Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

RRPC

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2020
You have to so

You have to solder both ends :) The 3.3V cable connects to the rightmost PIN on your extension board adapter slot. Somewhere are pictures how to solder that one correctly ....
if you mean. read my tutorial.. yes indeed I have done so, also I did do extra investigation on how to connect, and hook all up.
I'm thinking about to de solder the connector on the old Bluetooth card and put it on the new adapter board. so the connector Just slide on.

as I have no purpose for the old Bluetooth board.

merci for the wiring diagram.

Reactions: ZenSurfeur

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
Those
I replaced my BCM94360CD with a BCM943602CDP to try to get Apple watch to unlock under Catalina. Both Catalina and Mojave recognize it as supporting BT4.1 now, but it won't pair anything under either. It does not see the wireless keyboard while in pairing mode, and although my AirPods show, they then fail to pair. The Magic Mouse shows under devices after connecting to the charging cable, but then won't connect wirelessly either.

At first I thought the BT antenna might be poorly connected, so I tried reconnecting it; it was seated tightly though I removed and reconnected, but still no joy. Then tried a totally different antenna with same results. BTW, I'm using J3 for the BT antenna, which is how I had it connected with the other card.

I'm certain the adapter and antennas are good, for the BCM94360CD board worked without this issue. Did I get a bad board, or is there something I'm missing?

I also tried booting it to Bootcamp Win10 to see if I could get better results there, though it did not find drivers and I'm not sure how to locate those. The board is recognized as a "BCM2045A0" under device manager, though without working drivers Win10 does not provide BT ability.

Any thoughts on what to try next would be appreciated. In case it matters, the machine in question is "Scooby" (see signature), and I did try restarting and resetting the PRAM.

Here's what I see from within Mojave:
Another non working hardware item, these cards are available with BT 4.1 and 4.2, you need a working one with 4.2. Normally i send broken pieces just back to the seller without posting. I do not get why we have to discuss every failing graphics card and now a broken BT card? You have already proven your setup as working properly, what do you expect now? A magic patch bringing functionality back and offering BT 4.2?

Edit:
Sorry, but we clutter all threads with discussions about hardware problems - the substantial on topic posts get hidden under a pile of white noise.

How can we stop this? I am on my way out of this.

Last edited:

BadBiscuit

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2020
Washington, USA
Those

Another non working hardware item, these cards are available with BT 4.1 and 4.2, you need a working one with 4.2. Normally i send broken pieces just back to the seller without posting. I do not get why we have to discuss every failing graphics card and now a broken BT card? You have already proven your setup as working properly, what do you expect now? A magic patch bringing functionality back and offering BT 4.2?

Edit:
Sorry, but we clutter all threads with discussions about hardware problems - the substantial on topic posts get hidden under a pile of white noise.

How can we stop this? I am on my way out of this.
I'm sorry you consider this noise, but at least I got the post in the correct thread. :)

I do appreciate your conclusion this is defective hardware, for I have reached the same. Only wish the seller agreed. When I posted I was not there yet, and was not expecting a fix for broken hardware, only suggestions of due diligence in troubleshooting it so as not to return as bad if it is not. I'm sure these cards can be faulty, but it seems less likely as opposed to defective GPUs and the like where heat can kill, and does.

Reactions: Ausdauersportler

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
I'm sorry you consider this noise, but at least I got the post in the correct thread. :)

I do appreciate your conclusion this is defective hardware, for I have reached the same. Only wish the seller agreed. When I posted I was not there yet, and was not expecting a fix for broken hardware, only suggestions of due diligence in troubleshooting it so as not to return as bad if it is not. I'm sure these cards can be faulty, but it seems less likely as opposed to defective GPUs and the like where heat can kill, and does.
I’m sorry. Having a hard week and sometimes the horses are gone...

Unfortunately I found out the existence of this 4.1 version after I wrote the the first post about this. I do not know how to make sure in advance to get the correct version - most sellers are not aware of the difference...

Had once a BT dead 94360CD from China in May, got a replacement after 8 weeks ;-)

Last edited:

BadBiscuit

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2020
Washington, USA
I’m sorry. Having a hard week and sometimes the horses are gone...

Unfortunately I found out the existence of this 4.1 version after I wrote the the first post. I do not know how to make sure in advance to get the correct version - most sellers are not aware of the difference...

Had a BT dead 94360CD from China in May, got a replacement after 8 weeks ;-)
No worries. Your knowledge of upgrading these iMacs is highly respected, so an honor you just respond to me at all.

Not sure if this is an indicator, but the BCM943602CDP I had was APN: 653-00005, and reported as BT 4.1. That seller accepted the return so on its way back. I doubt if that alone was the issue, and more likely it was just defective.

