth to this. My work e-mail program lets me choose color schemes, including some "Pride" color schemes with nice gradients. It's weird to have to make that choice to get a gradient, even if I very much support Pride generally. Even stranger is that when I clicked on a particular color scheme I liked, it came with a large additional label that said "Lesbian"! This of course means that anyone who knows that e-mail program (as all of my coworkers do) would know that I chose the "Lesbian" label if I used that gradient. This is really strange. I'm a dude! What signal would I inadvertently be sending if I chose a gradient so conspicuously identified as a "Lesbian" gradient?

Apple does that much better, but there is a notion out there (which goes to OP's concern) that various color schemes will be taken by some to mean something you don't intend. Although Pride is great and very important, someone should be able to choose a rainbow option a bit more freely than they might feel comfortable doing now.

Panties Hank

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2022
I wear pride bands all the time. I live in an unfortunately right leaning area. The few times that people have said something to me I’ve responded with “Found the chromophobe!” Nothing better than their triggered reaction of “I don’t hate the gays!” being met with “I didn’t say that. Guilty conscious? I said chromophobe, fear of colors you fool. Never seen such a soft snow flake triggered by so little.” Provocative, disarming, and makes the point.

• Angry
Reactions: jaymc and Kitkat52

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hello, I was planning yesterday to buy an apple watch with the Pride sports loop, because I love the color and I support pride not that I am gay. But almost all my friends disagreed to the idea and I'm worried that some people might not like it. I personally love it and want to buy it. What should I do??
No judgement from me, but it really depends on how much you care if a stranger might think you are gay. Of course you can get a second watch band for situations where you might care.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City

You can always play ignorant and pretend that you though that this band was the tribute to Apple's original colors which is very similar to the gay flag.

Panties Hank

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2022
If all the straighties are wearing pride bands, how on earth are we gays to know who we can flirt with?! C'mon!!! :cool:
If ugly, by my subjective opinion, women who I’m not attracted to can be allowed to flirt with me then why can’t hot and ugly men that I’m also not attracted to flirt with me? Is flirting with me off limits just because the reason for my lack of attraction is based on a different merit (sex vs. facial symmetry, shape, and body type)? I’m also not attracted to “hot” women with over the top and narcissistic personalities, but they’re allowed to flirt me too. The world would be an isolating place if the only people who are allowed to flirt with you are those who preemptively know you are in fact attracted to them.

Dear gay men. Feel free to flirt with me whenever you want. I’m not that great looking to begin with so I could use the rare occurrences of flattery and compliment anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.