Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
17,1 iMac, iTunes12.6.2, Home Sharing ON, iOS11 10.5" iPad Pro. I am unable to see any ripped or video file Home Movies on my iMac in iTunes from my iPad Pro using the TV App.

I can only see purchased Apple Movies in iTunes on my iPad Pro.

Has anyone else seen this inability to see Home Movies from iTunes via Home Sharing on a portable device in iOS11?

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Settings/TV/Home Sharing/ My Apple Identity. If I click it, I am asked to sign-out. So yes, I am signed in.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I can see anything I purchased from iTunes Store: movies, TV Episodes. But nothing from my ripped DVDs, designated as Home Movie.

It's as if Apple has blocked streaming anything except purchased from them?

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
On the TV app on my iPhone I've got my Library and under that I've got TV Shows, Movies, Downloaded, and then I've got my shared Library.
The first two are my iTunes purchases and Downloaded is stuff I've synced to my iPad via iTunes.
Under the shared library I've also got TV Shows, and Movies, as well as Home Movies. Those are all from the iTunes library on my MacMini which is hosting my shared library.

So if you're seeing your purchases but not your shared library it sounds like you've got a problem with your Home Sharing setup.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Are you using ios11 to stream from your Mac?

Do you specifically stream Home Movies using WiFi from Mac to ios11 iphone?

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
It's actually worse than that - if you copy videos from your itunes collection directly to your phone and you happen to be in a place where you want to listen to the audio (I sometimes listen to the audio of videos while driving from office to office for my day gig) and now it demands to be connected to a wifi access point to be able to play them even if they are stored on your device. I believe this is a "for the love of God, don't watch videos while driving" feature but in all reality sometimes content I want isn't available as a podcast and I'm listening to the audio portion of a guitar demo video from Anderton's music store in the UK and am not actually viewing the content but just the audio portion.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Are you using ios11 to stream from your Mac?

Do you specifically stream Home Movies using WiFi from Mac to ios11 iphone?

Just did a test and while the Home Videos section of the shared library is visible on my phone — there’s no way to actually play them. TV shows in the shared library do play.
I am using iOS 11 so I’m assuming that’s just a bug and will be fixed in the final version.
[doublepost=1502808960][/doublepost]
It's actually worse than that - if you copy videos from your itunes collection directly to your phone and you happen to be in a place where you want to listen to the audio (I sometimes listen to the audio of videos while driving from office to office for my day gig) and now it demands to be connected to a wifi access point to be able to play them even if they are stored on your device.

I’ve had the TV app lockup like it was searching for a WiFi connection but all I had to do was reboot the phone and then the videos would play just fine without one. I’m constantly watching videos while waiting in lines in public places with no WiFi.

I also was able to play them while hooked up to my car stereo so it's definitely NOT a don't watch while driving feature.

Last edited:

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
On an iPad Air in ios10, I used to STREAM any video I had stored in iTunes library on my iMac via my WiFi, except the high resolution versions.

NOW in ios11, I can stream ONLY the high resolution videos I purchased in iTunes. Or play any video stored locally on the iPad Pro.

immigrantsong

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2008
Macon, GA
On an iPad Air in ios10, I used to STREAM any video I had stored in iTunes library on my iMac via my WiFi, except the high resolution versions.

NOW in ios11, I can stream ONLY the high resolution videos I purchased in iTunes. Or play any video stored locally on the iPad Pro.

Same issue here with IOS Public beta 4 on iPad Pro 9.7. It’s as if the TV app no longer knows how to “stream” from my shared iTunes library on my iMac. And for comparison, I CAN stream them on my iPad mini and my iPhone 7+ (which are both still on IOS 10).

Point being that iTunes home sharing from my iMac to my iPad mini, or my iPhone or my Apple TV works fine.

But it does not work in IOS 11.

In fact, the TV app in IOS 11 doesn't even show a play icon for the items. It will list everything in the shared library. But when you select one, it displays the info for the movie, but there’s no play icon displayed.

It’s as if Apple either intentionally turned that off, or it’s a major bug....or they had an intern rewrite it from scratch for IOS 11, and they “didn’t know it did that” previously. (Bit of frustrated sarcasm there.)

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
In fact, the TV app in IOS 11 doesn't even show a play icon for the items. It will list everything in the shared library. But when you select one, it displays the info for the movie, but there’s no play icon displayed.

There's no play icon for Movies and Home Movies but TV shows play just fine.
It's just a bug.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
On my iOS11 10.5" iPad Pro, I am saying that TV App CANNOT SEE any home movie files in my iMac iTunes library. If the iPad Pro can't see them, it can't play them, whether I have a play button or not. Home sharing is always ON. I never turn it off, on both iMac and iPad Pro.

