Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Somian

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Has anybody been able to get these repaired recently?

I have two of those monitors, both purchased around march 2017 and they both have the same image retention problem. One of them was also in repair already for the shielding issue a few years ago.

I tried to reach out to LG customer support. Their website just tells me to talk to a local service provider (I called a bunch of LG service providers in a 100 mile radius and they only repair washing machines and TVs).

I reached out to LG support on twitter and they said they created a service request but I haven't received anything. I also sent an e-mail to customer support...

This is obviously a serial issue that probably affects every monitor of that series. I feel like there should at least be a path to get this fixed, but I feel like LG is just ignoring me at this point.

Apart from this issue, everything is fine and I really like those monitors. The image retention starts typically just after a few minutes of showing a high-contrast image (like the menubar text and icons) and takes ~10 minutes to completely disappear again.
IMG_8013.jpg
IMG_8068.jpg

Last edited:

EddieK420

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009

I have two of those monitors, both purchased around march 2017 and they both have the same image retention problem. One of them was also in repair already for the shielding issue a few years ago.

I tried to reach out to LG customer support. Their website just tells me to talk to a local service provider (I called a bunch of LG service providers in a 100 mile radius and they only repair washing machines and TVs).

I reached out to LG support on twitter and they said they created a service request but I haven't received anything. I also sent an e-mail to customer support...

This is obviously a serial issue that probably affects every monitor of that series. I feel like there should at least be a path to get this fixed, but I feel like LG is just ignoring me at this point.

Apart from this issue, everything is fine and I really like those monitors. The image retention starts typically just after a few minutes of showing a high-contrast image (like the menubar text and icons) and takes ~10 minutes to completely disappear again.

View attachment 1734355 View attachment 1734354
I am in the same situation. I filled out a form on their website and they asked for a purchase receipt which I don’t have. Mine is rev B from 2017. Please let me know if you find a way to have these fixed. I am gonna give it another shot through LG’s website.

It is an awesome monitor and it is a darned shamed LG is not fixing this issue. We should get organized and see about a class action lawsuit against LG for these expensive monitors.

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US

View attachment 1734355 View attachment 1734354
As you experienced, LG is no longer willing to repair these out of warranty. They used to have a program that for $150 + Tax they would repair them, including sending you a prepaid shipping box. They stopped it in early 2020 and blamed a move of facility and Covid. They refer you to authorized service centers that have no clue what to do with these. Having had a similar experience I avoid the LG brand altogether (monitors, TV and appliances). However, as we have learned, the 5K segment has no good competing offerings at the price point. I splurged for the Apple XDR to replace a pair of the LG5K's - One 32" monitor at double the price of the pair of LGs, but a joy to use.

Somian

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
I have a bunch of LG stuff (household appliances and just ordered a new projector). I like the brand and their design, but I'm starting to get really frustrated.

@EddieK420

What form on their Website are you referring to?

LG's Terms of Service forbid class-action lawsuits… :mad: All I want is an opportunity to have my monitors fixed.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
LG display panels are notorious for image retention going back at least 15 years. The panels they provided for the 24" iMacs of 2006-2009 had the issue quite prevalently, the later 27"s and 5k iMacs with LG panels suffer from the same issue, the displays they provided for the Retina MacBook Pros suffered from it as well. Seems like their standalone displays are just as affected by this issue. LG does not seem to particularly care to address the issue either, in some of my contact with them they wrote it off as a normal part of IPS displays. I would not recommend LG panels to anyone at all.

Somian

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Strange. I've had said 2008 24" iMac and currently have an iMac Pro after a bunch of previous iMacs. I don't know if they used LG panels, but there was zero image retention. I've also used a 2016 LG TV for years for playing video games (with heavy high-contrast HUD) and a 2012 LG LCD projector and noticed no image retention.

The only issues I've had with LG panels is with the UltraFine 5k.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
It's a hit or miss thing, some have it some don't. I personally own 2 affected 24"s, they have seemed to get worse with age. The severity also varies. Sometimes it's very light and fades fast, other times it appears like this:
1614266058895.png

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
I've had success temporarily by disconnecting the power to the display overnight. It's fine for a while, but eventually does come back again.

boooomerrr

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2021
Hi there, ocasionally found this topic while looking for review on LG 5k. Looking for purchase one and find this issue...
So test the iamge retention on my thunderbolt display 27 (2nd hand). It has no such problem.

rn dont know what to do... keep using thunderbolt display or try a LG 5K... btw the design of thunderbolt display is way better thant LG one.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Strange. I've had said 2008 24" iMac and currently have an iMac Pro after a bunch of previous iMacs. I don't know if they used LG panels, but there was zero image retention. I've also used a 2016 LG TV for years for playing video games (with heavy high-contrast HUD) and a 2012 LG LCD projector and noticed no image retention.