I see other sellers listing these with APN: 653-00011, but not specifying the BT version. I may try one of those. Only the OSXWiFi kits with the BCM943602CDP specify that they are BT 4.2, though priced at double or triple the price, and not wanting this upgrade that much.

Based on those that have Catalina unlocking do we know that was only with BT 4.2? I did read through all the pages in this thread and only saw it mentioned a BCM943602CDP card was required. Although BT 4.2 has features I would like, my main concern is that it unlocks with a S4 watch.

For now I stay with my BCM94360CD card and run Mojave, which works well.

Reactions: Rendell001

George Colgrove

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2020
I finally got my iMac 2011 (iMac12,1) to work nicely. I replaced the CPU with a i7 2600S 2.8GHz; added memory for a total of 20Gb; replaced the HDD with a 1Tb SSD; replaced the GPU with a NVIDIA K2100M and I replaced the Bluetooth and WiFi with a OSXWiFi Broadcom BCM94360CD - 802.11 A/B/G/N/AC with Bluetooth 4.0.

I used these instructions to flash the GPU, and to install Catalina.

This video was helpful as well:

I didn't need to do the Audio Device Fix. The AutoPlay and Restart from Sleep was working on my Mac. I skipped the step for Fix Wake From Sleep.

To get Handoff and Continuity to work, I used this fix:

I had to reboot the Mac. Then I signed out of, and signed back into iCloud. I rebooted again and Handoff and Continuity worked flawlessly. Also Watch Unlock worked as well - once I was logged in (for unlocking settings.)

I used these suggestions to make the OpenCore startup start the Mac without any interaction.

Remaining problems:

Watch Unlock doesn't work to get into the Mac - though the message shows up and disappears at login.

I can begin the SideCar process to use my iPad Pro 12.9" (3rd gen) as a second screen, but the iPad is blank. I need to use a cable to get it to work this far.

The iMac is very usable and can interact with my other devices nicely. If I can get SideCar to work, that would be a bonus.

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
I finally got my iMac 2011 (iMac12,1) to work nicely. I replaced the CPU with a i7 2600S 2.8GHz; added memory for a total of 20Gb; replaced the HDD with a 1Tb SSD; replaced the GPU with a NVIDIA K2100M and I replaced the Bluetooth and WiFi with a OSXWiFi Broadcom BCM94360CD - 802.11 A/B/G/N/AC with Bluetooth 4.0.

I can begin the SideCar process to use my iPad Pro 12.9" (3rd gen) as a second screen, but the iPad is blank. I need to use a cable to get it to work this far.

The iMac is very usable and can interact with my other devices nicely. If I can get SideCar to work, that would be a bonus.
SideCar needs HEVC encoding/decoding which you may get with really modern Intel CPUs or probably by using an AMD Polaris GPU. But you will not get it done with your current hardware setting using an Nvidia card. You may search the Internet for a second opinion on this.

Reactions: George Colgrove

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
This should be an easy question :)

I understand everything I need to do this update to my Late 2009 27" iMac i7-860.

However, I don't understand how to get the required 5V power with a wire as shown circled in green below. Obviously this needs to attach to my logic board, but I'm unclear on where/how.
5V power.png

Also, when using the BCM94360CD, will I need all 4 antenna connections? Current iMac is of course using two for the existing Wi-Fi antennae, and one for the Bluetooth antenna near the top center of the chassis. What is the 4th antenna connection for?

Ausdauersportler

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2019
This should be an easy question :)

I understand everything I need to do this update to my Late 2009 27" iMac i7-860.

However, I don't understand how to get the required 5V power with a wire as shown circled in green below. Obviously this needs to attach to my logic board, but I'm unclear on where/how.
View attachment 966946

Also, when using the BCM94360CD, will I need all 4 antenna connections? Current iMac is of course using two for the existing Wi-Fi antennae, and one for the Bluetooth antenna near the top center of the chassis. What is the 4th antenna connection for?
3x Wifi, 1x BT, you can buy a WiFi single additional antenna or you just connect the two of your iMac to channel 0 and 1.
I am sure somebody had written this before, read this not so long thread to gather all possibilities...

Last edited:
Reactions: BeatCrazy

Allistah

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
Hey all --

This upgrade while it seems simple, there sure is a lot of informations spread out all over the place which makes it ultimately confusing to try and follow. I have a mid-2011 27" iMac and I'd like to upgrade it. It looks like some web sites are sending another bluetooth antenna (antenna wire that goes to an antenna board) along with a power cable. Then some other places don't send a power cable.

