Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
So, I can't tell if this problem is related: Youtube videos are crazy glitchy. They will speed up to ~20X with no sound and just stop like the video is finished. Only a reboot solves this!

Reactions: Garfunkel

Peter_M

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2018
Last edited:

mobi

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2004
Penn's Woods
I've never experienced this video speed issue in youtube (first time I've heard about it - you should send a bug report to Apple), but some videos lack sound in Safari when played through an external sound card, though they play properly via other Internet browsers (Chrome, Firefox etc.). Ie. another issue that Apple has failed to fix so far...
Examples (Scott Adams videos):
www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=418&v=0QWl_hvhFcY
www.periscope.tv/w/1mnxeXoNAnAJX?q=Scott+Adams

Intermittent audio distortion during Youtube & Music Streaming!

Base config iMac Pro

Anigart

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2018
Same here - Mojave didn't fix it. have an ongoing support ticket with Apple and sent them some diagnosis files, let's see what happens.

Peter_M

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2018
Intermittent audio distortion during Youtube & Music Streaming!

Base config iMac Pro
I still have some sound issues with Safari, but Firefox and Chrome always work. Safari has been disappointing the last year, too many bugs.

Garfunkel

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2018
Antwerp, Belgium
It started with my iMac Pro (standard version) and YouTube videos in Safari, and also in Chrome, but a little less.
It also happens with movies and music videos I stream via the iTunes Store.
Very annoying.
Will report this to the Apple support people tomorrow and see what they advise.

jocolyma

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018
Hey Everyone. yes, same here. I currently have an open case with Apple as of yesterday. Full time Pro user here so this is majorly unacceptable for me as I'm sure it is for most, if not all of you. Have spent days troubleshooting but to no avail. iMac Pro baseline model. High Sierra. It definitely seems like a hardware issue. Same problem happening whether working on Logic Pro X, or watching you tube, or streaming a movie from an external drive and sometimes even when getting an alert on imessage! Before finding this forum, I though I had maybe just ended up with a lemon. Apparently it's not just me. The problem has been intermittent but I'm looking/trouble shooting ways to recreate the problem. I will repost back soon. I would highly recommend everyone who has posted here to open a support case ticket with Apple if that is something they have not already done. The more of us who do this, the more likely it will be they will fix it, if possible.

Couple of things for you all to try:

1) If using Logic Pro X. Launch a session you're working on, put the session in cycle mode and hit play. Walk away and go and do do something else with your valuable time for 50 minutes to an hour. Return and see if the problem has occurred and is still happening? If not, let the cycle continue for another 50 minutes. It seems that once the problem starts, it will continue until you hit stop. It also seems like 50 minutes or so is how long it takes to happen. At least for me in a controlled test.

2) Also or alternatively, try this. If you have an external hard drive, stream a movie from it. Do the same thing. Start the movie and go get a nice lunch. Return after 50 minutes or so and see if the problem has occurred. If it hasn't, let the movie continue to run its course.
[doublepost=1541962338][/doublepost]
Same here - Mojave didn't fix it. have an ongoing support ticket with Apple and sent them some diagnosis files, let's see what happens.

Hi, did you ever hear back from Apple?

TkthiagoX

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2018
It started with my iMac Pro (standard version) and YouTube videos in Safari, and also in Chrome, but a little less.
It also happens with movies and music videos I stream via the iTunes Store.
Very annoying.
Will report this to the Apple support people tomorrow and see what they advise.

This problem is in the browser. every browser has its player

Synthex

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2018
Having the same issue...it'll happen every so often just constant crackling. iMac Pro 8 Core standard Config, running High Sierra. Doesn't happen when I engage my UAD Apollo external interface, only with the internal sound card. This is highly annoying, following hoping for a solution.

zackbake

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2018
I just wanted to chime in because I've been experiencing this problem since I bought my iMac Pro in July.

I edit a lot of video and it seems to happen most when I'm in Premiere or After Effects and I'm listening to any other audio like Youtube, Spotify, and Sirius. I can sometimes snap it out of it when I click back and forth to the explorer window and Premiere. It can be really irritating, so I'm glad I'm seeing people talking about it.

I posted a reference video on Youtube a while ago that I will link to..

jocolyma

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018
I just wanted to chime in because I've been experiencing this problem since I bought my iMac Pro in July.

I edit a lot of video and it seems to happen most when I'm in Premiere or After Effects and I'm listening to any other audio like Youtube, Spotify, and Sirius. I can sometimes snap it out of it when I click back and forth to the explorer window and Premiere. It can be really irritating, so I'm glad I'm seeing people talking about it.

I posted a reference video on Youtube a while ago that I will link to..

Yep! That's the sound. Have you opened a ticket with apple support?