The only issues I've had with LG panels is with the UltraFine 5k.
I had a 2014 5K iMac, and it developed image retention sometime in late 2018. That image retention was permanent. It would not go away overnight or even after multiple days if cycling screensavers.

I replaced the screen on it with an LG screen I bought on Alibaba in the summer of 2020 from China. So far there is no image retention with that screen.

EddieK420

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
I had a 2014 5K iMac, and it developed image retention sometime in late 2018. That image retention was permanent. It would not go away overnight or even after multiple days if cycling screensavers.

I replaced the screen on it with an LG screen I bought on Alibaba in the summer of 2020 from China. So far there is no image retention with that screen.
Did you buy just the lcd panel? I wonder if there is a replacement LCD panel for the LG ultrafine 5K and what the part number is

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Did you buy just the lcd panel? I wonder if there is a replacement LCD panel for the LG ultrafine 5K and what the part number is
You should look at 5K panels on Alibaba and ask the vendors if any of their panels fit the LG monitors.

I also bought a 5K display on Alibaba (Chinese no-brand) that has an LG 5K panel in it. It started showing image retention within one month of use. But the image retention is not permanent. It goes away within a few minutes. Still, it’s annoying. The company would not return emails, and it’s off Alibaba. Probably went out of business. I still like that display. It was half the price of the 5K LG display.

EddieK420

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
You should look at 5K panels on Alibaba and ask the vendors if any of their panels fit the LG monitors.

I also bought a 5K display on Alibaba (Chinese no-brand) that has an LG 5K panel in it. It started showing image retention within one month of use. But the image retention is not permanent. It goes away within a few minutes. Still, it’s annoying. The company would not return emails, and it’s off Alibaba. Probably went out of business. I still like that display. It was half the price of the 5K LG display.
How much did you pay for it? There is a seller on eBay that changes the boards for these monitors and I messaged him. He quoted me $475 for the part and $115 for labor and shipping back to me. He said he did not have the part and would need to order it. He seems legit and he is from Denver. Do you think it’s worth it?

I was thinking maybe I can find the part and do the work myself but I don’t know where to find them and even if I did I don’t know which one is the correct one for the particular version/model# of the ultrafine 5K that I own.

ps: here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/234037281404

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
How much did you pay for it? There is a seller on eBay that changes the boards for these monitors and I messaged him. He quoted me $475 for the part and $115 for labor and shipping back to me. He said he did not have the part and would need to order it. He seems legit and he is from Denver. Do you think it’s worth it?

I was thinking maybe I can find the part and do the work myself but I don’t know where to find them and even if I did I don’t know which one is the correct one for the particular version/model# of the ultrafine 5K that I own.

ps: here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/234037281404
I purchased the panel on Alibaba for $250, and the shipping was $80 (if I remember correctly), but it was a year ago. The panels went up in price since then due to the increased demand because of work from home during the COVID-19 pandemic. The shipping costs also went up. Check on Alibaba. There are only a few vendors who sell 5K LG panels there. Don’t deal with AliExpress.

Reactions: EddieK420

EddieK420

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
I purchased the panel on Alibaba for $250, and the shipping was $80 (if I remember correctly), but it was a year ago. The panels went up in price since then due to the increased demand because of work from home during the COVID-19 pandemic. The shipping costs also went up. Check on Alibaba. There are only a few vendors who sell 5K LG panels there. Don’t deal with AliExpress.
So did you replace the lcd panel on your lg ultrafine 5K yourself? Was it hard?
Do you remember the part number?

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
So did you replace the lcd panel on your lg ultrafine 5K yourself? Was it hard?
Do you remember the part number?
I replaced the 5K panel on the 2014 iMac myself with an LG panel I bought on Alibaba.

I also bought a no-name 5K monitor (that came with an LG panel) on Alibaba.

I don’t have an LG UltraFine monitor. I bought one in April of 2020, but I returned it. I didn’t think it was worth the money. The no-name 5K monitor I bought for $600 from Alibaba (including shipment) looks similar to the LG UltraFine 5K.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.