Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mahty

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Also of note for people interested in the 2020 27" iMac: the price of the nano-texture option is now only $300 (down from $500).

Reactions: sir grotius

TriApple

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
Similar. I never had a doubt, as I love my maxed-out iMac 27" intel. I mentioned this on the reaction thread, but I do like the design and feel of the new iMac with the M1 but view it as an entry unit, very consumer friendly with an expected more-powerful version or iMac Pro later this year.
Yeah, I'm double excited after yesterday's event:

1. My 2020 iMac BTO purchase remains a good one for me
2. I have increasingly hopeful that my need for Windows will be resolved or possible-to-use by the time they release the 27" - also sort of hopeful for 4 TB3 ports, which is my 2nd biggest miss from my iMac Pro (the first being the amazing cooling system it had)

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Orange 512GB/16GB

may 21-27

I missed the nuance over the extended numeric keypad selection in the store app, assuming that was all language configurations. As much as I’d prefer that, I don’t want to push my wait back another month, so I’ll have to deal with the regular KB.
This is a thread for intel 27” iMacs released in August, 2020.

macmedal

macrumors regular
May 17, 2008
Britannia
Despite all the anticipation of a new replacement 27” iMac I have just ordered a 8gb 2020 27” intel iMac i7 with Pro 5700xt 1TB SSD To replace my 2013 iMac. Will upgrade RAM myself. After much consideration around going down the M1 route including waiting for the second gen chip and large screen ‘iMac pro ‘ I realised that the state of play with gaming on a Mac and the inability to use windows for gaming at this time was a no go for me.

I am only a light gamer and even considered a Mac mini M1 and building a PC again just for gaming, but the cost of GPUs if you can find one is ridiculous. Also I was finding it very hard to find a monitor that matched the quality of the 5k iMac screen without paying the earth. It is a compromise and not really my first choice, but needs must as 2013 iMac is just not cutting it any more.

So before Apple stops selling the bespoke upgrade options for the intel 27“, now on order for 17th May delivery. Will wait for future gens to see where Apple goes with gaming.

jukkhop

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2016
I think your reasoning is valid. That iMac should be more than suitable for light gaming.

The situation being what it is, building a gaming PC may not be feasible right now.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I think your reasoning is valid. That iMac should be more than suitable for light gaming.

The situation being what it is, building a gaming PC may not be feasible right now.
I can play cyberpunk 2077 at 1440p with almost every setting on high in Windows on my 2020 iMac with 5700XT. The 2020 iMac with 5700XT way more than suitable for light gaming, it can play AAA at 60+ FPS.

macmedal

macrumors regular
May 17, 2008
Britannia
I can play cyberpunk 2077 at 1440p with almost every setting on high in Windows on my 2020 iMac with 5700XT. The 2020 iMac with 5700XT way more than suitable for light gaming, it can play AAA at 60+ FPS.
Good to know, thanks for that looking forward to getting it next week!

TriApple

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
Good to know, thanks for that looking forward to getting it next week!
Yeah, it’s really great. I use mine for a lot of work but also connected to an external 34” 1440 ultrawide @ 120hz and get 120 FPS in WoW @ max settings (not a graphically hard game) and also Fortnite for my kids at competitive settings.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Looks like a potential 2021 Intel iMac 27:

I am shopping for a 2020 - a deal fell through yesterday. But this would be really interesting if it included an 11-gen i7. Then benefit is single-core performance for responsiveness. The 10th gen is no slouch but this would be nice too.

It also could be a new Mac Pro too.

sir grotius

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2020
Bucks County, PA
macmedal I purchased a fully tricked out iMac 27 with the 10-core i9, max ram, and 5700 XT for a similar purpose. I didn't feel like going through the hassle of assembling a top-of-the-line PC, especially since I'm a light gamer and all my professional work and entertainment now is on the Apple ecosystem.

The good news is that the 5700 XT cuts through all the games I have tried on it without a bat of the eye. I play more strategy, so Paradox Interactive, some RPGs, and occasionally even Total War, and those beasts I run on high settings too. The screen is spectacular. I went with the nano. I'm surprised I don't hear the fan, which was a concern of mine prior to purchase. It runs whisper quiet.

The only ding is that it's a bit boring, haha. I use two computers for work, the iMac primarily and I have a MBP juxtaposed to my right and I'm looking forward to a rumored M2 MBP in a cool color perhaps to liven up the productivity although the i9 will be the workhorse beast of all trades. :)

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
macmedal I purchased a fully tricked out iMac 27 with the 10-core i9, max ram, and 5700 XT for a similar purpose. I didn't feel like going through the hassle of assembling a top-of-the-line PC, especially since I'm a light gamer and all my professional work and entertainment now is on the Apple ecosystem.

