Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
If I was to get an iMac 27” from apple site with 16gb, do they ship with 4x4gb or 2x8gb?

it’s a refurb
Not sure, but note that with the 2020 for performance it's best to use RAM of the same capacity, speed and manufacturer to get the best performance so if looking to upgrade with 3rd party RAM it shouldn't matter which of these configs you get as you probably won't be able to use the existing RAM anyway.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
The standard 8GB configuration is shipped with two 4GB memory chips. My guess would be that a 16GB unit would have four 4GB chips since they'd simply fill up the remaining two slots.

They are probably not going to be able to tell you with certainty how it is configured, and it may vary, who knows. But this is what I would expect, to be 'safe'.

Reactions: Nicole1980

blairs1

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I ended up just getting the mid tier with 1TB SSD and will get the ram upgrade myself. It seems like these machines are plentiful with restocks almost daily. Wondering if they’re building some of these configurations at factory and sticking refurb labels on them. Shipping from the USA to Canada as well.

Reactions: awsom82

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I ended up just getting the mid tier with 1TB SSD and will get the ram upgrade myself. It seems like these machines are plentiful with restocks almost daily. Wondering if they’re building some of these configurations at factory and sticking refurb labels on them. Shipping from the USA to Canada as well.
I doubt it. I suspect most of the 2020 refurbs are the 14-day returns. Practically new.

blairs1

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I doubt it. I suspect most of the 2020 refurbs are the 14-day returns. Practically new.

it’s truly astonishing if this is true. There is so much stock on these CTO models on the refurb store - at least here in Canada. I got my AppleCare proof of coverage and it says iMac CTO. Should it mention refurbished or no?

does the serial number give it away that it’s refurb?

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
it’s truly astonishing if this is true. There is so much stock on these CTO models on the refurb store - at least here in Canada. I got my AppleCare proof of coverage and it says iMac CTO. Should it mention refurbished or no?

does the serial number give it away that it’s refurb?
I believe the serial number and the box it comes in will identify whether it is a new unit or a refurb. Refurbished units come in plain boxes without the fancy graphics that are on boxes of new units.

blairs1

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I believe the serial number and the box it comes in will identify whether it is a new unit or a refurb. Refurbished units come in plain boxes without the fancy graphics that are on boxes of new units.

Is there any indication as to what the serial number would start with? I don't doubt it's a refurb, just seems to be a lot of these CTO's on the store.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Should I jump for the 27" now? I thought something happened yesterday and have now been waiting for some time now.. decision..

If you need Intel, no reason not to buy now because this model will not be updated. Some solid deals on Amazon for Prime Day with $200-400 off coupons. And the refurb store is loaded with options at really good prices.

I am very close to replacing my 2017 5K with a 2020 refurb. I'd love to see what the "big brother" Apple Silicon iMac brings to the table, but looking more and more like WFH will be permanent for me and right now I use Boot Camp for that.

synicalx1

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2020
Should I jump for the 27" now? I thought something happened yesterday and have now been waiting for some time now.. decision..

I'm about to pull the trigger on one myself I think, it's a decent package if you want/need Intel and a dedicated GPU for something. The Apple Silicon models that are presumably coming *sometime* might not be here for months, and the rumours are starting to make them sound more like a hybrid between an iMac and an iMac Pro which I'd be willing to bet will blow the price right out.

awsom82

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2017
Ekaterinburg
I'm about to pull the trigger on one myself I think, it's a decent package if you want/need Intel and a dedicated GPU for something.
hehe, nice to see you here. And I'm here too. My config in cart for iMac 2020 is around $7000 with tax for an 11-month-old machine... It would be crazy if Apple bumps Intel iMac in august or something. I'm sitting and thinking about an order too... Hard decision.

The Apple Silicon models that are presumably coming *sometime* might not be here for months, and the rumours are starting to make them sound more like a hybrid between an iMac and an iMac Pro which I'd be willing to bet will blow the price right out.
Same here again... if they show iMac 30'' it would be a no-brainer to me.
Can you share a link to those rumors? Wanna read...

Reactions: synicalx1

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
A few days ago I would have been more likely to consider the 2020, but now I'm not sure even the 2020 iMac will be able to do Bootcamp for Windows 11 without some hacks.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Can you share a link to those rumors? Wanna read...

Enjoy!

awsom82

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2017
Ekaterinburg
Ordered mine today for a crazy $6500 for a year-old model.

Feeling crazy.. As I was between XDR and that machine, I'm dreaming Apple to release iMac 30''...

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Ordered mine today for a crazy $6500 for a year-old model.

Feeling crazy.. As I was between XDR and that machine, I'm dreaming Apple to release iMac 30''...

$6500!!! Good grief, that doesn't hardly seem possible. You must have maxed out the storage, RAM, and everything else in order to get to that price.

You do realize that RAM can be upgraded yourself, for much less cost, right?

awsom82

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2017
Ekaterinburg
$6500!!! Good grief, that doesn't hardly seem possible. You must have maxed out the storage, RAM, and everything else in order to get to that price.

You do realize that RAM can be upgraded yourself, for much less cost, right?

That price included tax (20%). 64GB RAM I ordered in other store + Windows 10 Home Box.

Intel i9
5700XT
2GB SSD
Full-size keyboard w/trackpad
Nanotexture glass
10GB/E (I not need now, but price was already sick)
AppleCare+

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
The 64GB RAM kit I bought from Crucial last fall now costs $10 more (from $309 to $319). That’s nowhere near double.

I just checked. I paid $270 for 64 GB of Corsair Vengeance September 2020 and paid $370 a month ago. So not double but still a good deal more. The premium may be higher on higher spec parts.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Mine Crucial 32GBx2 cost me $380.

Prices have been fluctuating. Right after I purchased mine, the price went up to $410 on Amazon. The Corsair Vengeance with the heat spreaders at fast speeds seem to be considered premium products. Lower-speed RAM is cheaper. I think that it's even a few more bucks for the RAM with the lighting package.

screenshot-Sunday-07-18-2021-14-31-00.jpg

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
I need some advice. I have a 2017 Fusion 27" iMac. I am wanting to upgrade but I don't want to give up the screen size, and I also don't want anything bigger than a 27" if thats what they announce in the future. I am considering getting a 2020 iMac to get more future proofing than what I currently have. How much faster will it be than my current iMac?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I need some advice. I have a 2017 Fusion 27" iMac. I am wanting to upgrade but I don't want to give up the screen size, and I also don't want anything bigger than a 27" if thats what they announce in the future. I am considering getting a 2020 iMac to get more future proofing than what I currently have. How much faster will it be than my current iMac?

If you have an i7 and are going to an i7, you'll double the number of cores. So it should be significantly faster for workloads that use multiple cores.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.