Pangalactic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2016
Since day one my iMac Pro has had weird sound glitches where the sound breaks down as if it was recorded on too high volume (the volume level doesn't change), basically the sound is like it is going through distortion filter in a same sense you could compare the sound of acoustic guitar to distorted electric guitar. It doesn't matter if it is external speakers or the internal, it happens the same. It will stay like this until change from external output to internal or vice versa depending which one you had on when the problem occurred and I remember few times you had to switch it back and forth few times before the problem went away.

After upgrading OSX the phenomenon became rarer and while it sometimes still breaks (and stays broken until the output switch), now I hear loud "cracks" popping every now and then but the sound returns to normal after that. The "cracking" sound is bit like if someone moved the audio jack in and out when the speakers are on.

Since the error appears on both internal and external speakers I think we can rule out faulty cable or even faulty connector on computer. This has to be some sort of sound chip or software problem. Has anyone else run into this? If yes how did you solve? I can't reproduce the error and sometimes it happens often, sometimes it can take long time for it to happen again.

I can't say I've run exactly into this, but pretty similar: my iMac Pro is perfect in Mac OS, but in Bootcamp Windows, the thing that you are describing happens once every 30 minutes or so EVERY SINGLE TIME. So far I've found out that disabling and then enabling sound output in the sound control panel fixes it temporarily - otherwise, no success. Installations and reinstallations don't fix it at all.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Seems like another phantom issue Apple can't figure out. I haven't seen it because I always use an UAD interface, but I have had T2 cip related other issues on an imac pro. I hope someone figures this one out.

luispedrofonseca

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2018
I just bought an iMac Pro and I'm having this issue. It happens only when building a project on Unity or Xcode. It's really annoying that a machine this expensive seems to struggle while doing it.
Anyone got an official answer from Apple? I don't want to take my machine to repair at this point because I'm in the middle of an important project.

moma3

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2018
I am experiencing the same sound issues on my iMac Pro: Distorted sound when working with sound in multiple applications. I am working with clients in the room and this is unacceptable for a $8000 computer.

Has anyone had any luck with Apple support? I took my iMac to the genius bar, they did a clean install of macOS and claimed that the problem is fixed but the issue is still there. It is hard to reproduce the error because it occurs randomly (Anywhere between 10 to 20 times in an 8-hour work day for me).

Apple must know about this sound issue by now. Feels like they are strategically avoiding to acknowledge the problem.

IMAC PRO 27"/3.0 10C/VG64/64GB/2TB

Last edited:

luispedrofonseca

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2018
@moma3 I talked to Apple Support today and they suggested me to do a SMC reset. I did and it solved the issue for approximately 2 hours. Now it's back again...

I also figured out that if I reset the audio system through the terminal it fixes the issue for a short period of time as well.

Code:
sudo killall coreaudiod

Any how, unfortunately at the moment I can't leave my Mac for repair (no Apple Store in my country but there are some approved partners), but once I have some free time I'll definitely do it. And yeah, it's incredibly annoying to have paid so much money for a machine that has this kind of issues.

moma3

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2018
@luispedrofonseca Thank you for the advice, that is good to know. I can usually also fix the sound by switching back and forth several applications and starting and stopping sound playback.

However, these are just workarounds - not a real fix. Like many of you having this problem, I find this not acceptable in a professional production environment.

Well it finally hit me today. Working in Logic X for a couple of hours when playback started glitching, and distorting. Base iMac Pro (8 core, 32gb, Vega 56) running High Sierra 10.13.6.

Multiple projects, just playback and light editing ( I wasn't doing any external sound recording today).

Haven't done anything other than basic quit, reboot, etc. I'm not going to go through a whole bunch of trouble when it's clear than nothing fixes the issue right now.

Extremely frustrating.

Last edited:

luispedrofonseca

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2018
Would be nice to know if/how someone solved the issue at Apple. Lots of people saying they went to Apple but no one reported back. Which is probably a good sign, because if the issue wasn't solved I assume they'd be back here. :)

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Would be nice to know if/how someone solved the issue at Apple. Lots of people saying they went to Apple but no one reported back. Which is probably a good sign, because if the issue wasn't solved I assume they'd be back here. :)
Probably because Apple's stock response for every problem is "wipe and start over". :rolleyes:

Well it finally hit me today. Working in Logic X for a couple of hours when playback started glitching, and distorting. Base iMac Pro (8 core, 32gb, Vega 56) running High Sierra 10.13.6.

Multiple projects, just playback and light editing ( I wasn't doing any external sound recording today).

Haven't done anything other than basic quit, reboot, etc. I'm not going to go through a whole bunch of trouble when it's clear than nothing fixes the issue right now.

Extremely frustrating.

Followup on this it appears that there was some sort of issue with audio interface (or possible user error by me) where the sample rate in Logic was set to a value that isn't supported without the interface and this was causing the freakout. At least I think so as the issue hasn't repeated itself since then. Anyway if something changes I'll post here again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.