The good news is that the 5700 XT cuts through all the games I have tried on it without a bat of the eye. I play more strategy, so Paradox Interactive, some RPGs, and occasionally even Total War, and those beasts I run on high settings too. The screen is spectacular. I went with the nano. I'm surprised I don't hear the fan, which was a concern of mine prior to purchase. It runs whisper quiet.

The only ding is that it's a bit boring, haha. I use two computers for work, the iMac primarily and I have a MBP juxtaposed to my right and I'm looking forward to a rumored M2 MBP in a cool color perhaps to liven up the productivity although the i9 will be the workhorse beast of all trades. :)

1) Are you running Windows 10 in BootCamp?
2) Does it get hot?

TriApple

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
1) Are you running Windows 10 in BootCamp?
2) Does it get hot?
Can’t speak for him but I have the same except the 8-core.

mine gets hot when I game at high settings offscreen on my high refresh 1440p UW screen.

NOTHING like my MacBook Pro Vega 20 though.

Reactions: pshufd

sir grotius

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2020
Bucks County, PA
I have not noticed any temperatures at all when I run Windows 10 in bootcamp, that said, I use Windows sporadically, no more than 90 minutes at a time, so I'm not pushing anything hard.

Reactions: pshufd

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Just curious. My use on a 10700K would be about 20% CPU usage driving an external 4K monitor or two external 4k monitors. My 2009 iMac 27 runs hot all the time though I guess that should be no surprise.

sir grotius

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2020
Bucks County, PA
Ha yes, I had a 2013 iMac as my prior machine and it was hot a lot. That was one of the reasons I was a bit surprised that this one hasn't any temperature annoyances.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Ha yes, I had a 2013 iMac as my prior machine and it was hot a lot. That was one of the reasons I was a bit surprised that this one hasn't any temperature annoyances.

I don't mind the iMac running hot because the room that it is in is unheated so it's actually helpful in the winter but it's a problem in the summer. I suspect the multi-core aspect helps a lot with thermals as it can run a lot using more cores which is more efficient than running fewer cores at higher clock speeds. The GPU is probably far more efficient as well. I like the idea of the M1X iMac but there's no clue as to when it will come out and Intel compatibility is lost.

Reactions: sir grotius

sir grotius

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2020
Bucks County, PA
Exact same feeling. Not sure what's happening with the ultra M line, although it would make sense. The latest M1 iMacs are cool but I was in the market for that happy pro-consumer level. Do not want to spend 10K on the full-on Mac, but not expecting a 1.5K machine to be cutting-edge enough. I have no idea about emulating or running Intel-based programs on the M chips, yet, although I'm sure there are myriad threads on the topic.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Looks like a potential 2021 Intel iMac 27
I'd love that (seems kind of unlikely, but possible) or better yet a new 21.5" Intel iMac with 11th gen processors (seems highly unlikely). I'm considering replacing my 2011 iMacs that almost always run Windows 10 whilst I can still get new Intel machines. Another option is to keep using them and replace with second hand Intel Macs down the line if the problem of no Bootcamp on Apple Silicon is not resolved. At the time I got base 21.5" mid-2011 iMacs they were much cheaper than what I'd go with now. So if I have to spend a lot more I want to know I'm getting the best value I can and shouldn't need to replace the machines for a long, long time.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I'd love that (seems kind of unlikely, but possible) or better yet a new 21.5" Intel iMac with 11th gen processors (seems highly unlikely). I'm considering replacing my 2011 iMacs that almost always run Windows 10 whilst I can still get new Intel machines. Another option is to keep using them and replace with second hand Intel Macs down the line if the problem of no Bootcamp on Apple Silicon is not resolved. At the time I got base 21.5" mid-2011 iMacs they were much cheaper than what I'd go with now. So if I have to spend a lot more I want to know I'm getting the best value I can and shouldn't need to replace the machines for a long, long time.

I plan to get an M1X something so that I can play around with the architecture. I will keep my big Intel system though for some programs that run much better on x64. I have one program that doesn't run well on Apple Silicon and I also typically use Windows and Linux Virtual Machines. I'd prefer an iMac but would settle for a Mini.

ultradk

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2009
Denmark
Should I jump for the 27" now? I thought something happened yesterday and have now been waiting for some time now.. decision..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.