Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matjazr

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2023
2020 models have SSD soldered in place so no upgrades possible, even if you are cool with opening it up. You’ll have to use an external SSD. I use a SanDisk 2TB external USB-C drive and get about 500MBytes/second write and 600 MBytes/second read.

If you need faster speeds, then you’ll need to use a thunderbolt case, which will cost a bit more as you’ll have to get an enclosure then get an nVME drive.
great.....u open my wiev and give me idea for soluttion. Thank u

Scarboose

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2018
Just found a base model 2020 27" iMac for $700 - pristine condition, runs beautifully and apple care+ expires tomorrow (which helped for piece of mind when I bought it earlier this week). I'm so incredibly happy with this computer, especially for the price. I'll upgrade the ram in the near future. This computer will easily last me multiple years and based on Apple's latest trend, I believe it will be able to install the latest OS updates for for at least 2 more years.

It might not have an Apple Silicon chip, but those ports, the beautiful screen and overall size - feels like a brand new computer! For those of you on the fence like I was, the 2020 intel iMac is still a great purchase!

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Just found a base model 2020 27" iMac for $700 - pristine condition, runs beautifully and apple care+ expires tomorrow (which helped for piece of mind when I bought it earlier this week). I'm so incredibly happy with this computer, especially for the price. I'll upgrade the ram in the near future. This computer will easily last me multiple years and based on Apple's latest trend, I believe it will be able to install the latest OS updates for for at least 2 more years.

It might not have an Apple Silicon chip, but those ports, the beautiful screen and overall size - feels like a brand new computer! For those of you on the fence like I was, the 2020 intel iMac is still a great purchase!

Congrats. I'm casually looking for one as well. Great price!

Reactions: RyanXM

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015

Congrats! One year after I bought a refurb one directly from Apple I'm still very satisfied and the computer still do what I need without any compromises. I still even play the most recent games at great performances like Street Fighter 6 (With bootcamp).

Unfortunately, it will probably be my last mac, because I'm too used to use Windows alongside macOS. Even if I prefer macOS for daily tasks, Windows is still too important for my gaming needs and the 2 in 1 computer was what made me jump into the world of Macs thanks to the intel processor. Sadly, I have zero interest on M-series Macs. I have the impression more than ever now that the newer macs are very targeted for creators and people making video editing and "niche" stuff like that.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I have the impression more than ever now that the newer macs are very targeted for creators and people making video editing and "niche" stuff like that.
Really? Although I have Final Cut Pro and Pixelmator Pro these type of applications on my M1 Pro MacBook Pro, the daily driver apps are Bear (note taking), web browsing, Microsoft Word, Excel, Teams, Zoom (admin stuff). I disagree that Apple changed their focus on their audiences. On Intel-based Mac, I love the idea of BootCamp that for sure. However my 2020 iMac (mid-range model) is not as smooth as any of my M-based Mac and the fan kicks in to higher RPM from time to time.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Really? Although I have Final Cut Pro and Pixelmator Pro these type of applications on my M1 Pro MacBook Pro, the daily driver apps are Bear (note taking), web browsing, Microsoft Word, Excel, Teams, Zoom (admin stuff). I disagree that Apple changed their focus on their audiences. On Intel-based Mac, I love the idea of BootCamp that for sure. However my 2020 iMac (mid-range model) is not as smooth as any of my M-based Mac and the fan kicks in to higher RPM from time to time.
What I mean by that is there's no reasons for the average user to buy a powerful M-series Mac like the Max and Ultra series because there's not much to do with all this power except what I've said in my previous post. Yes of course the M1 and M2 basic macs are still very good for the average user for all the daily tasks myself included, but I also like to have a computer that can do a little more in the entertainment department (like gaming, of course) and that's why for me, the intel based macs were so attractive. I have a high end 2020 iMac configuration (Except for the processor, not much difference between i7 and i9) and its is by far the best iMac I've ever had.

You're right about the overall "smoothness" though. I don't know why, for for tasks like browsing the web, the M1 chip is extremely smooth. Even Safari on my M1 iPad pro is smoother, but for a "desktop" standard, the web browsing and overall experience is still very fast and I'm sure it still beat many computers. especially the mid-range PC ones released today.

Reactions: osplo

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

Is it possible to upgrade these machines?

