Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newphone12

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2020
@SergioRZ Does not see an HDR shift while editing on the 12 Pro, but also in 14.2 and scared to update after seeing my clip. I didn't see an issue while using 14.2 either, so not sure if this is confined to the 12 Pro Max.

Last edited:

SergioRZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2020
Still having HDR shift behavior after full restore to factory state as "new iPhone".

newphone12

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2020
Hi @ajdb9 & @yuriy k. - Sorry to hear you're experiencing this too. If it's possible for you, I would suggest calling Apple support so they know this issue exists with different models and capacities. Maybe it'll help resolve more quickly too. Right now it seems that the only way for you to show them the HDR shift is to take a video clip with another device. No other methods I know of will capture it.

Aero-25

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2020
I noticed today that I have some kind of weird behavior with videos. I recorded a video and when I go in edit mode and just click in the middle of the screen on my video, the brightness also increases and I lose a lot of details.

Do you have the same "problem" with videos?

Last edited:

Saeloe

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2016
I have the same "feature" or problem. Pics taken with iPhone 12 Pro Max 512 Gold (any camera of the four) appear a bit dull on Photos but when I hit the Edit-button, it clearly pops out from the screen, like HDR viewing turned on. On videos there is the brightness and HDR clearly used all the time in the Photos app, not only when in Edit-mode. Screenshots don't have this effect when viewed in Edit-mode, so I'm guessing it's a bug how the Photos are viewed. All HDR features are On in Settings. This happens even if I turn the screen brightness to 100 %.

Reactions: Eye In The Sky

althaur

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
MD, USA
Noticed my 12 PM doing the same thing this morning when I took a proraw photo. Brightened in editing, then dimmed when I saved it. Got a quick video that shows it, although not as visible as it is to the eye.

Last edited:

Joespontiac

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2018
Mine does this too. iPhone 12 Pro Max 128.
of you screen record it does do it but not as much. I’ll try and attach a clip, look at the lighting on the reindeer

Reactions: Eye In The Sky

Eye In The Sky

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2015
Probably an old subject and pretty much a silly question... but hey, I just noticed this today so please bear with me.

I noticed that when I go into edit mode on a photo, the brightness automatically increases a bit... even if I do absolutely nothing to the photo. When I exit edit mode, the brightness goes down back to the level it was before.

So, what's happening? Is that some feature to allow the user to see better/more when editing a photo?

Thanks!
The exact situation is happening with my iPhone 12 Max Pro. I called Apple Support the other day and created a ticket. Very annoying bug. Tried everything you’ve tried as well...

SergioRZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2020
@SergioRZ - I just called in to see if there was new info from Apple on this. A senior tech advisor from creative told me that their engineers are working on it and we should see a resolve in a future update, possibly 14.4. He was unable to give an ETA on when the update will be available.

Great, thanks for the update, let's hope 14.4 doesn't take too long ;)

I wonder if they will fix it in a way that allows us to see that glorious HDR all the time?

Now that I think of it, it would be really great to have the option to toggle HDR view ON and OFF right there when looking at a photo, without having to go to the settings. Sometimes I want to see how a photo will display on a non-HDR screen... but I don't want to have to disable it completely to see that momentarily.

Pixels7

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
I have this issue as well on my black 12 mini, 128gb. This mini is going back on Monday due to other problems, but I will report this bug too.

Xalegorn

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2021
Italy
Hi from Italy

Same issue for me. iPhone 12 Pro 256gb blue.
I thought I was crazy because I found nothing online about this incredible behaviour until I landed here. Thanks people.

I went through all the steps you described, in the end it’s clear now: view mode doesn’t show pics as bright (and beautiful) as edit mode. They are somewhat washed out.
It’s very bad a for a phone version that is supposed to be “Pro”.

Hope they fix it in due course!!! I guess and hope it’s “just” a software issue.

I also opened a discussion on this on Apple forum. I strongly hope they understand how bad this is for photo makers.

Tein

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2021
New Zealand
Probably an old subject and pretty much a silly question... but hey, I just noticed this today so please bear with me.

I noticed that when I go into edit mode on a photo, the brightness automatically increases a bit... even if I do absolutely nothing to the photo. When I exit edit mode, the brightness goes down back to the level it was before.

So, what's happening? Is that some feature to allow the user to see better/more when editing a photo?

Thanks!
I have iPhone 12 Pro Max 128GB and have exact same issue
wife has iPhone 11 Pro..side by side photos taken shows her photo is full HDR but mine won't HDR until I hit the edit button

gone into photo settings and turned off HDR and repeated - no contract increase

definitely and issue

Eye In The Sky

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2015

Thanks!
FYI: Just downloaded the beta version of ios 14.4 and this issue was fixed!! ??

wanderweg

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2021
What a relief! This has been driving me crazy for weeks and this forum is the first place I've been able to find information about it. Thanks to those who did all the hard work of getting Apple to look at the bug. I'm now cautiously hopeful that iOS 14.4 will include a fix. ?

Eye In The Sky

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2015
What a relief! This has been driving me crazy for weeks and this forum is the first place I've been able to find information about it. Thanks to those who did all the hard work of getting Apple to look at the bug. I'm now cautiously hopeful that iOS 14.4 will include a fix. ?
I’m happy to report that iOS 14.4 definitely fixed the problem. I was as frustrated as you and called Apple Support twice myself...

rcf

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2021
Newphone12,

All are 128gb.

My question was if you hit the bottom left, you’ll notice the photo is automatically adjusted after it’s opened without intervention

Edit:
Maybe a quick test.
Edit the picture to your liking. Then after you’re done. Send it to your email. Does it keep your adjustments / edits true?

maybe the brightness is just a “convenience” feature to see more while editing? I’m also on auto brightness.
I ended up here with this issue and you’re right I think - when you go into edit mode it turns up the brightness. If you crank the brightness and then edit/view the problem no longer occurs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.