That is a huge bug. It's like Apple is saying: the only movie files we will stream are files we sell you.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
On my iOS11 10.5" iPad Pro, I am saying that TV App CANNOT SEE any home movie files in my iMac iTunes library. If the iPad Pro can't see them, it can't play them, whether I have a play button or not. Home sharing is always ON. I never turn it off, on both iMac and iPad Pro.

That is a huge bug. It's like Apple is saying: the only movie files we will stream are files we sell you.

Not trying to be argumentative but since it seems like you're the only one having this issue (the shared items appear for me and they appear for immigrantsong -- they don't play... but they do appear) it seems more like an issue with your particular setup. Have you tried turning your sharing off and on again? Logging out and then back in? Even my Apple TV sometimes loses access to my Mac Mini and neither of those are on betas.
And since this is a bug -- no, Apple is not sending messages to anyone. Bugs don't have intent. They're just mistakes that haven't been corrected yet.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I now see that iTunes 12.6 MUST BE RUNNING, for Home Sharing w TV App to see/share HOME MOVIES stored in my iTunes library. Sheeeesh. Some days.

It was a little confusing as iTunes does not need to be running to share anything purchased through iTunes, as the Apple Store and iCloud handle iTunes sharing.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
I've also tried rebooting the phone and find my phone still refuses to play downloaded content to the phone using the TV app if wifi is not enabled. Frustrating. It's obvious they're gearing this up to be like a 'iTunes Radio' for video content.

If I can find a third party app to replace this turkey I will - it may be a bug but I've actually reported it as a bug several times with no joy. I just reported it again too.

Last edited:

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
This may be a dumb question, but how is iTunes going to send the iTunes hard drive stored video to your phone without wifi?

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
It's stored on the phone already, placed there via an archaic thing called a lightning cable when the phone is plugged into the computer. It's how my music gets copied over there as well. The old movies app played things fine.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
beta-8 fixed the missing play button on Movies and Home Movies.
And my downloaded stuff plays just fine even in airplane mode so there is definitely no WiFi requirement.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
It's stored on the phone already, placed there via an archaic thing called a lightning cable when the phone is plugged into the computer. It's how my music gets copied over there as well. The old movies app played things fine.
Sorry, I missed your point of simply playing a video on you phone.

Not sure if this is relevant, but I had a music video that would not stream from my iMac to my iOS 11 iPad Pro. I used Prizm App to convert to another music file type, and the video streams beautifully on my iPad Pro after the conversion.

popcorn-in-sac

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Seattle, WA area
beta-8 fixed the missing play button on Movies and Home Movies.
And my downloaded stuff plays just fine even in airplane mode so there is definitely no WiFi requirement.
Are you able to play your video content via Home Sharing? I have the play button as well, but everything I attempt to play just fails with a “Request timed-out error”.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Are you able to play your video content via Home Sharing? I have the play button as well, but everything I attempt to play just fails with a “Request timed-out error”.
I stupidly did not make the connection that iTunes must be running, to Home Share Home movies. It confused me because my iOS 11 iPad Pro doesn’t need iTunes running to play movies purchased from the iTunes Store.

popcorn-in-sac

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Seattle, WA area
I stupidly did not make the connection that iTunes must be running, to Home Share Home movies. It confused me because my iOS 11 iPad Pro doesn’t need iTunes running to play movies purchased from the iTunes Store.
Thanks. I am running iTunes and can see all my local content, but none of the video content will actually play....it just times out. Sounds like you aren’t experiencing this issue.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Do you possibly have two WiFi accounts, and you are trying to stream from the wrong one? I’m probably not using the correct terminology.

Or are both devices signed into the same Apple ID account?

popcorn-in-sac

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Seattle, WA area
Do you possibly have two WiFi accounts, and you are trying to stream from the wrong one? I’m probably not using the correct terminology.

Or are both devices signed into the same Apple ID account?
In my case, everything is using the same Apple ID, and I can play music via Home Sharing just fine. I can also play the same videos using an iOS 10 device, no problem.

It's only my iPad Pro 10.5" running the iOS 11 PB that's having this issue. I went ahead and submitted feedback to Apple, but was still curious if anyone else had this experience.

It sounds like once you got past the iTunes running issue, your home videos play fine, which is great. That tells me at least that not everyone is unable to play video files via Home Sharing in iOS 11.

I did the usual stuff -- reboot the iPad, reboot the Mac running iTunes, reset all settings on the iPad, etc. Nothing has changed the behavior so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.