I’m quite savvy with building computers so I had a thought to maybe buying a good condition machine then upgrading it with maximum ram, CPU and GPU to whatever it can take though I suppose that’s limited by it being all in one machine.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Is it possible to upgrade these machines?

I’m quite savvy with building computers so I had a thought to maybe buying a good condition machine then upgrading it with maximum ram, CPU and GPU to whatever it can take though I suppose that’s limited by it being all in one machine.

You can add RAM to 128 GB. I do not think that you can upgrade the internal storage. You can just add a USB-C external NVMe SSD for more storage.

These are available new with Applecare for $1,000 from Microcenter.

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles

What are the specs?

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

At this point in time I wouldn't buy an Intel iMac anymore, other than basic tasks like e-mail and web browsing.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
At this point in time I wouldn't buy an Intel iMac anymore, other than basic tasks like e-mail and web browsing.

I would. But mostly for the screen, speakers, webcam and microphones.

Microcenter is still selling the base 2020 for $1,000.

There's a used one for sale in my area for $850 with upgrade RAM though that's too high for me. The owner just bought a Studio and doesn't need the iMac anymore. I think that $850 is too high and there are even upgraded 2020s at $500 in NYC but that's too far away from me.

Jordan Klein

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2016
I bought mine in 2020 and it will probably be my last Mac. I need to virtualize x86 systems (Windows, Linux, ESXi) and none of the M-series Macs can do that. Maybe there will be reasonable x86 software emulation in the future. But if not, then this is the last for me. I don't see the server world switching to ARM any time soon, so virtualizing ARM doesn't help me at all.

Reactions: AAPLGeek

matjazr

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2023
I bought mine in 2020 and it will probably be my last Mac. I need to virtualize x86 systems (Windows, Linux, ESXi) and none of the M-series Macs can do that. Maybe there will be reasonable x86 software emulation in the future. But if not, then this is the last for me. I don't see the server world switching to ARM any time soon, so virtualizing ARM doesn't help me at all.
i am using parrallels desktop for win xp, 7 and 11...and work perfect. ;)

Jordan Klein

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2016
i am using parrallels desktop for win xp, 7 and 11...and work perfect. ;)
Those are ARM versions. I mentioned that ARM versions have no value to me. I need x86 versions, which Parallels can't do on M-Series Macs.

Hopefully that will change in the future. Back in the PPC days, Microsoft sold Virtual PC which emulated x86 processors so you could run Windows or Linux. It was complete software emulation but was surprisingly useable for some cases. I hope someone writes an easy to use emulator that performs well. Not QEMU, as that is the opposite of easy.

macmedal

macrumors regular
May 17, 2008
Britannia
I am using Windows 11 through bootcamp. Can still play most Triple A games (just) but COD MWIII suddenly stopped loading a couple of weeks back, probably because the AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT drivers haven't been updated. I am done with it. Going to sell it, build a PC for gaming and get a a Mac mini. :mad:

RachelAL

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2022
Alabama!
Hmm, that’s funny as I’m of the opposite position. I wouldn’t touch an Mx based Mac, if it were free. They’ve YET to release a Mac that’s better than the iPad Pro. Sure, more graphics cores, more memory, etc, but brass tacks, if you cannot upgrade the Mac, just save the $ and move on to the future which is the iPad Pro.

The Mac, particularly the “Pro” iterations are severely lacking (8GB of unified memory, is a TROLL decision no matter how Apple tries to dress it). Comparing 2024 models to 2020 models to pump simple performance graphs is about as disingenuous a thing as I think I’ve ever seen Apple do. The plain facts are that a modern PC, be it Intel or AMD based, absolutely WRECKS even the latest M3 releases. If anyone actually cared about watts/power consumption Intel would have been out of the desktop market by the 12th generation. Instead, they just released their 14th generation including some very compelling server parts.

Apple, falling behind in this game was quite predictable. Hubris and a captive media that gets banned from “exclusive” events the moment even the slightest criticism of Apple’s decisions are levied, has led us once again to the precipice of the Mac being totally irrelevant. At least this time, the iPad Pro might just save a few customers. I sincerely doubt Apple realizes just how truly revolutionary an iPad running full MacOS with an OLED screen might be. Time will tell.