I'm a do it yourself type.. I've already upgraded the video card in this machine to a K4100M. How do I know if I need a power cable or not for this Bluetooth card? Does it depend on the card? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

Reactions: Aesthetica

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Hey all --

This upgrade while it seems simple, there sure is a lot of informations spread out all over the place which makes it ultimately confusing to try and follow. I have a mid-2011 27" iMac and I'd like to upgrade it. It looks like some web sites are sending another bluetooth antenna (antenna wire that goes to an antenna board) along with a power cable. Then some other places don't send a power cable.

I'm a do it yourself type.. I've already upgraded the video card in this machine to a K4100M. How do I know if I need a power cable or not for this Bluetooth card? Does it depend on the card? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

Yeah, you're gonna need to get power, typically be re-purposing the wire(s) going from the logic board to the original bluetooth module. I just ordered an extra cable so I can hack away at it.

Found a BCM943602CDP which supports BT 4.2, and is en route from eBay. I think I have all the associated pieces, also. Assuming I have success, I'll be sure and post pictures and my end result in this thread.

Allistah

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
Yeah, you're gonna need to get power, typically be re-purposing the wire(s) going from the logic board to the original bluetooth module. I just ordered an extra cable so I can hack away at it.

Found a BCM943602CDP which supports BT 4.2, and is en route from eBay. I think I have all the associated pieces, also. Assuming I have success, I'll be sure and post pictures and my end result in this thread.

Awesome, please let me know how it turns out. I really want the Apple Watch unlock feature. Would you mind sharing the link to the board you bought on eBay? I think I’m going to buy one.

Are you going to extend the BT antenna cable or are you going to install a new, separate BT antenna? I saw some that go to a little board that they’re calling the antenna but not sure how well they work. They claim they work really well.

Allistah

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
Be
9C3FA03B-90FD-449E-A2C3-F0316096EA28.jpeg

Since I’m really after the Apple Watch unlocking, it looks like this is the card I’m going to want to get. My question is will it fit in the 2011 27” iMac? It looks a bit longer than the other cards people are installing.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Awesome, please let me know how it turns out. I really want the Apple Watch unlock feature. Would you mind sharing the link to the board you bought on eBay? I think I’m going to buy one.

Are you going to extend the BT antenna cable or are you going to install a new, separate BT antenna? I saw some that go to a little board that they’re calling the antenna but not sure how well they work. They claim they work really well.

Here’s the one I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-653-...2CDP-WiFi-Bluetooth-Airport-Card/233680879165

Yes, I plan on using a pigtail extension and this adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0762N451V/

Allistah

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
I bought the same one, I agree with you that I think that's the one that's 4.2 and that will for sure work with our Apple Watches. I also got an antenna extension as well as a separate BT antenna board thing that I can use if the existing antenna with the extension doesn't work so well. I'll post everything with pics when I get it along with the data.

I figured between the items below, I should be able to make it work. Two options for the antennas in case one doesn't work well.

These are the items I bought:
Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 3.15.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 3.18.04 PM.png

Last edited:

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I bought the same one, I agree with you that I think that's the one that's 4.2 and that will for sure work with our Apple Watches. I also got an antenna extension as well as a separate BT antenna board thing that I can use if the existing antenna with the extension doesn't work so well. I'll post everything with pics when I get it along with the data.

I figured between the items below, I should be able to make it work. Two options for the antennas in case one doesn't work well.

These are the items I bought:
View attachment 968182

View attachment 968184
Curious on why you bought the extra antenna? I realize they're not expensive, and there is a spot for another connection, but from my observations, it just doesn't seem like there's any place to stick one? Of course you can stick it anywhere, but the "good spots" like behind the Apple logo, and near the top of the chassis, are already taken by the existing two.

Also, how do you plan on getting power to the mini PCI-E adapter? I bought that same one from Amazon, it arrived today. Looks like I got a "Gen 4", which has some extra mounting points in the center in addition to the top end of the card. I think there's gonna be some hackery needed to get the BCM943602CDP to attach securely to this particular adapter.

Allistah

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
I bought the other antenna so I would have an option on hand if I needed it. If things go as planned, I’ll use the existing BT antenna and just extend it so I do t have to find a location for it.

After seeing some of those adapter boards, it looks like the upper portion is just for mounting points. I could drill out a new hole and put a screw and stand-off in there. Will see what I get and what I end up doing. Will post some pics and such.

In regard to power, I’ll have to see if the included wires are able to reach the old Bluetooth board location and tap in there if I can. Otherwise I’ll have to do some more reading.

dac610

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2020
Nope, no firmware problems. It turns out it was a faulty USB power supply connection I made for the BT section; replaced the adapter with one that supply power to both WiFi and BT sections from the PCI socket and no more problems since.

The adaptor supply power from the PCI-E socket to both WiFi and BT sections; if you do not need to control them separately, this works perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.