Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiMarkus

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
Hello,

I noticed when using applications like Pages or Safari and afterwards changing to dashboard, the display shows clearly image retention. I did the image retention test and after only 5 minutes there is a ghosting/retention effect. The image retention disappears in some minutes. In normal use, this doesn’t bother me too much, but I am afraid that this could be a serious defect, that could get worse over the time.

Please, owners of LG 5k Ultrafine, can you try this test for 5 minutes to compare the results. I wondering if all LG 5k show the same issue…

retention.png

Last edited:

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
Its been common experiences with a lot of these types of panels. these are also identical displays in the 5K iMac which exhibited some of these...if these are new it may need some time to use, but I've seen some of these types of panels (iMacs) where is persistent and consistent...so if it doesnt stop after a few days of use may consider exchanging it

I have two panels and I have a few spaces with various solid colored backgrounds to look for any issues but have not noticed anything out of the ordinary, maybe some faint stuff here and there

HiMarkus

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
Its been common experiences with a lot of these types of panels. these are also identical displays in the 5K iMac which exhibited some of these...if these are new it may need some time to use, but I've seen some of these types of panels (iMacs) where is persistent and consistent...so if it doesnt stop after a few days of use may consider exchanging it

I have two panels and I have a few spaces with various solid colored backgrounds to look for any issues but have not noticed anything out of the ordinary, maybe some faint stuff here and there

The image retention itself doesn't bother me so much, since some people say that this effect could be a inherent behaviour of this technology. But the image retention happens so fast, it isn't necessary to use static images/windows a long time to reproduce this effect, after only a few minutes there are clearly visible image retentions, which fade away in less than a minute, but I am really afraid about this could be a serios defect of this panel that could get worse with time so maybe it needs to be changed. Is there anyone else with the same experience?
[doublepost=1490426712][/doublepost]Here is an image where you can see what I mean:

retention-dashboard.JPG

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
I generally use solid backgrounds in various spaces to switch to that mask any retention ands seems to help dissolve the retention, but if i switch to a lighter background space and a page was there, i can see it slightly but they also go away quickly.

HiMarkus

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
It also seems that this effect is slighter when using full brightness (100%), I normally use this screen at 75-80% of brightness.

HiMarkus

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
I tried the image retention test (google search: image retention test). The above images shows the result after only 5 minutes!!!:(. I am sure that this is not normal. Please can anyone do the same test, to compare the result.
View attachment 693475

Last edited:

HiMarkus

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
You should try to swap it out
Some people say that this is a normal behaviour of ISP panels, maybe this happens too all LG 5k panels. If so, it doesn't makes sense to change the display. Therefore, please, if you are a owner of this panel, try this test for 5 minutes an show us the results.

Thanks

Last edited:

HiMarkus

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
Huhu? Where are all the LG 5K owners???, I can't believe that nobody could try this test. In my opinion it's very important to know, if this is an normal behaviour of this panel or if this is a defect that only affects a few displays.

HiMarkus

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
Simple. I have more interesting things to do in life... and have not noticed any such problem.

It's really, really surprising, I thought the same, when I read this discussions about such irrelevant matters of design. And now, there could be an issue that affects the basic function of this device and nobody cares about it. People are strange, sometimes…

Reactions: nikster0029

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I did the test for 5min at maximum brightness and I didn't see any ghosting. I have a 703 monitor.

EDIT:
Updating this post. After owning the monitor for 3 years, I'm now seeing image retention that I didn't see originally. It's quite bad, showing image retention after a minute or so on normal brightness.

Last edited:

HiMarkus

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
I did the test for 5min at maximum brightness and I didn't see any ghosting. I have a 703 monitor.

Thank you very much for this info! So there is hope to get a good one :) 703 is the serial number of the newer displays with shielding?

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Thank you very much for this info! So there is hope to get a good one :) 703 is the serial number of the newer displays with shielding?

702 and up. However, any monitor with a square or circle printed label has shielding. Circles mean it was retrofitted, square means it was added from the beginning. If you don't have a square or circle, return it.

You have to be quick though, the sale ends Friday.

HiMarkus

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
702 and up. However, any monitor with a square or circle printed label has shielding. Circles mean it was retrofitted, square means it was added from the beginning. If you don't have a square or circle, return it.

You have to be quick though, the sale ends Friday.

Perfect, this information is very useful for me. I will check this then. However, the sales end will not be a problem, since the I already bought this monitor. I hope that I have luck and they send me a new one, hopefully without shielding/image retention issue.

Thank you again, have a nice day

HiMarkus

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
This is after only 3 minutes.

This looks very bad too. I am sure that there are a lot of monitors LG 5k where happens the same.

I am still surprised of the lack of interested/responses about this issue. I posted this also in the owners thread and where all folks ignored my comments totally. They still prefer talk about such "important things" like if the design could be better, with a thinner beezle, aluminium, etc. When the most important thing is the image, or I am wrong? It´s hard to understand…
[doublepost=1491668066][/doublepost]For example they comment such important issues like this: :eek:

It's an issues with display brightness (occasionally after startup the brightness is set to the lowest possible value), which I'll describe in the issues thread.

Yes, Apple and LG, please fix this now, than at least we can say, image quality is garbage, but who cares, brightness adjustment works perfectly!!!:)

Last edited:

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
I just tried the image retention test on my two LG 5K displays and on one of them I got absolutely zero signs of image retention after 3 minutes of the grid display and on the other display I got the tiniest hint of retention in the bottom right corner which faded within 5-10 seconds. Both are 702 displays with the black square on the label.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Didn't some MacBooks have image retention? I haven't experienced it myself across monitors.

HiMarkus

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
I just tried the image retention test on my two LG 5K displays and on one of them I got absolutely zero signs of image retention after 3 minutes of the grid display and on the other display I got the tiniest hint of retention in the bottom right corner which faded within 5-10 seconds. Both are 702 displays with the black square on the label.

Hello Craig,

Thank you for this info. So there is hope to get a good one. Today I returned my display, I hope to get a monitor without image retention:)

Reactions: craig1410

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2017
At my work I have a imac and it has this effect. I have made my background change once a minute. and this makes it a little better.

I think maybe it will get worse over time because it did not used to do this until a few months ago.

Are you saying I should avoid buying this monitor from LG too? Does anyone know a good monitor to buy without this effect?

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2017
update: still having the retention on my imac and have now gone through 3 different screens from apple and they all developed the retention.

Avoid iMacs and avoid LG displays.

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
update: still having the retention on my imac and have now gone through 3 different screens from apple and they all developed the retention.

Avoid iMacs and avoid LG displays.

Just to add some balance, I have a late 2014 iMac and two LG Ultrafine 5K displays and none of them exhibit retention. Sorry to hear you've been unlucky in your own experience.

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2017
Just to add some balance, I have a late 2014 iMac and two LG Ultrafine 5K displays and none of them exhibit retention. Sorry to hear you've been unlucky in your own experience.

It's very confusing to me because I don't think I am just getting unlucky, I think there must be something else going on here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.