RachelAL

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2022
Alabama!
You can buy memory from NewEgg or any other PC retailer that sells computer component. I found OWC to be 20-50% higher with their memory prices. Also 2933MHz memory works fine, but it will be retuned to 2666MHz by the chipset. Look for “laptop memory” SO-DIMM DDR4 2933 PC4-23400 or 2666MHz PC4-21300. 8GB sticks should be about $20.

Apple made some bizarre requests with the 10910 as its capable of supporting the higher clock. It’s probably heat and power constrained as a squared iMac was heresy according to Ives. Form before function dammit! 🫣😵‍💫🤡

Last edited:

RyanXM

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
DFW, TX
You can buy memory from NewEgg or any other PC retailer that sells computer component. I found OWC to be 20-50% higher with their memory prices. Also 2933MHz memory works fine, but it will be retuned to 2666MHz by the chipset. Look for “laptop memory” SO-DIMM DDR4 2933 PC4-23400 or 2666MHz PC4-21300. 8GB sticks should be about $20.

Apple made some bizarre requests with the 10910 as its capable of supporting the higher clock. It’s probably heat and power constrained as a squared iMac was heresy according to Ives. Form before function dammit! 🫣😵‍💫🤡
I'm well aware...I did all the memory testing on the 2020 for Rob (RIP) at BareFeats...

Norco

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2007
I just recently picked up a new iMac i5 3.3ghz (2020) w/512GB SSD and love it. I never thought after buying M1 machines I'd go back to Intel, but 2 things drove me to pick this up -- one is that finding a reasonably priced 5K monitor is very challenging and not many choices at all. Surprising that in 2024, even with CES recently wrapping up, there was no real announcements in this regard. Everyone is trying to standardize on 4K, which is not retina for 27".

The second reason why I went for the 2020 iMac is how cheap Apple is with ram on Mx machines. Looking at my use cases and apps, having a high CPU benchmark which Mx chips provide was just not a deciding factor. I don't render 4K footage or do anything of that nature that taxes the machine -- I just want to be able to have multiple apps & tabs open without the machine dumping memory to SSD constantly. I was able to buy (2) 16GB sticks of Apple/Hynix ram from OWC for $20/ea, a steal in my opinion.

Last edited:

BuffyzDead

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
I'm well aware...I did all the memory testing on the 2020 for Rob (RIP) at BareFeats...

according to your link, your conclusion is, (and you write)
"If you don't fill all memory slots, putting memory modules in slots 1 and 3 (or 2 and 4) insures Dual Channel memory mode."

BUT is that grouping, of the memory, over the same "Channel" ?

when I look at my iMac's (in signature below) system report, it details the following, for the total of 40GB's of installed memory.

I am keeping the same Matching memory, within the same "Channel".
Is this not correct? or do I move the memory so a 4GB module and a 16GB module reside in the same "Channel" AND in slots 1 & 3, AND 2 & 4?, as your referenced article implies?

Memory Slots:
ECC: Disabled
Upgradeable Memory: Yes

Slot 1 (Channel A / DIMM 1):
Size: 4 GB
Type: DDR4
Speed: 2667 MHz
Manufacturer: Micron
Part Number: 4ATF51264HZ-2G6E3
Serial Number: 290A1B0D

Slot 2 (Channel A / DIMM 0):
Size: 4 GB
Manufacturer: Micron
Part Number: 4ATF51264HZ-2G6E3
Serial Number: 290A17C2

Slot 3 (Channel B / DIMM 1):
Size: 16 GB
Manufacturer: 0
Part Number: -
Serial Number: 80AF0154

Slot 4 (Channel B / DIMM 0):
Size: 16 GB
Manufacturer: 0
Part Number: -
Serial Number: 80AF02EC

RyanXM

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
DFW, TX
according to your link, your conclusion is, (and you write)
I did the testing, not the article writing…
"If you don't fill all memory slots, putting memory modules in slots 1 and 3 (or 2 and 4) insures Dual Channel memory mode."

BUT is that grouping, of the memory, over the same "Channel" ?

I am keeping the same Matching memory, within the same "Channel".
Is this not correct? or do I move the memory so a 4GB module and a 16GB module reside in the same "Channel" AND in slots 1 & 3, AND 2 & 4?, as your referenced article implies?

Channel 1: Slots 1 & 3
Channel 2: Slots 2 & 4

So…

Slots 1 & 3 should match and Slots 2 & 4 should match…

4GB
16GB
4GB
16GB

That is how to ensure you get Dual Channel active…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.