Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmantn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Tn
Trying to see if this is a big on my end or if iMessage is doing something here.

I’ve taken an HDR video on my iPhone 12 Pro Max and sent it to someone through iMessage that also has an iPhone 12 Pro Max.

They said the video wasn’t in HDR. trying to figure out why. I can airplay my video to my tv and it’s definitely HDR.

I am unable to airDrop this at the moment hence iMessage being the way I tried to share. I’m aware I can upload to YouTube as ultimately I did it that way.

Any ideas why this wouldn’t go through as HDR via iMessage from one iPhone 13 to another?

Edit: Answered elsewhere, seems it should work over iMessage and my friend was either incorrect or I stumbled onto a bug.

Last edited:

Forrester321

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2020
Pretty sure you can't send HDR videos via iMessage, I did many tests, even if you're sending to another iPhone 12

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Pretty sure you can't send HDR videos via iMessage, I did many tests, even if you're sending to another iPhone 12
Same. It strips out the HDR data so only SDR is shown. Seems like a big oversight on the messages team here. Same happens with HDR photos (not smart HDR).

[EDIT] Looks like sharing an iCloud link preserves the info.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.